SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Recruiting

UND Fan

Sioux2013 woooosa buddy. It's only the off-season ������. And if your telling me you think a Texas Tech transfer and a athletic big in Traylor will come off of the bench, your crazy! They're saying this Nash kid can play 3/4. Which would make sense of having Webb and Huff at the backcourt, Nash at the small forward position and Traylor and Brekke as the 4 and 5 positions. This is the big sky kid, not the "great west" that your use to, hence the name "BIG" sky. We have to bring our best, and I'm not sure the starting 5 that we have coming out of the great west from this past season would've have been good enough. These additions are to help us compete in the big sky. Read the article, and the part in the Nash signing, where he stated, "we now feel we have the pieces we need going into the big sky"

I figure Traylor will start and no way Huff plays the 2. Huff has proven not to be a good outside shooter and thats what you need at the 2. Plus at the 2 you need a great ball handler and passer. Again this is not Huff's strength. This Texas Tech transfer shot under 30% from the line and no threes made so its obvious he cant shoot from the outside either. There will definately be a bottle neck at the 4 and 5 spots. Good problem to have entering the Big Sky. Maybe this Texas Tech transfer will play the 3 behind Huff. Not trying to start anything but Anderson is definately solid at the 2 spot. You made the comment about next year not me. Just my opinion that you dont like.

• Upvote 1

Just checked Nash's stats from last year. Shot 50% from the field, 27% from the line and only had 2 assists and 20 turnovers. With only 2 assists and 20 turnovers he would appear he should be a 4 or 5. Doesn't appear he likes to pass. Hope he plays team ball cause thats what we need. Time will tell. If he gets approval to play next year we will have 8 scholarship players in the same class. OUCH

I commend this UND staff for going out and making these additions. I smell the dance nearby! My only concern is someone will have to sit. Anderson? Brekke?

I guess I need to see these additions first before I get too excited, as well as a little better consistency from playing at home to playing on the road. Like you said, this is the Big Sky we are talking about, not the Great West, and we had trouble winning a road game in the Great West. They do seem to find a different game down the stretch so the dance is always a possibility, but still a major step up needs to be made because this is a major step up.

I figure Traylor will start and no way Huff plays the 2. Huff has proven not to be a good outside shooter and thats what you need at the 2. Plus at the 2 you need a great ball handler and passer. Again this is not Huff's strength. This Texas Tech transfer shot under 30% from the line and no threes made so its obvious he cant shoot from the outside either. There will definately be a bottle neck at the 4 and 5 spots. Good problem to have entering the Big Sky. Maybe this Texas Tech transfer will play the 3 behind Huff. Not trying to start anything but Anderson is definately solid at the 2 spot. You made the comment about next year not me. Just my opinion that you dont like.

I agree with pretty much everything said here other that Huff and passing. I really think he can be a REALLY good passer. He showed glimpses of it last year with some of his no-look dishes to the post guys for wide open lay-ups/dunks.

• Upvote 2

24/7 I agree. I was a bit thrown off myself about not being a good passer, or even a good dribbling. I thought he was a great passer, and had silky moves. Or let me guess, your referring to when he passes or how many times? Anywho, go Sioux!

Ok, what I should have said is from the 2 spot you need someone that shoots well from the outside, looks for the open man because he is a guard and thats his responsibility and does not turn the ball over alot (good assist to turnover ratio). Anderson shoots the ball very well, takes good shots and in his career has 157 assists and 108 turnovers (not bad) and stays under control. Huff has 99 assists and 151 turnovers for his career and we all know he gets out of control alot and cant shoot consistantly from beyound 5'. All I was saying to your comment about Huff playing the 2 is that he is not a 2 in anyway shape or form compared to Anderson. Yes he does make some nice passes at times but actually should make more passes at other times. Huff is a very sold 3. Nothing negative towards him he is just a 3 or 4. You have a very solid 2 in Anderson, Schuler and Antwi( if he is not playing the point). It will be very interesting what shakes out with the lineups but this Texas Tech transfer and Traylor obviously cant shoot from the outside and we are used to the 4 shooting from the outside as well as inside (Mitchell). None of the new players made a three last year so our guards will probably take more threes than the last 3-4 years or we attack more inside with all the bigs. Like I said we are very solid now in every position with starters and backups and the coaches will have a hard time finding enough playing time for all these players. Not sure where Allard and Benton fit in know and it looks as if Wilmer and Archers are way on the outside looking in. It will be a very interesting and exciting first year in the Big Sky.

Wiki has been updated with recruiting info for the 2013-14 season. The latest offer:

G Jarvis Garrett, 6', 165, West Allis (Central), WI Has offers from Creighton, WI-GB, WI- Mil, Portland St, USD & NDSU

2013-2014 and 2014-15 we will have alot of available scholarships. If my math is correct we will need to fill 11 of our 13 scholarhips in these 2 years.

2013-2014 and 2014-15 we will have alot of available scholarships. If my math is correct we will need to fill 11 of our 13 scholarhips in these 2 years.

We absolutely need to bring in a couple of talented freshmen next year to set the groundwork for the team after all these juniors-to-be graduate.

We absolutely need to bring in a couple of talented freshmen next year to set the groundwork for the team after all these juniors-to-be graduate.

Just another reason why this season is extremely important. There's a chance to make the dance in our first year in the big sky. But we have seen teams make the dance with a stacked lineup one year and the not get anywhere close the past few years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are apparently the first to offer Connor Voss, the 6'11" center from St. Cloud Cathedral. He is raw but appearently making very good progress in AAU ball this summer. There are a ton of schools looking at him.

We are also looking at Scotty Tyler, a 6'7" forward from Grafton, WS

Wiki has been updated with some other new info.

If we can somehow land Jarvis Garrett that would be amazing! I really hope we can land Voss and one of the other 4 we have offered. How many scholarships will be available after this year?

We will have 3 scholarship seniors this year in Wilmer, Archer and Allard. So if nothing else changes we will have 3 to offer after this coming year.

• 2 weeks later...

UND has offered a shooting guard from Pekin, IL. He averaged about 14 points a game as a junior. A lot of folks have offered!

SG Nate Taphorn, 6'7”, 175, Pekin (Pekin), IL Has offers from Bradley, CSU, Creighton, Drake, Green Bay, Miami (OH), Northwestern, S IL and IL-Chicago

Taphorn has verballed to Northwestern.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...