SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

On KFAN's Beyond the Pond today, when asked about the new hockey conference make-up this year, St Cloud Bob Motzko was quite blunt in saying "it is what it is." Hardly a ringing endorsement of the Big 10 and NCHC.

I'm paraphrasing here but Motzko also made the point that college hockey used to pay attention to its fans and that that's not the case anymore.

On KFAN's Beyond the Pond today, when asked about the new hockey conference make-up this year, St Cloud Bob Motzko was quite blunt in saying "it is what it is." Hardly a ringing endorsement of the Big 10 and NCHC.

Hard time finding a conference post among the watches argument, but finaly did.

The NCHC based on nonconference record, would appear to be on leval equal to the WCHA and AHA. All other conferneces appear much better. A list of NCHC killer games follows:

SCSU - Tied Bemidji and Union

UND -Tied Vermont, loss and tie to Boston

UNO- Lost to Bentley, Northern Michigan, Cornell x2, and New Hampshire x2

Denver -Tied Alaska, UAA, Air Force, RPI, and Brown, Lost to Canisius

Duluth - Mich. Tech tie, Lost to Notre Dame and Ohio State

Western Mich - Lost to Notre Dame x2, Loss and Tie to Northern Mich, tie with Northeastern, Tie with Alaska

CC - Losses to Clarkson x2, Air Force, UNH x2, Wisco x2, and Brown

Miami- Loss and tie to Providence, loss to Wisco

A couple of the losses/ties were to teams higher up in pairwise (Wisco/Providence), but most are pairwise killers for the conference a a whole. The teams in the conference top 4 have some terrible ties and losses to teams in the lower division of their conferences. It would appear the NCHC stinks this year.

Now going to check my watch, know it was cheap (way below $400 cheap) but keeps time perfectly (radio watch) and is solar powered. Still trying to figure out why smokey and gfhockey need to measure themselves by a pocketbook. Strange? Next we'll be measuring schwanstuckes.

I paid 20.00 for my watch, I tend to go through a lot of them.

Watch?

Don't use one anymore. The smartphone is smart enough to tell me the time.

With the use of cell/smartphones,etc,., I'd sell the stock in Timex and any camera companies you may have.

Watch?

Don't use one anymore. The smartphone is smart enough to tell me the time.

With the use of cell/smartphones,etc,., I'd sell the stock in Timex and any camera companies you may have.

I literally need to have a watch to function. It goes back to my Army days.

The NCHC based on nonconference record, would appear to be on leval equal to the WCHA and AHA. All other conferneces appear much better. A list of NCHC killer games follows:

SCSU - Tied Bemidji and Union

UND -Tied Vermont, loss and tie to Boston

UNO- Lost to Bentley, Northern Michigan, Cornell x2, and New Hampshire x2

Denver -Tied Alaska, UAA, Air Force, RPI, and Brown, Lost to Canisius

Duluth - Mich. Tech tie, Lost to Notre Dame and Ohio State

Western Mich - Lost to Notre Dame x2, Loss and Tie to Northern Mich, tie with Northeastern, Tie with Alaska

CC - Losses to Clarkson x2, Air Force, UNH x2, Wisco x2, and Brown

Miami- Loss and tie to Providence, loss to Wisco

The TIME is now for NCHC teams to start winning every single non-conference game they play the rest of the season. It certainly looks like most NCHC teams will be WATCHing the tournament, not playing in it.

• 3 months later...

Couldn't find the tv viewing thread and I don't know if anybody posted this yet, but Schoss tweeted that the NCHC is discussing the its CBS exclusivity clause, this week.

The clause will be around for at least one more season unless they completely restructure the contract. Faison was talking about it with Duluth's AD and Josh Fenton at the awards banquet.

• 3 years later...
On 9/21/2011 at 5:51 AM, ticklethetwine said:

I have to admit this whole NCHC is looking less attractive if the likes of St. Cloud join it. I just don't understand the thinking in this one. Let's hope it's not true. I wonder if there is some petition we could sign to nt allow St Cloud into the NCHC. If they are they will immediately poison the well.

On 9/21/2011 at 10:53 AM, Rick said:

Agreed, but on the bright side, every conference needs a bottom feeder. This couldn't get much worse. What's next, an invite to the Gophers? :lol:

A couple of spot on posts from September 2011.  St. Cloud State University, poisoning the NCHC well as a bottom feeder, one Penrose at a time.

• Downvote 1

On 9/22/2011 at 10:13 AM, ScottM said:

Perhaps somebody from the media will ask where they will get funding to refurbish the NCC, as well as support a D1 hockey team in the future, since they seem so apathetic about sports on the campus. I think Gino deserves a kick in the stones if he had anything to do with this.

On 9/22/2011 at 11:30 AM, Pump It Up said:

I agree. If Gino was in anyway a part of this, you should go find an old man who played for the Sioux, brought back 3 NCAA championships to Grand Forks as head coach and also served as UND's athletic director so you can kick him in the balls. Classy.

On 9/22/2011 at 11:54 AM, ScottM said:

Which doesn't outweigh the fact he may have handed UND an albatross at a very critical point in its overall development.

Another very prescient point.  The albatross that is SCSU has truly doomed the NCHC.

• Downvote 5