SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

You sure about that?

The other Dakota schools might hold a little resentment. 

I am sure NDSU would plan on playing The Dakota's so as to have the best of both world's.  But, if any of them told NDSU to pound sand, then unfortunately, we would all hear about it for the next 15 years.  :silly:

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

You sure about that?

The other Dakota schools might hold a little resentment. 

Your loss then. 

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am sure NDSU would plan on playing The Dakota's so as to have the best of both world's.  But, if any of them told NDSU to pound sand, then unfortunately, we would all hear about it for the next 15 years.  :silly:

Weird,  isn't that what und planned on doing while in the big sky? Play the local teams OOC?

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Your loss then. 

Weird,  isn't that what und planned on doing while in the big sky? Play the local teams OOC?

We did and it didn't happen as often as we would have liked.  Made things difficult.  I don't think that was Any of the Dakota schools loss other than UND. 

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No.  Where was it said that was the plan?   If it happened, it happened.

On this website,  read it many times I believe.  Not going to go back and look though.

Did the UND athletic department have that same idea in place, no idea.  You guys did some games with sdsu though along with annual games with ndsu?

I don't think NDSU is going anywhere,  I hope they get the chance to go though. 

As I see it....

1. UND is not part of the current MVC expansion conversation, nor should they be.

2. It would not be good for UND, if one or more of the other Dakota schools left the Summit, with UND just joining to cut travel expenses.

3. SDSU is the most attractive of the Dakota schools for potential membership, due to combination of geography, facilities and basketball history for both the men's and women's programs.

3 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

As I see it....

1. UND is not part of the current MVC expansion conversation, nor should they be.

2. It would not be good for UND, if one or more of the other Dakota schools left the Summit, with UND just joining to cut travel expenses.

3. SDSU is the most attractive of the Dakota schools for potential membership, due to combination of geography, facilities and basketball history for both the men's and women's programs.

go big or go home...the mvc is this close to being the summit 2.0...

what if...

the private schools of the mvc split off away from the public football schools (which they don't really really care for that much anyways) and add four more private schools

mvc=bradley, drake, evansville, loyola and then add belmont, valpo, denver, and oral roberts or detroit mercy

summit=und, ndac,usd, sdsu, niu, isu, isu, siu, wiu, msu all sports plus fb and then omaha and umkc all sports minus fb?

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what if...

the private schools of the mvc split off away from the public football schools (which they don't really really care for that much anyways) and add four more private schools

For now none of the schools are going anywhere, too much NCAA tournament money sitting on the table. It could happen down the road depending on what happens with the MVC. 

39 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

In a couple of years when the MVC is a solid one bid league, the Shocker basketball credits run out, and that bisects with the P5/FBS split I predict there will be some upheaval for the Valley and the Summit.  Honestly, the Summit is going to be in the driver seat when that happens because that is where the more powerful football programs in the MVFC reside.  It will be schools like UNI having to make a decision to move to that second level of football with us or hanging around the Tier 3 level with Indiana State and the Valley East programs.  Who knows, maybe some BSC schools like the Montanas become a player in this saga.

The Dakotas need to stick together.  There will be a time for us to make our move.  We are stronger together than we are apart.

This^^^^^^  So true.

• Upvote 1

If the MVC could get Dayton and St Louis, it could get stronger.  But those two wannabe-Big East schools won't lower themselves to the MVC.  Besides, the A10 gives 75% of each dance victory credits to be the team that won it, which is unusual.  Thats a massive incentive to stay and improve the programs.  Dayton would lose a ton moving unless for the Big East.  Xavier doesn't want Dayton, and the eastern Big East schools want at least one more east coast school, like UCONN or Richmond or Davidson or even BU if it somehow got serious about bball.

See the Horizon actually getting stronger in bball, NKU was an upgrade over Loyola, the Slummit taking on and in fb, and the MVC becoming private orientated.  Detroit, Belmont, Denver, Valpo and ORU are probably the best the MVC can hope for.

32 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the MVC could get Dayton and St Louis, it could get stronger.  But those two wannabe-Big East schools won't lower themselves to the MVC.  Besides, the A10 gives 75% of each dance victory credits to be the team that won it, which is unusual.  Thats a massive incentive to stay and improve the programs.  Dayton would lose a ton moving unless for the Big East.  Xavier doesn't want Dayton, and the eastern Big East schools want at least one more east coast school, like UCONN or Richmond or Davidson or even BU if it somehow got serious about bball.

See the Horizon actually getting stronger in bball, NKU was an upgrade over Loyola, the Slummit taking on and in fb, and the MVC becoming private orientated.  Detroit, Belmont, Denver, Valpo and ORU are probably the best the MVC can hope for.

same thing with seattle and the wcc...how the heck isn't st louis in the big east bball conf?

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

same thing with seattle and the wcc...how the heck isn't st louis in the big east bball conf?

Gonzaga has apparently blackballed Seattle, who haven't done anything anyway.  Gonzaga looks at the city of Seattle as its territory.

St Louis rose and fell based on Majerus.  On TV markets alone, St Louis should have gotten in over Creighton, but Majerus's health had been an issue even at Utah.

20 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Gonzaga has apparently blackballed Seattle, who haven't done anything anyway.  Gonzaga looks at the city of Seattle as its territory.

St Louis rose and fell based on Majerus.  On TV markets alone, St Louis should have gotten in over Creighton, but Majerus's health had been an issue even at Utah.

i know that gonzaga is the big dog but i have a hard believing they would a: leave the wcc or b: the mwc would take them...you would think for the conf as a whole that adding seattle would be a huge step up in lots of ways.

and st louis must be pretty bad at selling themselves to other conferences bc they belong in the big east...

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know that gonzaga is the big dog but i have a hard believing they would a: leave the wcc or b: the mwc would take them...you would think for the conf as a whole that adding seattle would be a huge step up in lots of ways.

and st louis must be pretty bad at selling themselves to other conferences bc they belong in the big east...

There has been rumors that Gonzaga is talking with the MWC.  After Wichita St left for the AAC, the power conferences seem to be even more concentrated.  The WCC doesn't have much beyond the Zags and BYU, and move could assure the Zags a higher level permanently in a league that would seem to have better prospects of at least two bids.

Seems that the Big East isn't against St Louis, but can't agree on the 12th team.   If they can get UCONN to park it's fb somewhere else, there could be a deal.

19 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no...their rpi will not be high enough imo

It may get to a point where their RPI is lower than the SL. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/groupId/18

Final RPI

WSU 31

Illinois St 33

NDSU 109

USD 122

UNO 139

North Dakota 144

SIU145

SDSU 155

UNI 161

IPFW 175

Loyola-Chicago 177

Evansville 183

Missouri St 209

Denver 212

IUPUI 218

Bradley 220

Indiana St 233

Oral Roberts 292

Drake 314

Western Illinois 325

MVC doesn't look impressive to me, especially when WSU leaves.