SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I thought Bison fans were unhappy with opponents they don't know, and the days the games were being played (remember the article prior to UND announcing to joining the SL), how is joining the MVC going to solve conference, and opponent likeness problems. Its basically a one bid league with the Shockers leaving the MVC. I don't see the Bison moving. 

UND, USD, SDSU, Omaha, Denver. Compared to UNI, and um um who else is in the conference?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I thought Bison fans were unhappy with opponents they don't know, and the days the games were being played (remember the article prior to UND announcing to joining the SL), how is joining the MVC going to solve conference, and opponent likeness problems. Its basically a one bid league with the Shockers leaving the MVC. I don't see the Bison moving. 

UND, USD, SDSU, Omaha, Denver. Compared to UNI, and um um who else is in the conference?

The MVC has some very quality teams even after Wichita leaves.  Illinois St, SIU, UNI and Missouri St are quality.  Anytime you can have commonality with conference teams it's a good thing.  

I still don't see NDSU getting the invite alone so if they go, who goes with them?  

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

umkc's wiki page says that one reason they left the summit was their (summit league) insistence upon referring to them as "kansas city"...is this true and if so why did'nt fargo university leave too?

No it isn't true. Even the KC newspaper, in their recent story about UMKC prostituting themselves to the MVC stated the move was a "competitive" move. UMKC left because they couldn't compete. They felt that the new WAC, basically the Great West with NMSU would provide them an opportunity to get to the NCAA tournament. They were also promised that the WAC would look at moving their post season tournament to the KC area. Neither happened and now they are whining because they are paying a fortune in travel costs.

5 hours ago, homer said:

The MVC has some very quality teams even after Wichita leaves.  Illinois St, SIU, UNI and Missouri St are quality.  Anytime you can have commonality with conference teams it's a good thing.  

I still don't see NDSU getting the invite alone so if they go, who goes with them?  

Those schools you mentioned are the very ones NDSU now considers their peers.  UND and SDSU have always been looked down at by their fans, even though SDSU was a "partner".  NDSU believes they can go it alone, but with UNI, Ill St, Mo St and SIU's full support.  

NDSU wants a conference tournament that actually draws their fans.  A Tuesday in Sioux Falls doesn't create any excitement, but a weekend in St Louis creates a late winter option to a Minneapolis Final Four.

23 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Those schools you mentioned are the very ones NDSU now considers their peers.  UND and SDSU have always been looked down at by their fans, even though SDSU was a "partner".  NDSU believes they can go it alone, but with UNI, Ill St, Mo St and SIU's full support.  

NDSU wants a conference tournament that actually draws their fans.  A Tuesday in Sioux Falls doesn't create any excitement, but a weekend in St Louis creates a late winter option to a Minneapolis Final Four.

The fans of the other Dakota schools should change the way they look at things than.  There is no reason those schools can't be viewed as piers of UND.  All I did was select the top schools in the MVC.  

22 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

They are their peers only in football. I haven't seen the Bison play any of these teams in basketball. It's like how hockey would get us games with schools in other sports only that's not the case. We haven't played Denver or Western Michigan, or Miami (OH), in anything but hockey. We have played UNI in basketball more than NDSU, and we played them once in football (2006). 

2 hours ago, homer said:

The fans of the other Dakota schools should change the way they look at things than.  There is no reason those schools can't be viewed as piers of UND.  All I did was select the top schools in the MVC.  

Presidents look at the MVC schools listed as non-research and non-prestigious.  NDSU looks at their basketball pedigree and wets their pants.  The Montanas and Idaho have much more prestige IMHO, but I am not steeped in the bizons deep seated inferiority complex.  They just want to get accepted and go to the more expensive country club as that would make them so much better in their eyes than the other Dakotas.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I do think it's pretty safe to think that for the next 100 years that UND and the NDAC will be attached at the hip when it comes to conference affiliation (mutually agreeable or govenor mandated)...where one goes the other goes...like it or not.

And that goes for hockey too?  NDSU will not make any public move for the MVC immediately.  The legislative session must end by May 2nd.  No one from the NDSBOHE has ever made a motion to tie the two together in DI.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

And that goes for hockey too?  NDSU will not make any public move for the MVC immediately.  The legislative session must end by May 2nd.  No one from the NDSBOHE has ever made a motion to tie the two together in DI.

Hockey? that goes without saying.  Just saying that it is a different time in NoDak and keeping costs down are going to be a much bigger thing going forward.  There are not a lot of conferences that want to send a soccer team to either fargo or grand forks for one match as opposed to doing a 2 for 1 if und and ndac were in the same conference. I actually think that a summit/mvc/mvfc merger might be an easier/better way for some midwest teams to go FBS...und, ndac, sdsu, usd, missouri state, niu, youngstown, illi state...

