Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Sicatoka

Conference Realignments - Take 2

4,313 posts in this topic

Why would the private schools want to give more power to the public/football playing schools? 

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Why would the private schools want to give more power to the public/football playing schools? 

Mo St and Illinois St could leave if they are not satisfied.  To where is the question?  Mo St has had Sun Belt interest in the past.  There has been a rumor that a fb school will go if it's not satisfied. That's the last thing the MVC needs now, so the privates will try to keep peace by getting three teams.

The Big East had the same quandary over private / public and fb / bb members and it finally caused a split.

There's definitely tension in the MVC over the same issue.  If St Louis or Belmont would agree, they all could be satisfied.  But strong replacements don't seem to be in the offing.

But the Nashville Tennessean now again reports that Belmont is happy where they arE.

Valpo and Murray St seem like the most viable candidates, but a 12th team is possible, and NDSU could well knab that spot.

The Big East once took Miami, which didn't even have a basketball program at the time.  The MVC might look on NDSU as its own Miami.  After all, Miami has had trouble with the law and NCAA!

1 hour ago, homer said:

Personally im not sure NDSU is ready to pay their basketball coach more than their football coach.  I think the MVFC schools know that   

I don't think the money is there to do so.  It's just my opinion.  There is some cuts coming in May to the athletic dept.  Just cause the Forum refuses to ask the questions doesn't mean the money tree is growing on campus.   I also think basketball attendance will fall in the MVC unless they invest like the top half of the schools in the MVC.  

I think any of the Dakota schools would be a great addition to the MVC.  If they invested their resources appropriately they would be very competitive. 

Looking at what is going on with the SD schools, the day is coming soon where the basketball coach will be making in the same ballpark as the football coach no matter what league NDSU is in. Unless the football program goes FBS, which I don't see happening anytime soon. 

Here is another one:  What if all 3 (Valpo, Belmont, and Murray State) say no?  then what?

36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Here is another one:  What if all 3 (Valpo, Belmont, and Murray State) say no?  then what?

hello dakotas!!?

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The MVC doesn't have to go to 10 or 12.  They can stay at 9, but that creates some unevenness is scheduling.

There are other private schools well down on their list like ORU, Denver or Lipscomb or non-fb like UMKC, Omaha, Milwaukee, Green Bay etc.  But one fb school seems likely if they take 3.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hello dakotas!!?

The privates would rebel.  Don't see that happening.  Only one Dakota at most.

7 hours ago, homer said:

Personally im not sure NDSU is ready to pay their basketball coach more than their football coach.  I think the MVFC schools know that   

I don't think the money is there to do so.  It's just my opinion.  There is some cuts coming in May to the athletic dept.  Just cause the Forum refuses to ask the questions doesn't mean the money tree is growing on campus.   I also think basketball attendance will fall in the MVC unless they invest like the top half of the schools in the MVC.  

I think any of the Dakota schools would be a great addition to the MVC.  If they invested their resources appropriately they would be very competitive. 

Will cuts happen at NDSU or will a big donation appear to save the day?

As enticing as the MVC is for NDSU, they would be foolish to switch conferences.   UND left the Big Sky not only because of the current cuts, but because the long term costs of playing in the conference year in and year out were just too great.  Same can be said about NDSU.  Moving to the MVC would increase travel costs, force NDSU to increase the salaries of their non football sports coaches to complete with other MVC schools, and they would lose money at the gate without having traditional rivalries with UND, SDSU, and USD.  If money was no option, a move to the MVS is a no brainer if they were invited.  But unfortunately money rules all in college athletics and NDSU can't afford the move.  Plain and simple.  

I'm sure NDSU would still play und, usd, and sdsu.

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I'm sure NDSU would still play und, usd, and sdsu.

You sure about that?

The other Dakota schools might hold a little resentment. 

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

You sure about that?

I am sure NDSU would plan on playing The Dakota's so as to have the best of both world's.  But, if any of them told NDSU to pound sand, then unfortunately, we would all hear about it for the next 15 years.  :silly:

14 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

You sure about that?

Your loss then. 

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am sure NDSU would plan on playing The Dakota's so as to have the best of both world's.  But, if any of them told NDSU to pound sand, then unfortunately, we would all hear about it for the next 15 years.  :silly:

Weird,  isn't that what und planned on doing while in the big sky? Play the local teams OOC?

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Your loss then. 

Weird,  isn't that what und planned on doing while in the big sky? Play the local teams OOC?

We did and it didn't happen as often as we would have liked.  Made things difficult.  I don't think that was Any of the Dakota schools loss other than UND. 

7 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Your loss then. 

No.  Where was it said that was the plan?   If it happened, it happened.

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No.  Where was it said that was the plan?   If it happened, it happened.

On this website,  read it many times I believe.  Not going to go back and look though.

Did the UND athletic department have that same idea in place, no idea.  You guys did some games with sdsu though along with annual games with ndsu?

I don't think NDSU is going anywhere,  I hope they get the chance to go though. 

As I see it....

1. UND is not part of the current MVC expansion conversation, nor should they be.

2. It would not be good for UND, if one or more of the other Dakota schools left the Summit, with UND just joining to cut travel expenses.

3. SDSU is the most attractive of the Dakota schools for potential membership, due to combination of geography, facilities and basketball history for both the men's and women's programs.

3 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

As I see it....

1. UND is not part of the current MVC expansion conversation, nor should they be.

2. It would not be good for UND, if one or more of the other Dakota schools left the Summit, with UND just joining to cut travel expenses.

3. SDSU is the most attractive of the Dakota schools for potential membership, due to combination of geography, facilities and basketball history for both the men's and women's programs.

go big or go home...the mvc is this close to being the summit 2.0...

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

go big or go home...the mvc is this close to being the summit 2.0...

But I thought the Summit is the NCC 2.0. 

MVC == Summit 2.0 == NCC 3.0 ?

I was told there'd be no math. 

The MVC used to be the Big 8.  Then it became the Metro.  Then CUSA.  Etc etc  Now it's only DII moveups 20 years removed from us.

Schools like UNI, Mo St, Ill St, and Ind St haven't been DI's for all that long.

Is the MVC without Creighton and Wichita really a better conference? Will they still get the occasional more than 1 bid to The Dance?

what if...

the private schools of the mvc split off away from the public football schools (which they don't really really care for that much anyways) and add four more private schools

mvc=bradley, drake, evansville, loyola and then add belmont, valpo, denver, and oral roberts or detroit mercy

summit=und, ndac,usd, sdsu, niu, isu, isu, siu, wiu, msu all sports plus fb and then omaha and umkc all sports minus fb?

The MVC is ripe for a major upheaval, especially if the privates get their way. We could very well see some drastic changes in the next 2-3 years. Would be great to see the MVFC schools form an all sports conference and let the rest of the MVC/Summit fend for themselves.

9 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Is the MVFC without Creighton and Wichita really a better conference? Will they still get the occasional more than 1 bid to The Dance?

no...their rpi will not be high enough imo

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what if...

the private schools of the mvc split off away from the public football schools (which they don't really really care for that much anyways) and add four more private schools

For now none of the schools are going anywhere, too much NCAA tournament money sitting on the table. It could happen down the road depending on what happens with the MVC.