SiouxSports.com Forum

SIEMBIDA

SiouxperFan

Running under the assumption that this is accurate.

Josh Siembida (through Dec 17):

2.81 GAA (10th in GAA in the USHL)

0.918 save ratio

His Waterloo team has scored 40 goals. Sioux Falls has scored 123! Waterloo is one of three in the USHL to not break the team 60 goal mark yet.

Waterloo is dead last on the powerplay but third in killing penalties (I don't consider the US NDT a USHL team).

Uh, no powerplay but third on the kill? Even (or is it especially) on a bad team, a good penalty kill begins with the .... who? ;)

And how can you not like a guy from a place called Porcupine, Onterio. :)

(Edited by The Sicatoka at 4:47 pm on Dec. 21, 2001)

Since I have seen Josh play since he has come to Waterloo, I would just like to congradulate everyone at UND with adding a great addition to the team.  In no time at all I think Josh will be the starting goalie and lead UND back to the Frozen Four so all of us can watch Josh and the other former Blackhawks on TV.

Ahhh, excellent news.

I just finished wrapping a LOT of presents for three boys, and thought I would check in one last time to see if by chance this had happened.  I've checked the Waterloo, Sioux and USCHO boards regularly for the last week looking for this, and now here it is.  

USHR had nice things to say in its write-up.  Someone pasted it into the Waterloo board.

An odd twist, if I understood a post on that board right, is that Andy Kollar's dad is the goalie coach at Waterloo.

Since Sedevie hasn't been able to play much at all this year, I'm pleased to have someone else on board for next year.  Hopefully the Sioux can get back to having an excellent rotation in goal for the next 3-4 years.

Considering what the Sioux goalies have had to face in some games this year, at least Siembida is used to seeing a lot of rubber.

Anyway, good news, for this year and the future.

Happy holidays to all the Sioux fans, and I guess all college hockey fans, ...even Gopher fans.

Quote: from jk on 1:38 am on Dec. 22, 2001

Happy holidays to all the Sioux fans, and I guess all college hockey fans, ...even Gopher fans.

lol, Moved by your extreme Christmas spirit even I too will wish the Gopher fans a Merry Christmas. :biggrin: Have a Merry Christmas yourself, may we all have something to cheer about in the new year!

------------------------

Go Sioux!

Ok, so I have been looking for this to be posted somewhere else, even put in the newspaper but I find it no where. Looked at the Waterlou site and it was not there either. SO who gets cut?

I say give Sofie the hook now, gone see you thanks for coming I heard Lafranz got cut again?

I mean really there has to be something wrong with this kid if Blais keeps doing that, off the ice problems, personal issues?  Could it be academics or something else we don't know about.

I'm new to this board and a hockey fanatic. I'm originally from Philly, now living in Waterloo IA. I think you guys made a good choice in Siembieda. Josh has been nothing short  of spectacular this season although our record doesn't show  it. One broadcaster from Omaha (USHL powerhouse) asked at one point this season if that was Superman between the pipes. I became a Sioux fan when I moved to the Midwest because of a friend that graduated from there in the late 60's. I know you guys have a great tradition and I hope you don't think I'm jumping on your bandwagon. I've never been to Grand Forks but intend to get there at some point this season. How can I get tickets? I will be at the game on the 5th of January in Minneapolis. I hope Josh plays in that game as well as the other former Blackhawks. Hang in there guys. Get into the playoffs and anything can happen!

Happy Holidays Sioux Fans

Tickets? You can check the ticketmaster site or call the ticketmaster phone number on Thursday before each home series. Students tickets that haven't been picked up are sold as general admission.

You can also check out the buy/sell tickets board at the REA web site.

You gotta give Blais credit.  He desperately needs a goalie and he snaps his fingers and there is a goalie.  And from the numbers and what little I have read on him, he looks like a pretty solid goalie.  We'll see if he can be consistent and step up another level.

He comes from Waterloo, so hopefully Blais is getting good dope from Koberinski.  Also,  Andy Kollars dad is the goalie coach at Waterloo.  One would have to think that the Kollars are not blaming Blais for Andy's problems, or else Frank would find a way to send signals to Siembida about his choice of schools.   Either that or Frank knows that Seimbida is really a flash in the pan and so he encouraged him to go to UND.  But I purely speculate and choose to believe in the more positive side of the argument.

I'm happy for how our goaltending is looking at this time.  Brandt is playing well at this time, and Seimbida looks like he could be a solid contributor.

Goon,                                                                                                                                                                                   There was an article in the Waterloo Courier on the 24th of December. I would post the website for you, but I'm not that advanced on the PC. I'm sure if you type the paper in the search box you'll find it. When I was asking about tickets, I just assumed with the new arena that all the tickets would be gone by now. I got my tickets to the game on the 5th through a ticket agency in the Twin Cities. Is there a network that carries Sioux games up there? I have direct tv, but have not seen much college hockey, except for those square heads in Minneapolis, I hope you can find the article, if not I'll try to do my best on what the article said.        ,

I found this on the Waterlooblackhawks.com

Siembeda Commits

Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) goaltender Josh Siembeda made up his mind last night, committing to the University of North Dakota.

