Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

4,307 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

In a couple of years when the MVC is a solid one bid league, the Shocker basketball credits run out, and that bisects with the P5/FBS split I predict there will be some upheaval for the Valley and the Summit.  Honestly, the Summit is going to be in the driver seat when that happens because that is where the more powerful football programs in the MVFC reside.  It will be schools like UNI having to make a decision to move to that second level of football with us or hanging around the Tier 3 level with Indiana State and the Valley East programs.  Who knows, maybe some BSC schools like the Montanas become a player in this saga.

The Dakotas need to stick together.  There will be a time for us to make our move.  We are stronger together than we are apart.

This^^^^^^  So true.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

But I thought the Summit is the NCC 2.0. 

MVC == Summit 2.0 == NCC 3.0 ?

I was told there'd be no math. 

Check with your wife.  Maybe she can do the math for you.  :-)

ncc 1.0 + summit= ncc 2.0 + mvfc - mvc = ncc 3.0 > MAC

If the MVC could get Dayton and St Louis, it could get stronger.  But those two wannabe-Big East schools won't lower themselves to the MVC.  Besides, the A10 gives 75% of each dance victory credits to be the team that won it, which is unusual.  Thats a massive incentive to stay and improve the programs.  Dayton would lose a ton moving unless for the Big East.  Xavier doesn't want Dayton, and the eastern Big East schools want at least one more east coast school, like UCONN or Richmond or Davidson or even BU if it somehow got serious about bball.

See the Horizon actually getting stronger in bball, NKU was an upgrade over Loyola, the Slummit taking on and in fb, and the MVC becoming private orientated.  Detroit, Belmont, Denver, Valpo and ORU are probably the best the MVC can hope for.

32 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the MVC could get Dayton and St Louis, it could get stronger.  But those two wannabe-Big East schools won't lower themselves to the MVC.  Besides, the A10 gives 75% of each dance victory credits to be the team that won it, which is unusual.  Thats a massive incentive to stay and improve the programs.  Dayton would lose a ton moving unless for the Big East.  Xavier doesn't want Dayton, and the eastern Big East schools want at least one more east coast school, like UCONN or Richmond or Davidson or even BU if it somehow got serious about bball.

See the Horizon actually getting stronger in bball, NKU was an upgrade over Loyola, the Slummit taking on and in fb, and the MVC becoming private orientated.  Detroit, Belmont, Denver, Valpo and ORU are probably the best the MVC can hope for.

same thing with seattle and the wcc...how the heck isn't st louis in the big east bball conf?

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

same thing with seattle and the wcc...how the heck isn't st louis in the big east bball conf?

Gonzaga has apparently blackballed Seattle, who haven't done anything anyway.  Gonzaga looks at the city of Seattle as its territory.

St Louis rose and fell based on Majerus.  On TV markets alone, St Louis should have gotten in over Creighton, but Majerus's health had been an issue even at Utah.

20 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Gonzaga has apparently blackballed Seattle, who haven't done anything anyway.  Gonzaga looks at the city of Seattle as its territory.

St Louis rose and fell based on Majerus.  On TV markets alone, St Louis should have gotten in over Creighton, but Majerus's health had been an issue even at Utah.

i know that gonzaga is the big dog but i have a hard believing they would a: leave the wcc or b: the mwc would take them...you would think for the conf as a whole that adding seattle would be a huge step up in lots of ways.

and st louis must be pretty bad at selling themselves to other conferences bc they belong in the big east...

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know that gonzaga is the big dog but i have a hard believing they would a: leave the wcc or b: the mwc would take them...you would think for the conf as a whole that adding seattle would be a huge step up in lots of ways.

and st louis must be pretty bad at selling themselves to other conferences bc they belong in the big east...

There has been rumors that Gonzaga is talking with the MWC.  After Wichita St left for the AAC, the power conferences seem to be even more concentrated.  The WCC doesn't have much beyond the Zags and BYU, and move could assure the Zags a higher level permanently in a league that would seem to have better prospects of at least two bids.

Seems that the Big East isn't against St Louis, but can't agree on the 12th team.   If they can get UCONN to park it's fb somewhere else, there could be a deal.

19 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no...their rpi will not be high enough imo

It may get to a point where their RPI is lower than the SL. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/18

Final RPI

WSU 31

Illinois St 33

NDSU 109

USD 122

UNO 139

North Dakota 144

SIU145

SDSU 155

UNI 161

IPFW 175

Loyola-Chicago 177

Evansville 183

Missouri St 209

Denver 212

IUPUI 218

Bradley 220

Indiana St 233

Oral Roberts 292

Drake 314

Western Illinois 325

MVC doesn't look impressive to me, especially when WSU leaves. 

Wichita (31) leaves, what's that do for Illinois State (33)? 

