Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

4,028 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Quite the gap between eastern slope of the Rockies and the plains from eastern Dakotas to Eastern Texas. Only a few crossing from west to east (UTEP/CUSA, Denver/Summit) or east to west (UND/Big Sky). Still would have preferred UND stay in the Sky. :(

Not saying there aren't valid reasons for a fan to want UND in the Big Sky, but what about being in the Big Sky is more appealing to you personally for UND?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Not saying there aren't valid reasons for a fan to want UND in the Big Sky, but what about being in the Big Sky is more appealing to you personally for UND?

Honestly the only reason I really liked it was because I knew football would play at UNC every other year. I wasn't a fan of the move to the Summit at first but after some time I am now for it. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this "NDSU to MVC" noise it real, does it give UND carte blanche to relook at conferences and affiliations? 

A scenario with NDSU jumping eliminates about 1/3 of the good reasons of the move to the Summit/MVFC. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If this "NDSU to MVC" noise it real, does it give UND carte blanche to relook at conferences and affiliations? 

A scenario with NDSU jumping eliminates about 1/3 of the good reasons of the move to the Summit/MVFC. 

NdSU mbb just took a big step back by losing Khy Khabbelish (sp).  Their superiority complex was just hit with news that the MVC sees more value in Murray St than them, even for fb.  The bizons are going to have to dig deep to put up with all the rejection.

Can't believe both the OVC and MVC fb schedules will be adjusted this fall.

Like I said earlier, Valpo to MVC this fall.

Murray St and NDSU to MVC in 2018.

UND, Denver, Omaha, Montanas, Idaho, EWU, and UNC to WAC looks more and more possible with NMSU and UMKC.

The Big Sky and WAC far west teams realign together.

The SD schools would be jumping for joy with the new Slummit.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Not saying there aren't valid reasons for a fan to want UND in the Big Sky, but what about being in the Big Sky is more appealing to you personally for UND?

I live in Arizona. More Big Sky coverage here. When I was at UND (78 grad), the Big Sky was the conference I thought both UND and NDSU should join.

I disagree with the idea that UND will struggle in the Summit, this school year was fun to watch. 4 Big Sky banners in the 4 major team sports may not be repeated (ever), but it tells me that UND found its place in the Sky. 

And to top it all off, the Big Sky gave UND a home when the MVFC didn't. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens to the Summit's auto bid if NDSU leaves and takes its baseball team, leaving only 5 teams? Basketball + soccer + ???

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, zonadub said:

What happens to the Summit's auto bid if NDSU leaves and takes its baseball team, leaving only 5 teams? Basketball + soccer + ???

There doesn't appear to be a baseball team available but maybe No Colo can be coaxed from the WAC for that sport.  If two soccer teams leave too we would be up a Creek.  Mens soccer could get MAC schools now, as Buffalo has dropped it and they have only five now.  Akron and WVU teams are powers, as is Denver.  Baseball needs to lose only one.

UND and USD could restart non scholarship teams on very low budgets.  But that creates T IX problems.

But the best long term solution is to have Summit fb by inviting the Montanas etc, and not worry about baseball and men's soccer numbers.  Fb conferences only have to sponsor mens bb and no other team sports.  Or else fold the hockey NCHC into the Summit and use that instead of baseball.

A conference  mix of fb and non fb teams is simply a bad recipe, as a conference doesn't have numbers to protect itself long term.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NdSU mbb just took a big step back by losing Khy Khabbelish (sp).  Their superiority complex was just hit with news that the MVC sees more value in Murray St than them, even for fb.  The bizons are going to have to dig deep to put up with all the rejection.

Can't believe both the OVC and MVC fb schedules will be adjusted this fall.

Like I said earlier, Valpo to MVC this fall.

Murray St and NDSU to MVC in 2018.

UND, Denver, Omaha, Montanas, Idaho, EWU, and UNC to WAC looks more and more possible with NMSU and UMKC.

The Big Sky and WAC far west teams realign together.

The SD schools would be jumping for joy with the new Slummit.

You continue to confuse fan attitudes with those that matter. 

Keep pushing your UND to WAC idea. It's all you have left. Certainly your credibility has disappeared. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

You continue to confuse fan attitudes with those that matter. 

Keep pushing your UND to WAC idea. It's all you have left. Certainly your credibility has disappeared. 

Post them just for you because it's apparent your little bug brain can't comprehend them.  Maybe you will eventually.  Or you can put me on ignore, but you are too stubborn for that.

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, southpaw said:

You continue to confuse fan attitudes with those that matter. 

Keep pushing your UND to WAC idea. It's all you have left. Certainly your credibility has disappeared. 

Well hes named pretty much every school that isnt in a big conference and some that are----so hes gotta get at least one right wouldnt you think?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Well hes named pretty much every school that isnt in a big conference and some that are----so hes gotta get at least one right wouldnt you think?