Siembeda is going through the enrollment process right now. We're told that if all goes well with admissions, the goaltender should be in uniform when the Fighting Sioux hit the ice for the Great Lakes Invitational Dec. 28-29 in Detroit. If the admissions process gets bogged down over the holidays, Siembeda will be in uniform when UND travels to Minnesota Jan. 5-6.

The five schools Siembeda visited were: North Dakota, Boston University, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Colorado College.

In 21 games with Waterloo, the last place team in its division, Siembeda has a 2.81 gaa, but a .918 save percentage. Among goaltenders who've appeared in 15 or more games, Siembeda is third in save percentage, trailing only Cedar Rapids' Bobby Goepfert (.942), and Omaha's Marty Magers (.919).

Siembeda, who's from Porcupine, Ontario, which is way north, just a few kilometers east of Timmins, is a 3/14/83 birthdate who's 5'10" and 170 lbs. at best. He's very good fundamentally, plus he's athletic, quick, and exciting to watch. He has a good glove, handles the puck well enough, communicates nicely with his defensemen, has very good anticipation, and great competitiveness.

In early October, Siembeda came to Waterloo from the Espanola Screaming Eagles of the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League. The Screaming Eagles, who got cash in return, sent him to the USHL simply because the goaltender expressed a wish to go there in order to be seen by more colleges. (Espanola, a town of about 5,000 two-thirds of the way along Route 17 between the Soo and Sudbury, is a bit off the beaten track.)

Right now, the two primary goaltenders at North Dakota are senior Andy Kollar, who's played 13 games, but is having an off-year; and freshman Jake Brandt, who's played six, and looked shaky until this past weekend, when he stopped 51 of 54 shots in a pair of wins over St. Lawrence.

Taken from www.ushr.com

Dagies,                                                           I was able to find tickets at a ticket agency in Wisconsin at the pretty steep price of 65$ per ticket. You can order them online or call them. The website is ticketking.net and there is an icon for Gopher sports.I really didn't want to pay that much, but it beats standing in the cold looking for scalpers. Guess I'm a wuss. I'm 33 and married,but, if I make it to Grand Forks sometime this winter with my buddies, where are some of the cool places to hit before and after the game.

Philly, go to Bonzers downtown.  Good beer in ice cold schooners and excellent college sports karma.

Siembida is coming immediately.  That's good news for UND because he will challenge the other goaltenders to play better or he'll take over the starting role.  Either way, its a good thing we got him.  It might just help us save the season from being a total flop.

Go Sioux.

Sorry, Phillyboy, I can't help you with GF.  I haven't lived there since school in 1987 and the Spud has been long since closed down....hmmmm, buck pitchers on Friday afternoons.......

I bought scalped tickets outside Mariucci last year for ุ/per.  The year before that it was ฮ.  This year it could be a hotter ticket, or maybe not so hot since the Sioux are not playing quite as well.  We'll see.  Thanks for the info.  ๑ is pretty steep for me.  I'll probably take my chances.  I'm 38 and married.  You are a wuss.  ;)

PhillyBoy, Whitey's is always a good bet for eating and drinking, as well as meeting other Sioux fans.  Frenchy's, a real hockey bar, passed into oblivion, (moment of silence) ... and I've heard the Westward Ho has gone/will go the same way (another moment of silence).  Around Minneapolis, there will be a Sioux alumni/friends gathering that Saturday(?) at Grandma's near Mariucci before the game.

Welcome aboard.  :)

Siembeda looked very comfortable in net right from the start in period one vs. MSU. Some big saves on the PP, but the Sioux are forechecking the crap out of MSU, absolute domination. MSU has taken some cheap shot penalties that got the Sioux their fourth goal (Schneekloth) on the 5 on 3 PP. 21 first period shots, probably half of them great chances. They could easily have 6 by now. Miller barely stopped one that made it through him as it was trickling across the line. A Dman went into the butterfly in the crease and made another save on a sure Sioux goal on a rebound shot.

I think we have a goalie. Lets see how he does if the Sioux come out in their soft defense. No sign of it in the first. They were burned a couple times but rarely got caught outnumbered. Strong backchecking by the forwards. That period looked much more like the Sioux of the past few years. Maybe there is hope yet for this season.

I thought Siembida looked pretty good.  Seemed to have good position most of the time.  Too bad that 4th goal snuck through.  I would have felt badly for him had the Sioux lost the game.

He does like to get out from the goal and a couple of times I was scared he was going to get himself in trouble, but got away from it.

Looks like he could be a solid goalie.  Way to go, kid.  I guess he met the team at the Mpls airport on the way to MI, and then he gets thrown in the championship game.

Hennessey just interviewed him.  Sounds like a pretty sharp guy.  Way to go, Blais, in finding him.

Good weekend for the Sioux.  I'm looking forward to seeing them at Mariucci next weekend.

This is my very first post in this forum.  Nice to see familiar faces here.  I will try to behave...  or not.

How much of this goalie change is more psychological for the team, rather than just better play between the pipes?  I think Kollar was hung out to dry on many occassions.  The Mankato series was bad up and down the roster-- not just goaltending.

Whatever gets the Sioux back in the running, I'm all for it.

taz