SiouxSports.com Forum

Forum upgrade

jimdahl

Ok, I worked with the forum vendor and they're pretty sure the popup problem is fixed.

As to the people having problems quoting -- I've only been able to duplicate it once, by grabbing an old laptop (that hasn't accessed the forum during the upgrade). As soon as I forced a fresh load (hold shift while hitting reload) it began working. Clearing the browser cache would have the same effect. So, I still think that problem is just people getting a mix of the new software plus some old content cached on their web browser.

If anyone clears the cache and still has problems quoting, let me know. I've tested in Safari / IE / Firefox / Chrome / iOS.

Jim - I have cleared my cache and here is a list of things that I still cannot do:

1. I cannot use the Quote feature.  If I click Quote on someone's post, it takes me to the bottom of the page to a blank "Reply to this topic" area.  Not only does it not have the person's original quote in it, but I also cannot type in it.  I have to refresh the page before I can type anything.

2. I cannot create a hyperlink to a web page.  I can click the Hyperlink icon and the Hyperlink window opens.  It looks different than it has in the past, but I cannot click OK to "complete" the process and take me back to my reply with the hyperlinked web page.

3. Once I have that Hyperlink window open, I cannot close it and I have to refresh the page.  Also, if I just try to copy and past the link from a website/article, I cannot.  I copy the link and when I come back to my reply area on SS.com, when I try to paste nothing happens.  Same thing if I have a article open and I try to copy text from that article and paste it here.  I can't.

Any suggestions?

The quoting problem still really seems like a cached content issue. But, even if not, some of the diagnostics are the same.

A couple things people could try:

* Switch themes. Click "Change Theme" in the lower left and choose "IP.Board". That will switch to the default theme which your browser shouldn't have cached.

* Try to force your browser to reload all the assets. On most PCs, holding "Shift" while hitting browsers reload button will cause it to reload all of the assets for the page, not relying on anything cached.

Meanwhile, I'll try to see if I can cause the names of the files in question to change, which would force everyone's browsers to load the new versions because the browsers will no longer think they have those files cached.

I still can't quote on Internet Explorer

A workaround is to click the toggle switch in the upper left corner of the reply area. It's listed as BBCode Mode if you hover over the button. This only works if you have it in BBCode mode when you start the post. Strangely, if you start the post in BBCode mode, you can toggle back to regular mode and the quote box does what it's supposed to.

Still can't quote...GRRR!

Did you try both the things I recommended here -- http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15972-forum-upgrade/?p=719746 and neither made a difference?

The problem that I'm having is that it's not failing for everyone with a particular browser (e.g. plenty of us have it working with IE). I was able to duplicate it myself once in IE, but after I fixed a known problem with IE11 it went away after I hit shift-reload, which is what has me thinking people still experiencing it might have bad cached content.

The quoting problem still really seems like a cached content issue. But, even if not, some of the diagnostics are the same.

* Try to force your browser to reload all the assets. On most PCs, holding "Shift" while hitting browsers reload button will cause it to reload all of the assets for the page, not relying on anything cached.

Worked! 

Not a miracle -- at first clearing the cache fixed it for everyone but people using IE 11. That led me to find a known bug with the forum and IE 11 that I fixed. But, some people might have needed to clear the cache again if they hadn't done so since the fix.

Glad it's working for everyone now!

• Upvote 1