SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Great...and I suppose they'll have a "North Dakota Rule" that will be wrongly perceived as a huge advantage to us... :)

Ha no kidding. Take North Dakota out of this tournament and the attendance will be lucky to hit 5000, put UND in this tournament and attendance should be around 15000, possibly higher. For the amount of money that UND fans will be making the other school's, they will have no right to whine about the proposed "North Dakota rule".

• Upvote 1

Either way, you can park your car at the hotel for the weekend and leave it there. Everything is within walking distance, even the train to MOM.

Even more so is everything is within walking distance indoors. Bit it is usually nice enough by that time it would not matter anyhow. Who the heck would want to go to the MOM for?

Even more so is everything is within walking distance indoors. Bit it is usually nice enough by that time it would not matter anyhow. Who the heck would want to go to the MOM for?

If your wife is along...you're probably going.

If she's not, you're probably going for the sports bar.

• Upvote 1

I went when the WCHA playoff tourney was at the Target Center, and I thought it was run pretty well. Take into account that the Target Center is in for a major renovation, and it might just work out well. I would hope that the NCHC is asking that they address any possible ice situations when they do their renovations, which could make it an even better scenario.

The last hockey game at the Target Center was a regular season game between MN and UW in March of 2010...

For media types, the Target Center is just awful. The pressbox is tiny compared to the X. It's literally 1/8th the size. So I am guessing that they would need to make a special press area in the upper deck in order to accommodate the team reps and the media. I know that the MN radio broadcast was from a table at the top of the lower section during that game, whereas they would usually have their own room at the X.

For the fans though... I don't really think it will be that bad. Sure it won't have the comforts of the X, but the location should more than make up for that.

The last hockey game at the Target Center was a regular season game between MN and UW in March of 2010...

For media types, the Target Center is just awful. The pressbox is tiny compared to the X. It's literally 1/8th the size. So I am guessing that they would need to make a special press area in the upper deck in order to accommodate the team reps and the media. I know that the MN radio broadcast was from a table at the top of the lower section during that game, whereas they would usually have their own room at the X.

For the fans though... I don't really think it will be that bad. Sure it won't have the comforts of the X, but the location should more than make up for that.

That recently?

With these proposed renovations, having the NCHC at the Target Center every year is looking better and better all the time!! Not only will the building be a better venue, but the surrounding area will be great. Look at all the hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. in downtown Minneapolis. If they NCHS goes with the Target Center, I will be excited about it.

With these proposed renovations, having the NCHC at the Target Center every year is looking better and better all the time!! Not only will the building be a better venue, but the surrounding area will be great. Look at all the hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. in downtown Minneapolis. If they NCHS goes with the Target Center, I will be excited about it.

Exactly... both venues will be very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, saw that a few day

Brad Schlossman of the GF Herald just put out:

NCHC release says Target Center contract is for five years. Release doesn't talk about opt out (not surprisingly).

Yeah, I read that a few days ago on uscho.com. The Target center is a terrible venue.....but I don't know where else they could have it. The Ralph would be sweet....but only the Goofs get that type of advantage.

Yeah, saw that a few day

Yeah, I read that a few days ago on uscho.com. The Target center is a terrible location.....but I don't know where else they could have it. The Ralph would be sweet....but only the Goofs get that type of advantage.

The Target Center is a great location for fans. Lots of hotels, restaurants and bars within walking distance. They are going to spend $150 million renovating the building, hopefully they will make it a good hockey building. I have attended basketball games and concerts in the building and thought it worked well for them, I never saw a hockey game there.

Yeah, saw that a few day

Yeah, I read that a few days ago on uscho.com. The Target center is a terrible location.....but I don't know where else they could have it. The Ralph would be sweet....but only the Goofs get that type of advantage.

Location is great...what are you talking about??!! 4 schools are within 6 hours of Minneapolis. Plus, the Target Center is right downtown. Plenty places to stay/eat/etc. The one thing that you could say wasn't ideal is the facility. Yeah, they had hockey there before (Final 5, state tourbnament) and it wasn't great. But they are going to renovate the place. I would assume that part of the renovation is to make it better for hockey. True ht X would have been the best location, But I think with these renovations taking place, it will still be good.