SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

47 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Unstable Summit or MVC?  First of all, the Summit is actually quite stable for Basketball and the MVC for football is also stable.  Am I missing something?  The reason that UND left the Big Sky was travel.  This is going to make the Summit and MVC more stable with teams closer.  Wichita is a one trick pony and losing them in the MVC basketball is going to hurt that conf. but that isn't UND's problem.  The move for Wichita is head scratching because they are moving from a conference that is a great bb conf. to one I don't think I have heard of. 

The summit has been a revolving door for 30 years.   Look on Wikipedia, it gives a summary of the 30 or so schools who have been members. Everyone leaves it at the first opportunity. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

The summit has been a revolving door for 30 years.   Look on Wikipedia, it gives a summary of the 30 or so schools who have been members. Everyone leaves it at the first opportunity. 

This is the point I have been making on this forum for about 10 years now. This is the main reason I didn't want to join the Summit League.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

You need to spend more time following college athletics if you've never heard of the AAC. No, it doesn't have the name recognition of the B10 or any other major conference but the teams in the AAC are much higher profile than the alphabet soup that is the MVC:

Cincinnati, UConn, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa and Central Florida

or

Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Indiana State, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, and Southern Illinois.

Is this the old Conference USA? Cause that is a revolving door too, so may be a bigger name schools, but I see teams that have all been in other leagues in the past 4-5 year.  Get used to it, there is movement in college sports and will be until the P5 split off and do their own thing.  As far as following college sports, doe kay. 

30 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Is this the old Conference USA? Cause that is a revolving door too, so may be a bigger name schools, but I see teams that have all been in other leagues in the past 4-5 year.  Get used to it, there is movement in college sports and will be until the P5 split off and do their own thing.  As far as following college sports, doe kay. 

It effectively is.  The American is effectively CUSA 1.0, with UCONN, Navy and  Wichita St added, while the current CUSA is CUSA 3.0 with a few stragglers from CUSA 1.0 like  S Miss.

29 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

You said you had never heard of a conference that has had placed many more teams in the men's bb tournament than the MVC.  It's not like this is a one year old conference, they've been around for a few years and even had a team win the MBB title in it's first year of existence as a conference. 

Seven of the teams in the AAC were part of the split with three more coming on in the next year. They're all still there. Sure, some will leave and are looking to be in the P5 conferences but at this point they're the top of the G5. 

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

your kidding right?

nope, not one bit, but lets just go down this road a little.  Big 12, who moves A&M, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri.  Where they go, SEC, Pac 10 and Big 10.  So there are 4 conferences that had movement.  Big East, Which one do you want? ACC minus SC and Maryland, Stable? Conference USA, again, which one? Do you get the picture, there are going to be changes.  I could go on and on, Summit, MVC, Big Sky, they have all had changes and will continue.  The days of having a conference be the same teams for 20-30 yrs I fear are gone.  UND is doing what it choses is the best for UND and there are a lot of North Dakotans who have been clamoring for UND and NDSU to be playing against each other in more than one or 2 sports.  Well, I for one applaud UND for making these moves.

now having the big dog in the summit (und) does umkc come back home to the i29 league...especially when chicago state is taken off life support...you would think that the summit especially with und in looks a helluva lot nicer than the wac...

would be fun if they announced und, ndac, usd, sdsu, and omaha...14 teams split east / west...

or also add umkc and valpo and go 16 split 8/8 everyone gets a good travel partner

west

und / ndac

usd / sdac

omaha / umkc

nothern iowa / drake

east

missouria state / siu

evansville / indiana state

bradley / illinois state

valpo/ loyola

(yeah...denver and seattle go to the wcc!)

A Nashville TV reporter has tweeted the MVC is set on the Belmont, but Belmont's response has been "we're proud of being in the OVC".

Mo St'S President tweeted that he and his AD are heading home from STL and "exciting days are ahead for the MVC".   That must mean Valpo and Murray St must be close to coming aboard.

I still maintain that if Belmont is not added, NDSU has a good chance to be the 12th member.  Bresciani won't authorize any talking about it until after the legislative session is over.

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A Nashville TV reporter has tweeted the MVC is set on the Belmont, but Belmont's response has been "we're proud of being in the OVC".

Mo St'S President tweeted that he and his AD are heading home from STL and "exciting days are ahead for the MVC".   That must mean Valpo and Murray St must be close to coming aboard.

