SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Well hes named pretty much every school that isnt in a big conference and some that are----so hes gotta get at least one right wouldnt you think?

This troll and Southpaw are like Snowflakes on campus.  They don't like what you say and they want a safe place without others like me, so they want me banned instead of putting me on ignore.  The world owes them a safe place.  Pussified world and these posters are a reason for it.

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This troll and Southpaw are like Snowflakes on campus.  They don't like what you say and they want a safe place without others like me, so they want me banned instead of putting me on ignore.  The world owes them a safe place.  Pussified world and these posters are a reason for it.

Now thats some paranoid  extrapolation !!!!!! .   :lol:

• Upvote 1

The Summit, right now, because of Wichita's move and the fallout from it, even with UND lined up to come in, is less stable than it was 12 months ago. 

Why? It could easily be hit directly, secondarily, or tertiarily, when the MVC acts. 

16 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Why is the MVC more appealing to NDSU for you?

Honestly, the old school folks remember the MVC as the precursor to the Big 8.
Schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska were MVC founders in the 1920s.
Schools like Houston, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis State built it post-WWII. 

They hear MVC and remember those glory days and believe the MVC name still has panache in a Snapchat world. 

Hint: It's not your great-grandpappy's or even your grandpappy's MVC any more. 

• Upvote 1

if I were Douple, looking at the long term health of the conference, I would be exploring Summit football. 

If the rumors are true about Murray going to the MVC, is it possible that WIU would go to the OVC, as Murray's replacement?

The conference has taken a shift westward, leaving WIU on an island of sorts.  An island somewhat closer to the OVC footprint,

Then you have the Indiana alphabet schools.  Fort Wayne plays baseball.  Could they be plucked by the Horizon?

You need 6 for baseball and If WIU or Ft. Wayne leaves, you only have 5.

25 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

if I were Douple, looking at the long term health of the conference, I would be exploring Summit football. 

If the rumors are true about Murray going to the MVC, is it possible that WIU would go to the OVC, as Murray's replacement?

The conference has taken a shift westward, leaving WIU on an island of sorts.  An island somewhat closer to the OVC footprint,

Then you have the Indiana alphabet schools.  Fort Wayne plays baseball.  Could they be plucked by the Horizon?

You need 6 for baseball and If WIU or Ft. Wayne leaves, you only have 5.

Like I said, ... the Summit ... 

It could easily be hit directly, secondarily, or tertiarily, when the MVC acts. 

Summit:
Direct -- lose NDSU to MVC
Secondarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Summit
Tertiarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Horizon, Horizon grabs from Summit 

Do the eastern Summit schools really want to be in a more and more I-29 based conference? 

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like I said, ... the Summit ... 

Summit:
Direct -- lose NDSU to MVC
Secondarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Summit
Tertiarily -- OVC loses to MVC, OVC grabs from Horizon, Horizon grabs from Summit 

Do the eastern Summit schools really want to be in a more and more I-29 based conference? 

With an I-29 based conference, maybe they can go back to calling it the Mid Continent Conference.  I never have cared for the name Summit League.  It sounds like a women's over 60 Tuesday night bowling league.

• Upvote 1

From what I can gather from Twitter, Murray State's board had a meeting this morning, one of the topics on the agenda was Conference discussion. MVC hasn't offered any invites yet, but it sounds like if the MVC were to offer an invite to Murray State, they'd accept.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

From what I can gather from Twitter, Murray State's board had a meeting this morning, one of the topics on the agenda was Conference discussion. MVC hasn't offered any invites yet, but it sounds like if the MVC were to offer an invite to Murray State, they'd accept.

So would Murray St join the MVFC as well?  Would be hard to think that the Ohio Valley would keep them as an affiliate member just for football.

The Summit would be better off trading it's eastern flank for a western flank but I'm not sure how that all goes down. You can't even approach the topic of football until you have 8-10 schools committed. 

I don't know if the Montana schools would want to bolt even though they would be better off. The Big Sky has so much dead weight. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

The Summit would be better off trading it's eastern flank for a western flank but I'm not sure how that all goes down. You can't even approach the topic of football until you have 8-10 schools committed. 

I don't know if the Montana schools would want to bolt even though they would be better off. The Big Sky has so much dead weight. 

Years ago I had heard that certain conference administrative types had a vision to have a conference with the 4 Dakotas and the Montanas, with others included to get about a 10 team conference.  Hadn't heard other names mentioned, as the base was to be those 6 and build around them.  I think it was mainly based on how the landscape was expecting to change all over the place. Obviously you're skeptical when you hear things like that, but you never know what's going to happen......

Personally, I would love to have a conference with the 6 noted above as the anchors......

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Years ago I had heard that certain conference administrative types had a vision to have a conference with the 4 Dakotas and the Montanas, with others included to get about a 10 team conference.  Hadn't heard other names mentioned, as the base was to be those 6 and build around them.  I think it was mainly based on how the landscape was expecting to change all over the place. Obviously you're skeptical when you hear things like that, but you never know what's going to happen......

Personally, I would love to have a conference with the 6 noted above as the anchors......

I started a thread about that topic over on egriz...  http://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76379

41 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I started a thread about that topic over on egriz...  http://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76379

They're close over on eGriz. The correct answer is ... 

Idaho
Montana

Montana State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota

North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Omaha
Denver
That's 8 FB; 10 BB; easy scheduling. (7 conf FB games; 18 conf BB games w/travel partners)

If you want 9 FB you also add another BB only school for a 9 FB / 12 BB alignment (8 FB games / 22 conf BB games). To me the FB would be UNoCo or NMSU (or fledgling Wichita State FB if they start up) and the BB only would be UMKC or Oral Bob.   

The 9/12 alignment is better because of the balanced 8 FB games (4H / 4A). 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Idaho
Montana

Montana State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota

North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Omaha
Denver
That's 8 FB; 10 BB; easy scheduling. (7 conf FB games; 18 conf BB games w/travel partners)

If you want 9 FB you also add another BB only school for a 9 FB / 12 BB alignment (8 FB games / 22 conf BB games). To me the FB would be UNoCo or NMSU (or fledgling Wichita State FB if they start up) and the BB only would be UMKC or Oral Bob.   

I like this...but it makes too much sense!!!

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Idaho
Montana

Montana State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota

North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Omaha
Denver

if i was the pres of the mvc this above post if enough of a threat to where i would offer full membership to the Dak4 to the mvc...

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Summit, right now, because of Wichita's move and the fallout from it, even with UND lined up to come in, is less stable than it was 12 months ago. 

Why? It could easily be hit directly, secondarily, or tertiarily, when the MVC acts. 

Maybe with our dance trip (showing our program is legit) we could be a travel partner with NDSU and move to the MVC as well. SDSU won't move and give up home court in Sioux Falls every March, same with USD. Fly into Fargo, drive up to GF for a game, drive down to Fargo for game #2 of the week (or weekend) and fly home out of Fargo. Or take all 4 Dakota teams and watch the Summit League collapse. Its fun to play what if.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Idaho
Montana

Montana State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota

North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Omaha
Denver

Northern Iowa?

Some tweets that Valpo and UW-Milwaukee will be the 11th and 12th teams for the MVC.  If that's the case, NDSU is out and it would be apparent that the MVC doesn't value football for its future.

But the Slummit could still be a problem, as the Horizon would need to backfill with two more.  Please let it be the IP soup schools or WIU.

Could Green Bay be a future Summit school?  They had had mostly strong programs.