SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

On 1/19/2017 at 9:05 AM, UND-1 said:

The rub is that as soon as UND goes to the Summit (and hopefully the MVFC) most everything he has stated will have been false.  If/when it is announced I will then be batting 1.000 and he will drop to about 0.002 when looking back at all his "patches" and "needlework".  He did get that one hit on opening day, though.  

That was easy.  1 for 1.  1.000.  

On to retirement.  :D

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Ok what now, SiouxVolley?  If it becomes official today after the vote, what happens?

The plan to FBS would still be in the works. It will just involve a few different schools then he originally thought. His premise is still viable, of course it always will be until it's not lol

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

The plan to FBS would still be in the works. It will just involve a few different schools then he originally thought. His premise is still viable, of course it always will be until it's not lol

Im just asking again because I never got an answer 8 days ago.  My understanding was that his theory was based on UND not going Summit/MVFC.  That it would NEVER happen.

I'm honestly just wondering if this changes his thought process but I havent heard anything yet.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Once the mvfc stabs us in the back today ...

Call me cynical, paranoid, whatever, but that really wouldn't surprise me. 

The MVFC wasn't big on adding USD after they had NDSU and SDSU on board. Too many trips "west" was the excuse. 

So what's changed to make Youngstown State (Ohio), Indiana State, Illinois State, and Southern (no Dale Lennon) Illinois want to make another western journey? Have we hosted Missouri State or Northern Iowa (in the last 20 years) for that matter? 

The only way this makes sense in my mind to those "eastern" MVFC members is if they know they are going to bleed out a couple current members in the coming days. As I've said, the most likely for that would be Youngstown (go east to say CAA) or Missouri State (south to a Texas league). 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The MVFC wasn't big on adding USD after they had NDSU and SDSU on board. Too many trips "west" was the excuse. 

So what's changed to make Youngstown State (Ohio), Indiana State, Illinois State, and Southern (no Dale Lennon) Illinois want to make another western journey? Have we hosted Missouri State or Northern Iowa (in the last 20 years) for that matter? 

The only way this makes sense in my mind to those "eastern" MVFC members is if they know they are going to bleed out a couple current members in the coming days. As I've said, the most likely for that would be Youngstown (go east to say CAA) or Missouri State (south to a Texas league). 

We will host misery state this fall.

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's a much more western conference now especially with the success of the Dakota schools in all sports.  Youngstown and UND are the same distance from Missouri State and about just as difficult to get to by flight.  UNI has another bus trip.  

Those eastern teams have less of a voice now that there are so many western teams.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Those eastern teams have less of a voice now that there are so many western teams.

And you just said the magic phrase.

The eastern schools have lost the power and influence in what was their conference. Are they happy with that? Will they be hanging around? 

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Once the mvfc stabs us in the back today it will give UND the motivation and backing necessary to complete Faison's master plan of securing alumni donations for the FBS WACK.  Duh.

But I think UTRGVXYZLMNOP will have to add Female Midget Tossing as a sport for the quilt to be complete.  After that, we're golden.    

23 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Ok what now, SiouxVolley?  If it becomes official today after the vote, what happens?

He's spending his time over on the CSNBBS site giving his theories. Since there was no leak on the MVFC vote yesterday, he's convinced that it is a ruse by Kennedy to prove that the MVFC isn't going to let UND in even though he says that one doesn't pre-announce unless they know the end result. Seems strange that the story would run using FOIA sources that point to UND in the Summit/MVFC if that wasn't what was going to happen but I digress. I guess we'll find out at the press conference today...Who's going to come out from Door #1....Jeff Hurd or Tom Douple and Patty Vivetiro??

On 1/25/2017 at 10:55 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Once the mvfc stabs us in the back today it will give UND the motivation and backing necessary to complete Faison's master plan of securing alumni donations for the FBS WACK.  Duh.

Ugh I really thought we had it this time ;)

so when the BSC expanded a few years ago they tried to get USD but didn't and got UND and SUU...the end result was they only got SUU?  I still wonder what Idaho is doing behind closed doors because the BSC does have some dogs in the their conference (but most do but when your subing in SUU for hawaii or NMSU)...

• 1 month later...

There are rumors of Wichita St, Dayton, and VCU going to the American to strengthen their basketball.  Wichita St is a no brainer - they want to start FBS too - but Dayton and VCU are new to the rumors.  The A10 gives much of their NCAA dance money to the schools that actually earned them, as the A10 doesn't divide it evenly.  Dayton having a big run a couple years ago would lose some major money to move soon.

UCONN is still rumored to be moving to the Big East, which has a major bball contract with Fox, and then UCONN would need to find a home for FB or go Independent in that sport.  The Big East could conceivably add just one, but St Louis (really weak right now in BB) and Dayton (Xavier has a major geographic problem with them) have been mentioned in the past.

The A10 might stay without backfilling, as it has a number of schools, but the MVC would certainly backfill.

AAC looking to upgrade hoops teams

If Wichita St leaves the MVC, MVC Presidents would get nervous about a DI basketball split.  WSU is almost always a high profile team and no no else fills the bill.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:03 PM, SiouxVolley said:

There are rumors of Wichita St, Dayton, and VCU going to the American to strengthen their basketball.  Wichita St is a no brainer - they want to start FBS too - but Dayton and VCU are new to the rumors.  The A10 gives much of their NCAA dance money to the schools that actually earned them, as the A10 doesn't divide it evenly.  Dayton having a big run a couple years ago would lose some major money to move soon.

UCONN is still rumored to be moving to the Big East, which has a major bball contract with Fox, and then UCONN would need to find a home for FB or go Independent in that sport.  The Big East could conceivably add just one, but St Louis (really weak right now in BB) and Dayton (Xavier has a major geographic problem with them) have been mentioned in the past.

The A10 might stay without backfilling, as it has a number of schools, but the MVC would certainly backfill.

AAC looking to upgrade hoops teams

If Wichita St leaves the MVC, MVC Presidents would get nervous about a DI basketball split.  WSU is almost always a high profile team and no no else fills the bill.

I'm excited for none of this to come true.  But I'm just a "resident troll" so what do I know.

5 hours ago, zonadub said:

So this is a stupid question, but I gotta ask...

does UND joining the Summit/MVFC make NDSU more or less likely to seek FBS status?

Not happening in near future without a huge donation. There are the financial challenges to start, and how do you maintain a FBS program that looses $M's every year?  Plus they have to be invited?

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Not happening in near future without a huge donation. There are the financial challenges to start, and how do you maintain a FBS program that looses $M's every year?  Plus they have to be invited?

They made fun of travel for us being in the Big Sky can you imagine the travel in the Sun Belt? Fargo to Jonesboro, AR is 986 miles. Not an ideal travel partner.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

I'll answer from an outside perspective.

Even if they had the money NDSU has no place to go. They will not join as an Independent. The Sun Belt is now a regional conference who like their current footprint. Much like Idaho, NDSU is way outside of that footprint. The MWC wants nothing to do with FCS move ups. They want UTEP, Rice or UT San Antonio. Even NMSU have a better shot at the MWC than does NDSU. They would be 5th in line for the MAC. James Madison, Youngstown, UNI, Illinois State would be the top 4 FCS schools the MAC would show interest in.

JMU and YSU have both discussed FBS in the past. UNI has ties to the MAC, plus the MAC is still a BB conference first and UNI is a BB school. Illinois State have mentioned FBS before though budget issues in Illinois will hold them back.

No matter what you read on BV, NDSU has no conference to move to. End of story. Your rival to the south is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Would you say the same about SDSU?

• Upvote 1