SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana Western Game Thread

siouxfbfan

After the first quarter, it was total domination by UND.

But Coach Kelling's pass defense continues to be suspect at best, apparently regardless of the opponent.

All those students that showed up for the Drake game, but not today, suck. But I expected it since it is opening weekend for hockey. There is obviously no way to make it to the opening face-off of a 7:30 hockey game when a football game gets over at 4:00.

The attendance was absolutely appalling. Was it to be expected? Maybe, but I think the attendance indicates one of two situations. The first would be that drastically inferior opponents such as Montana Western and Black Hills State affect attendance even after a signature win that SHOULD increase excitement and following. The second situation would be that the football team just hasn’t put together enough to build overall program excitement, which is why a hockey game causes students and fans to forget about the game altogether. I think a good season record wise (including a win against both Cal Poly and South Dakota at home) and going into the Big Sky next season would help produce that much needed hype around the program. That hype would bring fans in.

When there are such few people at the game it affects the atmosphere which ultimately affects the team. The slow start was due to a lack of emotion from the team and that led to a 3 – 0 Montana Western lead at the end of the 1st quarter. Thankfully the next game is homecoming against a quality opponent- such circumstances satisfy both of the conditions I gave earlier which should increase attendance drastically.

From more of a football standpoint, the lack of a passing game is scary. Hopefully it develops because right now it just complements the offense but one of these upcoming games is going to require a passing game. In the first half of the game, all the passing plays called were down field “big-hitters” off playaction. This means there were no 3 step drops or “quick-hitters”, which ultimately are the passes that build a rhythm for the passing game. They finally got something like that going in the second half. Hopefully something develops in terms of chemistry and trust so they can air it out more for the entire game; otherwise, it is possible there will be a lot of pressure on the coaches to consider playing Mollberg next season. Also, Mussman mentioned Broc Bellmore is out for the season. This is a huge hit to what WAS the strongest position lineup (D-Line) on the team. Jay Nelson and Spencer Cummings are going to have to step up big for the Cal Poly game. Realistically, the whole team will need to against Cal Poly.

GO SIOUX!

I'm a season ticket holder, a Sioux alum and love taking our little guy to Sioux football games. I didn't drive up for the game this weekend. Not cause I had something going on but because I wasn't going to drive up for a 40 point blowout. I know 15 others at work that were in the same boat and I talked to five people in Grand Forks who didn't bother going to the game. I don't hunt but if I did, I would have picked phesants over this game. This had everything to do with quality of opponent. I agree with darrell, Sioux Falls may be the same thing.

That being said, the boys have a better record heading into the buy than most expected. Use the week to get healthy, get better and finish the season the way we now expect you to.

I'm surprised that no one is yelling about the ref saying, "North Dakota State has won the toss......I mean North Dakota has won the toss." The boo birds came out fast and furious.

Say what? Thought the schools never ever get mixed up?!?! Its ok, NDSU got called South Dakota State on Saturday.

There was a buzz in the crowd when he said it, but since we are no longer rivals it's pretty easy to move on. I've also had my UND logo wear confused for Notre Dame but I forgive people quickly and move on. Perhaps that was what happened with the polls a few weeks ago - coaches thought they were voting for Notre Dame :whistling:

There was a buzz in the crowd when he said it, but since we are no longer rivals it's pretty easy to move on. I've also had my UND logo wear confused for Notre Dame but I forgive people quickly and move on. Perhaps that was what happened with the polls a few weeks ago - coaches thought they were voting for Notre Dame :whistling:

haha which would make since because they are on a tear. Yea it's not that significant, but kinda funny.

I'm a season ticket holder, a Sioux alum and love taking our little guy to Sioux football games. I didn't drive up for the game this weekend. Not cause I had something going on but because I wasn't going to drive up for a 40 point blowout. I know 15 others at work that were in the same boat and I talked to five people in Grand Forks who didn't bother going to the game. I don't hunt but if I did, I would have picked phesants over this game. This had everything to do with quality of opponent. I agree with darrell, Sioux Falls may be the same thing.

That being said, the boys have a better record heading into the buy than most expected. Use the week to get healthy, get better and finish the season the way we now expect you to.

I was in the same boat. We did not even consider coming up for this game. However, we will be at Poly and USD for sure. Probably not Sioux Falls.