SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It may get to a point where their RPI is lower than the SL. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/18

Final RPI

WSU 31

Illinois St 33

NDSU 109

USD 122

UNO 139

North Dakota 144

SIU145

SDSU 155

UNI 161

IPFW 175

Loyola-Chicago 177

Evansville 183

Missouri St 209

Denver 212

IUPUI 218

Bradley 220

Indiana St 233

Oral Roberts 292

Drake 314

Western Illinois 325

MVC doesn't look impressive to me, especially when WSU leaves. 

I wouldn't worry about RPI, NDSU got waxed by Misery St this year i believe. I think the Summit kinda "fixes" the RPI, or at least they used to. 

Rather silent media out there, but still more mb rumblings of Valpo and Murray St.

Wouldn't surprise me if Valpo gets added this year, as it doesn't need to change its fb schedule.  Murray St would have more problems switching for fb, as the OVC schedule would be a mess, so they might get an extra year to move.  If the MVC goes to 11, that means it's quite likely that a 12th team gets in too. NDSU may then be a very slight favorite and scoot out of the Slummit before UND gets in.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Rather silent media out there, but still more mb rumblings of Valpo and Murray St.

Wouldn't surprise me if Valpo gets added this year, as it doesn't need to change its fb schedule.  Murray St would have more problems switching for fb, as the OVC schedule would be a mess, so they might get an extra year to move.  If the MVC goes to 11, that means it's quite likely that a 12th team gets in too. NDSU may then be a very slight favorite and scoot out of the Slummit before UND gets in.

Every time you reference the Summit League you refer to it as the "Slummit".  Doing so lessens your credibility, if you even have any.  UND will soon be a part of the "Slummit" so I don't know why you disparage the conference.  Also, confuses me why you refer to it as the "Slummit" when it has recently been a superior conference to the Big Sky and will be a jump up, and difficult transition for UND, just like the MVFC conference will be.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Every time you reference the Summit League you refer to it as the "Slummit".  Doing so lessens your credibility, if you even have any.  UND will soon be a part of the "Slummit" so I don't know why you disparage the conference.  Also, confuses me why you refer to it as the "Slummit" when it has recently been a superior conference to the Big Sky and will be a jump up, and difficult transition for UND, just like the MVFC conference will be.

Was there really much there to begin with?!!  Not a rip on SiouxVolley personally, but the majority of things he has predicted would happen have not even come close. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

When bison fans stop calling the Big Sky the Big Fluffy, the Slummit will become the Summit.  Seems to me and history, most everyone except SD schools want to get out of the Slummit, so that name seems to reflect the neighborhood better.  Face it, the Slummit is a low rent district.  SD fans deny that but it's true.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

When bison fans stop calling the Big Sky the Big Fluffy, the Slummit will become the Summit.  Seems to me and history, most everyone except SD schools want to get out of the Slummit, so that name seems to reflect the neighborhood better.  Face it, the Slummit is a low rent district.  SD fans deny that but it's true.

i.e. "They started it!!!!"

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Summit being a revolving door is more a product of it's location than anything. The Big Sky only remains stable because it's proximity to other Division I basketball conference footprints is remote. Teams and schools are always looking to better position themselves for success and ultimately put themselves in a more visible conference or a conference that "pays better". Stabilizing the Summit is exactly what is being done now.

Here's a link to a cool map that shows the Division I basketball conferences. http://collegesportsinfo.com/ncaa-map/

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

The Summit being a revolving door is more a product of it's location than anything. The Big Sky only remains stable because it's proximity to other Division I basketball conference footprints is remote. Teams and schools are always looking to better position themselves for success and ultimately put themselves in a more visible conference or a conference that "pays better". Stabilizing the Summit is exactly what is being done now.