19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Hockey? that goes without saying.  Just saying that it is a different time in NoDak and keeping costs down are going to be a much bigger thing going forward.  There are not a lot of conferences that want to send a soccer team to either fargo or grand forks for one match as opposed to doing a 2 for 1 if und and ndac were in the same conference. I actually think that a summit/mvc/mvfc merger might be an easier/better way for some midwest teams to go FBS...und, ndac, sdsu, usd, missouri state, niu, youngstown, illi state...

The FBS angle you mentioned is a valid concern.  Being in the MVC would give NDSU added assurance that they'd be part of the inner circle.  The MVFC affiliates would be beggars in comparison.  But I'd rather we take a chance on Montanas, Idaho, NMSU etc as the Illinois/UNI gang won't accept us.

The BSA remodel makes NDSU barely acceptable, but Valpo's setup is not exactly stellar.  Murray St has a pretty good setup with 8500 seats and is the main school in the Jackson Purchase area of Kentucky, so it has its own little fiefdom of counties that are allegiant to it.

Edited by SiouxVolley

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The FBS angle you mentioned is a valid concern.  Being in the MVC would give NDSU added assurance that they'd be part of the inner circle.  The MVFC affiliates would be beggars in comparison.  But I'd rather we take a chance on Montanas, Idaho, NMSU etc as the Illinois/UNI gang won't accept us.

i think that ship has sailed...unfortunately!?

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Presidents look at the MVC schools listed as non-research and non-prestigious.  NDSU looks at their basketball pedigree and wets their pants.  The Montanas and Idaho have much more prestige IMHO, but I am not steeped in the bizons deep seated inferiority complex.  They just want to get accepted and go to the more expensive country club as that would make them so much better in their eyes than the other Dakotas.

I wasnt aware that NDSU had applied for membership?  As a matter of fact the only talk Ive heard is nothing more than speculation of what ifs on both boards.

8 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I wasnt aware that NDSU had applied for membership?  As a matter of fact the only talk Ive heard is nothing more than speculation of what ifs on both boards.

Nashville's News Channel 5 listed NDSU, Murray St, Belmont, N Kentucky, Valpo, and Omaha as finalists.  Those schools were probably invited to send applications.

Kolpack tweeted this about NDSU  AD Larsen about going to the MVC:  "I haven't had conversations with anybody about anything".

That leaves him open to texts and emails.  Why didn't he say he's had no communication with anyone regarding the MVC?  Bresciani is the one that does the selling and upfront negotiations anyway.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kolpack tweeted this about NDSU  AD Larsen about going to the MVC:  "I haven't had conversations with anybody about anything".

That leaves him open to texts and emails.  Why didn't he say he's had no communication with anyone regarding the MVC?  Bresciani is the one that does the selling and upfront negotiations anyway.

You are the only person that would take a quote like that and use it as evidence for the contrary.  Unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You are the only person that would take a quote like that and use it as evidence for the contrary.  Unbelievable.

Most people are simply gullible.  Larsen didn't deny communication with the MVC on expansion.  And if he did, he could be another Susan Rice, who never said anything that was believable.

Not using his weak denial as evidence, but saying it is weak.

The Nashville TV report is all I've got that NDSU is a serious MVC candidate.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

You mean he communicated the only two ways the media could find out through open record requests? Doubtful. 

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You mean he communicated the only two ways the media could find out through open record requests? Doubtful. 

Texts can be deleted and are not subject to open records after they have been deleted..  I know as NDSU had no texts from Bresciani on a certain subject.

It's simple to evade FOIA inquiries too, if a private phone or email is used, as Hillary tought us.

Say the Valpo/Belmont/Murray St move to MVC happens

Then the Horizon snags a Indiana summit school

What would the Summit do then? Do they ask an old member to come back in UMKC... or do they give the Montana schools their wanting gift of removing UNC, providing they get FB figured out.

8 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

UMKC maybe, seems like the WAC is getting too expensive for them. 

That would be my thought.  UNC would be a close 2nd but I believe they had some off the court stuff as well this year.  They have a good young men's teams and a solid women's program. 

Plus they have baseball

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I mean outside of those two, where else can the Summit go if they go down to  9?

Outside of those, my best guess would be Grand Canyon from the WAC or one of the Minnesota DII schools to move up.  Also, maybe an Augustana but I couldn't see the SD schools lobbying for that too hard.