And when did Drake fall through the floor? 

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It may get to a point where their RPI is lower than the SL. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/18

Final RPI

WSU 31

Illinois St 33

NDSU 109

USD 122

UNO 139

North Dakota 144

SIU145

SDSU 155

UNI 161

IPFW 175

Loyola-Chicago 177

Evansville 183

Missouri St 209

Denver 212

IUPUI 218

Bradley 220

Indiana St 233

Oral Roberts 292

Drake 314

Western Illinois 325

MVC doesn't look impressive to me, especially when WSU leaves. 

I wouldn't worry about RPI, NDSU got waxed by Misery St this year i believe. I think the Summit kinda "fixes" the RPI, or at least they used to. 

15 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I wouldn't worry about RPI, NDSU got waxed by Misery St this year i believe. I think the Summit kinda "fixes" the RPI, or at least they used to. 

Now I'm confused, now it's not important?

9 minutes ago, homer said:

Now I'm confused, now it's not important?

I don't pay much attention to it. Others probably do. 

Rather silent media out there, but still more mb rumblings of Valpo and Murray St.

Wouldn't surprise me if Valpo gets added this year, as it doesn't need to change its fb schedule.  Murray St would have more problems switching for fb, as the OVC schedule would be a mess, so they might get an extra year to move.  If the MVC goes to 11, that means it's quite likely that a 12th team gets in too. NDSU may then be a very slight favorite and scoot out of the Slummit before UND gets in.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Rather silent media out there, but still more mb rumblings of Valpo and Murray St.

Wouldn't surprise me if Valpo gets added this year, as it doesn't need to change its fb schedule.  Murray St would have more problems switching for fb, as the OVC schedule would be a mess, so they might get an extra year to move.  If the MVC goes to 11, that means it's quite likely that a 12th team gets in too. NDSU may then be a very slight favorite and scoot out of the Slummit before UND gets in.

Every time you reference the Summit League you refer to it as the "Slummit".  Doing so lessens your credibility, if you even have any.  UND will soon be a part of the "Slummit" so I don't know why you disparage the conference.  Also, confuses me why you refer to it as the "Slummit" when it has recently been a superior conference to the Big Sky and will be a jump up, and difficult transition for UND, just like the MVFC conference will be.

14 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Every time you reference the Summit League you refer to it as the "Slummit".  Doing so lessens your credibility, if you even have any.  UND will soon be a part of the "Slummit" so I don't know why you disparage the conference.  Also, confuses me why you refer to it as the "Slummit" when it has recently been a superior conference to the Big Sky and will be a jump up, and difficult transition for UND, just like the MVFC conference will be.

Was there really much there to begin with?!!  Not a rip on SiouxVolley personally, but the majority of things he has predicted would happen have not even come close. 

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Was there really much there to begin with?!!  Not a rip on SiouxVolley personally, but the majority of things he has predicted would happen have not even come close. 

Oh yeah.  I realize that.

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

When bison fans stop calling the Big Sky the Big Fluffy, the Slummit will become the Summit.  Seems to me and history, most everyone except SD schools want to get out of the Slummit, so that name seems to reflect the neighborhood better.  Face it, the Slummit is a low rent district.  SD fans deny that but it's true.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's undergoing gentrification.

When UND finally joins, will agree.

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

When bison fans stop calling the Big Sky the Big Fluffy, the Slummit will become the Summit.  Seems to me and history, most everyone except SD schools want to get out of the Slummit, so that name seems to reflect the neighborhood better.  Face it, the Slummit is a low rent district.  SD fans deny that but it's true.

i.e. "They started it!!!!"

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Summit being a revolving door is more a product of it's location than anything. The Big Sky only remains stable because it's proximity to other Division I basketball conference footprints is remote. Teams and schools are always looking to better position themselves for success and ultimately put themselves in a more visible conference or a conference that "pays better". Stabilizing the Summit is exactly what is being done now.

Here's a link to a cool map that shows the Division I basketball conferences. http://collegesportsinfo.com/ncaa-map/

Murray St's Regents have a special called meeting tomorrow.  The MVC might be calling.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

The Summit being a revolving door is more a product of it's location than anything. The Big Sky only remains stable because it's proximity to other Division I basketball conference footprints is remote. Teams and schools are always looking to better position themselves for success and ultimately put themselves in a more visible conference or a conference that "pays better". Stabilizing the Summit is exactly what is being done now.

Here's a link to a cool map that shows the Division I basketball conferences. http://collegesportsinfo.com/ncaa-map/

Quite the gap between eastern slope of the Rockies and the plains from eastern Dakotas to Eastern Texas. Only a few crossing from west to east (UTEP/CUSA, Denver/Summit) or east to west (UND/Big Sky). Still would have preferred UND stay in the Sky. :(