This troll and Southpaw are like Snowflakes on campus.  They don't like what you say and they want a safe place without others like me, so they want me banned instead of putting me on ignore.  The world owes them a safe place.  Pussified world and these posters are a reason for it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This troll and Southpaw are like Snowflakes on campus.  They don't like what you say and they want a safe place without others like me, so they want me banned instead of putting me on ignore.  The world owes them a safe place.  Pussified world and these posters are a reason for it.

Now thats some paranoid  extrapolation !!!!!! .   :lol:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Summit, right now, because of Wichita's move and the fallout from it, even with UND lined up to come in, is less stable than it was 12 months ago. 

Why? It could easily be hit directly, secondarily, or tertiarily, when the MVC acts. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Not saying there aren't valid reasons for a fan to want UND in the Big Sky, but what about being in the Big Sky is more appealing to you personally for UND?

Why is the MVC more appealing to NDSU for you?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Why is the MVC more appealing to NDSU for you?

Honestly, the old school folks remember the MVC as the precursor to the Big 8.
Schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska were MVC founders in the 1920s.
Schools like Houston, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis State built it post-WWII. 

They hear MVC and remember those glory days and believe the MVC name still has panache in a Snapchat world. 

Hint: It's not your great-grandpappy's or even your grandpappy's MVC any more. 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if I were Douple, looking at the long term health of the conference, I would be exploring Summit football. 

If the rumors are true about Murray going to the MVC, is it possible that WIU would go to the OVC, as Murray's replacement?

The conference has taken a shift westward, leaving WIU on an island of sorts.  An island somewhat closer to the OVC footprint,

Then you have the Indiana alphabet schools.  Fort Wayne plays baseball.  Could they be plucked by the Horizon?

You need 6 for baseball and If WIU or Ft. Wayne leaves, you only have 5.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

if I were Douple, looking at the long term health of the conference, I would be exploring Summit football. 

If the rumors are true about Murray going to the MVC, is it possible that WIU would go to the OVC, as Murray's replacement?

The conference has taken a shift westward, leaving WIU on an island of sorts.  An island somewhat closer to the OVC footprint,

Then you have the Indiana alphabet schools.  Fort Wayne plays baseball.  Could they be plucked by the Horizon?

You need 6 for baseball and If WIU or Ft. Wayne leaves, you only have 5.

Like I said, ... the Summit ... 

Quote

It could easily be hit directly, secondarily, or tertiarily, when the MVC acts. 

Summit:
Direct -- lose NDSU to MVC
Secondarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Summit
Tertiarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Horizon, Horizon grabs from Summit 

Do the eastern Summit schools really want to be in a more and more I-29 based conference? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like I said, ... the Summit ... 

Summit:
Direct -- lose NDSU to MVC
Secondarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Summit
Tertiarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Horizon, Horizon grabs from Summit 

Do the eastern Summit schools really want to be in a more and more I-29 based conference? 

With an I-29 based conference, maybe they can go back to calling it the Mid Continent Conference.  I never have cared for the name Summit League.  It sounds like a women's over 60 Tuesday night bowling league.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

With an I-29 based conference, maybe they can go back to calling it the Mid Continent Conference.  I never have cared for the name Summit League.  It sounds like a women's over 60 Tuesday night bowling league.

Just call it the.... NCC.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Just call it the.... NCC.

Or trade names with the MVC, since almost all their teams are east of the Mississippi and nowhere near the Missouri.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I can gather from Twitter, Murray State's board had a meeting this morning, one of the topics on the agenda was Conference discussion. MVC hasn't offered any invites yet, but it sounds like if the MVC were to offer an invite to Murray State, they'd accept.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJS said:

From what I can gather from Twitter, Murray State's board had a meeting this morning, one of the topics on the agenda was Conference discussion. MVC hasn't offered any invites yet, but it sounds like if the MVC were to offer an invite to Murray State, they'd accept.

 

 

So would Murray St join the MVFC as well?  Would be hard to think that the Ohio Valley would keep them as an affiliate member just for football.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Summit would be better off trading it's eastern flank for a western flank but I'm not sure how that all goes down. You can't even approach the topic of football until you have 8-10 schools committed. 

I don't know if the Montana schools would want to bolt even though they would be better off. The Big Sky has so much dead weight. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

The Summit would be better off trading it's eastern flank for a western flank but I'm not sure how that all goes down. You can't even approach the topic of football until you have 8-10 schools committed. 

I don't know if the Montana schools would want to bolt even though they would be better off. The Big Sky has so much dead weight. 

Years ago I had heard that certain conference administrative types had a vision to have a conference with the 4 Dakotas and the Montanas, with others included to get about a 10 team conference.  Hadn't heard other names mentioned, as the base was to be those 6 and build around them.  I think it was mainly based on how the landscape was expecting to change all over the place. Obviously you're skeptical when you hear things like that, but you never know what's going to happen......

Personally, I would love to have a conference with the 6 noted above as the anchors......

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0