SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Recruiting

UND Fan

I went to the Red River basketball game last night and we have to be recruiting Mac Kroeplin don't we? He is only a junior so by the time he graduates we will have some scholarships open.

I was told UND has interest in Red River sr. Mack Arvidson, although with the scholarship situation I suspect it may be as a walk on. Kroeplin would presumably also be on UND's radar. The interesting thing to me is that as I understand it, both Arvidson and Kroeplin may be better than Shanley jr. A.J. Jacobson, who has garnered far more attention as a potential dI prospect.

I was told UND has interest in Red River sr. Mack Arvidson, although with the scholarship situation I suspect it may be as a walk on. Kroeplin would presumably also be on UND's radar. The interesting thing to me is that as I understand it, both Arvidson and Kroeplin may be better than Shanley jr. A.J. Jacobson, who has garnered far more attention as a potential dI prospect.

Yeah I have heard that Arvidson plans on walking-on to UND but I don't know for sure. Also I guess they would have offered him a scholarship a year ago if he was two inches taller.

What position does Arvidson play and what is his height? Remember boys we need bigs.

He's 6'2" and plays shooting guard. Good athlete. My feeling is that if UND can get him as a walk-on, he could possibly help down the road. I believe he's more skilled offensively than some current scholarship players.

I don't care how good the kid is! We need BIGS! We're going to find ourselves with Brekke as our only big soon.

It's not an either/or proposition. If Arvidson comes to UND, it will be as a walk on. Nobody is disputing that whatever scholarships are made available for next season, they need to go to a couple of bigs.

A case could be made that Arvidson's offensive potential is better than any current UND bench player aside from perhaps Schuler (and he's definitely more athletic than Josh). If you can get him to walk on, why not?

I don't care how good the kid is! We need BIGS! We're going to find ourselves with Brekke as our only big soon.

Not only Bigs, but athletic Bigs. UND will go nowhere recruiting skinny ND and Upper midwest white kids unless you can find 5 Phil Jackson's. They need to get into the heart of HS BB in the bigger cities, inner cities, places where the kids play BB all day long like the kids in Minnesota and ND do with hockey. They need to find tough kids who would be Big 10 partials or walkons that would only play a role at a Big 10 school and tell them they will either start or get lots of minutes as the first player off the bench. Personally I do not think there is one kid on the UND team that is good enough to make it in the Big 10 even as a bench ridereven Huff, who would have been eaten alive by now by any Big 10 coach worth his pay. In addition they need to start coaching these kids that they are a team. The victory over Montana should have been easier than it was and if you cannot shoot 75% from the foul line your scholarship is in jeopardy. C'mon, we have been building for almost 5 years to play big time BB. It is time to look like it. Where is Bill Fitch when you really need him? Lots of season left. Let's see some improvement.

Not only Bigs, but athletic Bigs. UND will go nowhere recruiting skinny ND and Upper midwest white kids unless you can find 5 Phil Jackson's. They need to get into the heart of HS BB in the bigger cities, inner cities, places where the kids play BB all day long like the kids in Minnesota and ND do with hockey. They need to find tough kids who would be Big 10 partials or walkons that would only play a role at a Big 10 school and tell them they will either start or get lots of minutes as the first player off the bench. Personally I do not think there is one kid on the UND team that is good enough to make it in the Big 10 even as a bench ridereven Huff, who would have been eaten alive by now by any Big 10 coach worth his pay. In addition they need to start coaching these kids that they are a team. The victory over Montana should have been easier than it was and if you cannot shoot 75% from the foul line your scholarship is in jeopardy. C'mon, we have been building for almost 5 years to play big time BB. It is time to look like it. Where is Bill Fitch when you really need him? Lots of season left. Let's see some improvement.

Agree 100%. Getting a local kid from a small time high school program that is willing to walk on is not improving this team. Yea he may be better than a few bench players we have but he is playing against no competition in this area and what does that do for us the next 2 years in the Big Sky. He would be behind Webb, Anderson, Schuler and Antwi. We need players that are a lot better than what we have to build this program.

I am excited about everything this sophomore class had done but they need help so with this class we can compete and possibly win the Big Sky next year and in their senior year. We have a great young nucleus but in our losses it proves we need a big and some better control with our shots.

Agree 100%. Getting a local kid from a small time high school program that is willing to walk on is not improving this team. Yea he may be better than a few bench players we have but he is playing against no competition in this area and what does that do for us the next 2 years in the Big Sky. He would be behind Webb, Anderson, Schuler and Antwi. We need players that are a lot better than what we have to build this program.

I am excited about everything this sophomore class had done but they need help so with this class we can compete and possibly win the Big Sky next year and in their senior year. We have a great young nucleus but in our losses it proves we need a big and some better control with our shots.

He may develop in time, but Antwi has not done much so far (total of 7 points scored in 7 games played), particularly compared to what Huff, Webb and Anderson did as true freshmen last year. IMO, UND needs some help on the inside, AND more quality depth on the perimeter.

Okay he would be behind Webb, Anderson, and Schuler for one year. I don't understand what is wrong with getting a great local talent especially when he would walk-on.

Okay he would be behind Webb, Anderson, and Schuler for one year. I don't understand what is wrong with getting a great local talent especially when he would walk-on.

He would be behind the above for 2 years. Webb, Anderson and Schuler are sophomores and I thought Arvidson is a senior this year. Why not find a BIG that will walk on.

• 2 weeks later...

How accurate do you guys think ESPN's recruiting thing is? I am just curious because it has Josh Gentry's scout grade as 77, and Shane Benton's as 82. Kind of interesting because Benton redshirted and also Troy Huff's was only one better than Benton.

I don't think it is very accurate at all. I believe Webb was like a 72 and based on what Webb did his freshman year compared to what Gentry has done, its not close. I guess we will see what Benton brings next year but with a very good guard class ahead of them it could be tough for him just like it has been for Antwi and Gentry.

• 1 month later...