Here's a link to a cool map that shows the Division I basketball conferences. http://collegesportsinfo.com/ncaa-map/

Quite the gap between eastern slope of the Rockies and the plains from eastern Dakotas to Eastern Texas. Only a few crossing from west to east (UTEP/CUSA, Denver/Summit) or east to west (UND/Big Sky). Still would have preferred UND stay in the Sky. :(

42 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Quite the gap between eastern slope of the Rockies and the plains from eastern Dakotas to Eastern Texas. Only a few crossing from west to east (UTEP/CUSA, Denver/Summit) or east to west (UND/Big Sky). Still would have preferred UND stay in the Sky. :(

Not saying there aren't valid reasons for a fan to want UND in the Big Sky, but what about being in the Big Sky is more appealing to you personally for UND?

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Not saying there aren't valid reasons for a fan to want UND in the Big Sky, but what about being in the Big Sky is more appealing to you personally for UND?

Honestly the only reason I really liked it was because I knew football would play at UNC every other year. I wasn't a fan of the move to the Summit at first but after some time I am now for it. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If this "NDSU to MVC" noise it real, does it give UND carte blanche to relook at conferences and affiliations? 

A scenario with NDSU jumping eliminates about 1/3 of the good reasons of the move to the Summit/MVFC. 

NdSU mbb just took a big step back by losing Khy Khabbelish (sp).  Their superiority complex was just hit with news that the MVC sees more value in Murray St than them, even for fb.  The bizons are going to have to dig deep to put up with all the rejection.

Can't believe both the OVC and MVC fb schedules will be adjusted this fall.

Like I said earlier, Valpo to MVC this fall.

Murray St and NDSU to MVC in 2018.

UND, Denver, Omaha, Montanas, Idaho, EWU, and UNC to WAC looks more and more possible with NMSU and UMKC.

The Big Sky and WAC far west teams realign together.

The SD schools would be jumping for joy with the new Slummit.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I live in Arizona. More Big Sky coverage here. When I was at UND (78 grad), the Big Sky was the conference I thought both UND and NDSU should join.

I disagree with the idea that UND will struggle in the Summit, this school year was fun to watch. 4 Big Sky banners in the 4 major team sports may not be repeated (ever), but it tells me that UND found its place in the Sky. 

And to top it all off, the Big Sky gave UND a home when the MVFC didn't. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, zonadub said:

What happens to the Summit's auto bid if NDSU leaves and takes its baseball team, leaving only 5 teams? Basketball + soccer + ???

There doesn't appear to be a baseball team available but maybe No Colo can be coaxed from the WAC for that sport.  If two soccer teams leave too we would be up a Creek.  Mens soccer could get MAC schools now, as Buffalo has dropped it and they have only five now.  Akron and WVU teams are powers, as is Denver.  Baseball needs to lose only one.

UND and USD could restart non scholarship teams on very low budgets.  But that creates T IX problems.

But the best long term solution is to have Summit fb by inviting the Montanas etc, and not worry about baseball and men's soccer numbers.  Fb conferences only have to sponsor mens bb and no other team sports.  Or else fold the hockey NCHC into the Summit and use that instead of baseball.

A conference  mix of fb and non fb teams is simply a bad recipe, as a conference doesn't have numbers to protect itself long term.

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

NdSU mbb just took a big step back by losing Khy Khabbelish (sp).  Their superiority complex was just hit with news that the MVC sees more value in Murray St than them, even for fb.  The bizons are going to have to dig deep to put up with all the rejection.

Can't believe both the OVC and MVC fb schedules will be adjusted this fall.

Like I said earlier, Valpo to MVC this fall.

Murray St and NDSU to MVC in 2018.

UND, Denver, Omaha, Montanas, Idaho, EWU, and UNC to WAC looks more and more possible with NMSU and UMKC.

The Big Sky and WAC far west teams realign together.

The SD schools would be jumping for joy with the new Slummit.

You continue to confuse fan attitudes with those that matter. 

Keep pushing your UND to WAC idea. It's all you have left. Certainly your credibility has disappeared. 

9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Keep pushing your UND to WAC idea. It's all you have left. Certainly your credibility has disappeared. 

Post them just for you because it's apparent your little bug brain can't comprehend them.  Maybe you will eventually.  Or you can put me on ignore, but you are too stubborn for that.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Well hes named pretty much every school that isnt in a big conference and some that are----so hes gotta get at least one right wouldnt you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1