I still maintain that if Belmont is not added, NDSU has a good chance to be the 12th member.  Bresciani won't authorize any talking about it until after the legislative session is over.

no way ndac gets in alone..either they take two (und, usd, or sdsu with them) as a travel partner or all four dakota schools...no way those ad's and pres's go that far outside of their region for one solitary school...zero chance imo

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no way ndac gets in alone..either they take two (und, usd, or sdsu) as a travel partner or all four dakota schools...no way those ad's and pres's go that far outside of their region for one solitary school...zero chance imo

The SD schools are tied together, and the MVC doesn't want two in SD or ND.  It would have to take three to get one SD team in, and that isn't remotely possible.  Besides, the Sioux Falls tournament is loved by SD politicians and they would be livid if one of the SD's left.  That leaves NDSU, which would explain why it wanted a replacement for itself.  The possibility of  NDSU could open up a Fox Sports North contract with the MVC, as then UNI, Drake and NDSU are peripheral schools.  Think UNI could be pushing NDSU more than any other school including Omaha.  Bresciani is out to screw UND no matter what.  After all, it's what NDSU takes pride in. NDSU and Mo St could be travel partners, as they aren't bussable for many teams anyway.

If Belmont or N Kentucky come aboard, NDSU will be out.  NKU is effectively a Cincinnati school with a nice new arena and a possible Big metro tie in bigger than Nashville, so it might do.  

Murray St doesn't buy them a new metro (maybe a part of Louisville), Valpo buys a little part of Indy and a tiny sliver of Chicago, so the MVC wants either a part of Nashville, a part of Cincinnati, or a sliver of MSP with all of the Dakotas as Midcontinent would telecast NDSU.

1 hour ago, homer said:

NDSU by themselves is a long shot. Missouri St and Fargo as travel partners? A little shorter than Grand Forks/Greeley except no direct flights and a 200 mile drive to the nearest major airport.   

budget friendly trip? 

NDSU has positioned itself financially in decent shape,  as witnessed by the Kolpack story that ran which had millions more unallocated funds by UND but he played it off with a graphic that NDSU was so much better off.  Pravda couldn't have run a more slanted story.  If Belmont gets added or even Omaha or NKU, their will be flights.  The MVC doesn't necessarily have travel partners for mbb, but they do for the other sports.  Wichita St was an outlier too.

I'm of the opinion that the MVC will dissipate in strength no matter what, as no school will take the place of Wichita St, just like no school has stepped up as a replacement for Creighton, or Tulsa before that, or Memphis before that, or St Louis before that, etc.  NDSU wants to separate itself from  the rest of the Dakotas and then want to make a jump as Taylor and Bresciani have played up the MVC connections ever since they got in the MVFC.  SDSU fans will find out that they are not real partners in NDSU's eyes, just a junior partner that can be conveniently disposed of.   NDSU wants to have UNI as their rival, not SDSU.  What an expanded MVC with enough fb schools does is a bigger question.  The FBS capable schools like ISU RED, Mo St and maybe even UNI are getting anxious.

45 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Basically, would be the Big Sky with a much, much harder chance to make the NCAA Tourney.  Spend all new revenues on travel.

Would think the Slummit is much harder because even if we were the favorite, Sioux Falls is a very big hurdle with SDSU and USD crowds.  Letting WIH go is a much bigger savings than Big Sky travel.

Will be interesting how UCSD proceeds down the D1 path.  The WAC could take it, giving them three Southern California schools. UCSD has to humble themselves academically and accept a WAC invite though, which might not happen.  Sac St than might have an out of the Sky too, as it would be lesser travel.  The Big Sky and WAC really need to realign among themselves.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Will be interesting how UCSD proceeds down the D1 path.  The WAC could take it, giving them three Southern California schools. UCSD has to humble themselves academically and accept a WAC invite though, which might not happen.  Sac St than might have an out of the Sky too, as it would be lesser travel.  The Big Sky and WAC really need to realign among themselves.

btw why the heck isn't seattle back in the wcc...large market, nice arena, and former member?

1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

I doubt Gonzaga wants them back in WCC...That is their stomping grounds. 

i know they are the big dog but really one school can keep out a large metro school like that...plus they used to be in that conf before...but yeah they are the zags!!!

27 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know they are the big dog but really one school can keep out a large metro school like that...plus they used to be in that conf before...but yeah they are the zags!!!

They can if they threaten to leave.  The MWC would probably take the Zags, and the WCC will then waste away as the Zags are the WCC's cash cow.  This is what will likely happen to the MVC, as the Shockers were it's cash cow.

On the UNI board, one poster claims that only 1 school will be selected out of 3 or 5 finalists.  If that is true, NDSU's chances go way down.  A smart thing for the MVC to do is to only give new schools payments for six credits, until they have been in the league for six years.  After that, they share equally as every one else.

I would think that SDSU would be a more attractive choice than NDSU.  They have a better overall basketball history and have a good women's basketball program to boot.  Also better geographically.  I know that they have the Summit tournament in their backyard and that would play into any decisions, but I can't imagine that if the MVC asked, SDSU would say no.