SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana Western Game Thread

siouxfbfan

I was in the same boat. We did not even consider coming up for this game. However, we will be at Poly and USD for sure. Probably not Sioux Falls.

I'll do the last 3 for sure. Poly and USD are games that will be fun to watch and with them being Homecoming and USD should be good crowds. I'll go to Sioux Falls just cause the season will be winding down but I don't expect a great turnout.

I think there are a lot more in agreement here that if we would have had only one of these schools on the schdule this year I could have maybe tolerated it as it was last year of transition, whatever. The turnout will be better for USD and Cal Poly, and hopefully Faison realizes that he needs to get the Mines game off of next years schedule and people just aren't going to show up for these games. We may be saving $$$ on the front end by not having to pay these teams to come to the Alerus, but we are losing fans in attendance cause the games aren't competitive and fan's don't really care.

It sucks for the team who is doesn't have a say in scheduling and are beating the teams badly that they should. Like I said, rest up this week boys. Nice first half of the season, now its time to finish strong and bring home that Great West championship starting with Cal Poly.

I think watching on FSSN for free kills our attendance almost as much as the crappy schedule. Yes - the exposure is nice, but it doesn't do diddly for putting butts in the seats.

This is by far the lowest student turn-out I've seen in a long time. My son was quick to notice the "sack-city" poster was missing. :sad:

As far as season ticket holders not attending, I'd encourage you (if you haven't already) to post your available tickets on this site. A few bucks in your pocket and a Sioux fan will (most likely) get a better seat than through the ticketmaster window. If money isn't your thing, give the darn things away - but at least don't let them sit empty if you can help it.

• Upvote 1

I think watching on FSSN for free kills our attendance almost as much as the crappy schedule. Yes - the exposure is nice, but it doesn't do diddly for putting butts in the seats.

This is by far the lowest student turn-out I've seen in a long time. My son was quick to notice the "sack-city" poster was missing. :sad:

As far as season ticket holders not attending, I'd encourage you (if you haven't already) to post your available tickets on this site. A few bucks in your pocket and a Sioux fan will (most likely) get a better seat than through the ticketmaster window. If money isn't your thing, give the darn things away - but at least don't let them sit empty if you can help it.

If thats the case, then how do you explain the turnout for hockey?

If thats the case, then how do you explain the turnout for hockey?

I see your point, but we were selling out hockey games long before they were on TV... I guess they got the demand to where it needed to be. We didn't get the demand for football, IMO before we gave it away.

Not saying I'm right, but my opinion nonetheless.

I see your point, but we were selling out hockey games long before they were on TV... I guess they got the demand to where it needed to be. We didn't get the demand for football, IMO before we gave it away.

Not saying I'm right, but my opinion nonetheless.

We were selling the Alerus out when it opened, and if I recall, most of those games were not on tv. Not saying that free tv doesn't hurt attendance as I'm sure it does keep a few people away. I believe the biggest factor keeping people away are the opponents scheduled and the product on the field. Montana Western and BHSU fall somewhere between Valley City State and Mayville State in terms of competition level. And the scary thing about that is, UND still wasn't able, heck they didn't even try to throw on Montana Western until the third quarter. IMO, UND was outplayed for much of the first half and that more than anything is keeping people away. I used to go to most if not all home football games. Over the last three years, I've only made it to a handful of games. My main excuses...1. The product on the field and 2. The weakness of the opponents.

The schedules will change beginning next year which is nice. It's my opinion that UND still has a ways to go to compete and challenge in the Big Sky.

I've always felt that the prospective fans that patronize North Dakota football games don't care much about the opponents. They want to see a winning team, and one that is challenging for a title of some sort.

And we've never routinely sold out the Alerus. You could count on one hand the number of times the Alerus has been sold out in 10 years. Even the last NDSU game in '03 didn't sell out. It could happen though, assuming we can be perennial top 3 team in the Big Sky and get back to the point where we are usually making the playoffs.

I've always felt that the prospective fans that patronize North Dakota football games don't care much about the opponents. They want to see a winning team, and one that is challenging for a title of some sort.

And we've never routinely sold out the Alerus. You could count on one hand the number of times the Alerus has been sold out in 10 years. Even the last NDSU game in '03 didn't sell out. It could happen though, assuming we can be perennial top 3 team in the Big Sky and get back to the point where we are usually making the playoffs.

I disagree. Yes the average Sioux football fan wants to see a winning team, but I also think they wanna watch a competitive game. I get offered football tickets all the time. I easily turned down Montana Western and Black Hills St. I went to Drake (FCS and it was the first game of the season.. I am sure there are hundreds like me. No thanks, I don't wanna watch a non competitive football game the Sioux (should) are going to easily win by forty.

I don't think you give the quality of the opponent enough consideration when reflecting on attendance. I feel its two things: winning and opponent. If "we" suck no one shows regardless of opponent. Sioux are having a good season, the opponent become more critical. Lots of people are excited about next year. Because its an awesome home schedule. I don't even care if the Sioux lose. Part of the fun now adays to me seems when they might lose at home. Competitive fourth quarter games at the Alerus seem to far apart. One a season?

The transition has been hard on Sioux football and could not have come at a worse time. The Sioux were riding high. New building, won a national championship, playing great (home) playoff football, and beating the Bison. All of a sudden it was all taken away. Nothing to play for and playing "no name NAIA schools." I think the average fan would much rather watch UMD, SCSU, Mankato, or any other regional D2 school that the Sioux fans are familiar with (versus University of Sioux Falls!)

Here is a quick story of how the Sioux football team got a new fan. My mom, bless her heart is/was over fifty and works at UND. She rarely went to a game. Never really paid attention. For some reason she went to one of the home playoff games (2001 or 02). The atmosphere was so amazing she was hooked!! The next year she bought season tickets and even now still has season tickets and never misses a game. She even tries to listen on the radio when she can (away games).

The thing that got her hooked is no longer there.

Its one thing to be IAA (FCS) and playing teams from a lower division,

But its another when half, three out of six, of your home games are against NAIA (or whatever they are at least were when the Sioux were D2)....

Something is wrong.

Complain all you want about how hard it is to schedule, blah, blah, blach, but if you ask me, Faison has failed us in this aspect.

And people wonder why attendance has declined (and the ones who show up leave at halftime).

Its one thing to be IAA (FCS) and playing teams from a lower division,

But its another when half, three out of six, of your home games are against NAIA (or whatever they are at least were when the Sioux were D2)....

Something is wrong.

Complain all you want about how hard it is to schedule, blah, blah, blach, but if you ask me, Faison has failed us in this aspect.

And people wonder why attendance has declined (and the ones who show up leave at halftime).

I agree. I blame Faison for scheduling SIoux Falls, Montana Western and BHSU. Everyone knew attendance would be a joke. But what in the HELL is SD Mines doing on our 2012 schedule. You telling me the 100+ FCS teams couldn't be scheduled??? No South Dakota? No NDSU? No OOC Big Sky team? NDSU had zero NAIA /DII teams on their 2007 year 5 transition schedule..ZERO!! We have 3. You telling me the toughness of scheduling has changed in that short of time? 2013 looks great 7 home games and a PURE DI schedule. Plus we win all our home games we go to the playoffs. Now in 2012 that SD Mines game could actually keep UND out. (See Montana 2010). No more scheduling to fill it, you schedule to make the playoffs (see NDSU).