SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Huh? :bigsmile: What? :D Did I miss something here? :p

Well, at least he's trying to get Nebraska talking about it. Hopefully he's trying to influence other AD's behind the scenes to add programs as well.

As for the 4 powerhouses...I count Michigan, Wisconsin (Devastated by early departures currently) and Michigan State who is traditionally an average squad. How can he even think of considering Ohio State a powerhouse? :lol:

Well, at least he's trying to get Nebraska talking about it. Hopefully he's trying to influence other AD's behind the scenes to add programs as well.

As for the 4 powerhouses...I count Michigan, Wisconsin (Devastated by early departures currently) and Michigan State who is traditionally an average squad. How can he even think of considering Ohio State a powerhouse? :lol:

yeah, i get it - he must mean Penn State ;)

As much as I love the great rivalry between the MInnesota Gophers and UND in hockey, if they do in fact go on a hiatus for a few years, I'll be okay with that. I would love the Sioux to schedule a few more games against BC or maybe even Boston University or Hockey East Schools.

Minnesota fans, need to truly understand that their program is not god's gift to college hockey and in the hiatus stretch, maybe their fans will be able to be non fair-weather fans and actually fill Marucci to capacity at one point, let alone show up on time...Been to many games there, don't tell me it doesn't happen, or that other events, (Gopher Basktetball) games are going on, or that Minnesota hockey is now the third tier sport at Minnesota, it always has been!

The reason why, is solely on the fact, that those teams year in and year out will not compete or be competing for the National Tournament. Minnesota, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin (on down years, happens to everyone, but the Sioux) and in the foreseeable future Nebraska (I know, still needs to come to fruition), will not be top elite talents winning the National Tournament. Not going to happen.

Other than the generating revenue between the series with the Gophers and Badgers, I strongly feel that UND will be ok. Don't get me wrong, those series/rivalries/ and atmosphere is second to none.

However, playing other non-conference games in their replacement for a few years is not a bad thing, it will help generate more awareness for UND across the college hockey spectrum, as if we needed anymore, but it won't hurt.

Keep in mind, the rivalry between Denver, CC, and UNO - which is heating up, produces great weekend series. Not to mention in Miami University now, their program is not laughable as to Notre Dames, They're aren't' too many people not taking notice to what Miami has done in the last 5-8 yrs. with their program. Those games will be great battles with UND in the new league.

Both conferences will be good. It is impossible to predict who benefits. To stick a fork in any of these schools at this point is laughable and ignorant.

You sound like a Gopher fan. I stuck a fork in them the last 3-4 years. What a falling of a program. Better this year, but still not great. That "ego" factor they have needs to be checked at the door amongst their players, fans, and state that is in a deficit.

I live and work in the state, so I'm fully aware and not trying to bite the hand that feeds me.

Comparing the truth to a sense of ignorance, is truly the laughable thing here, pal.

I am a Gopher fan who happens to live in the middle of ND. I am not dumb enough to think that UND or Denver are just going to go away in the college hockey landscape. I mean the following blurb is not a fact. Although you claim it is:

"The reason why, is solely on the fact, that those teams year in and year out will not compete or be competing for the National Tournament. Minnesota, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin (on down years, happens to everyone, but the Sioux) and in the foreseeable future Nebraska (I know, still needs to come to fruition), will not be top elite talents winning the National Tournament. Not going to happen."

All teams involved in the conferences will be just fine. You can't just discount the history there because they aren't included with one another. Sure you can wish, say and hope that those programs will fall off the map, but claiming that to be factual is inaccurate.

As much as I love the great rivalry between the MInnesota Gophers and UND in hockey, if they do in fact go on a hiatus for a few years, I'll be okay with that. I would love the Sioux to schedule a few more games against BC or maybe even Boston University or Hockey East Schools.

Minnesota fans, need to truly understand that their program is not god's gift to college hockey and in the hiatus stretch, maybe their fans will be able to be non fair-weather fans and actually fill Marucci to capacity at one point, let alone show up on time...Been to many games there, don't tell me it doesn't happen, or that other events, (Gopher Basktetball) games are going on, or that Minnesota hockey is now the third tier sport at Minnesota, it always has been!

The reason why, is solely on the fact, that those teams year in and year out will not compete or be competing for the National Tournament. Minnesota, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin (On down years, happens to everyone, but the Sioux) and in the foreseeable future Nebraska (I know, still needs to come to fruition), will not be top elite talents winning the National Tournament. Not going to happen.

Other than the generating revenue between the series with the Gophers and Badgers, I strongly feel that UND will be ok. Don't get me wrong, those series/rivalries/ and atmosphere is second to none.

However, playing other non-conference games in their replacement for a few years is not a bad thing, it will help generate more awareness for UND across the college hockey spectrum, as if we needed anymore, but it won't hurt.

Keep in mind, the rivalry between Denver, CC, and UNO - which is heating up, produces great weekend series. Not to mention in Miami University now, their program is not laughable as to Notre Dames, They're aren't' too many people not taking notice to what Miami has done in the last 5-8 yrs. with their program. Those games will be great battles with UND in the new league.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. You're telling me UND wasn't having "down years" in the early to mid 90's? I would have to assume missing the NCAA tournament six years in a row in the 90's translates to some "down" years. Especially considering they only made it past the WCHA first round once out of those 6 years. I specifically remember going to games almost every weekend in the old REA with it being no more than half full every night. 2002 wasn't a "down" year for UND? Every program will have down years and that's a fact. UND is currently in an upswing but you can bet money that they will have some down years in the future, it's inevitable.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. You're telling me UND wasn't having "down years" in the early to mid 90's? I would have to assume missing the NCAA tournament six years in a row in the 90's translates to some "down" years. Especially considering they only made it past the WCHA first round once out of those 6 years. I specifically remember going to games almost every weekend in the old REA with it being no more than half full every night. 2002 wasn't a "down" year for UND? Every program will have down years and that's a fact. UND is currently in an upswing but you can bet money that they will have some down years in the future, it's inevitable.

I was alive and at those games in the early 90's. Those weren't down years, per se. UND had some great players from that era, not the best recruiting classes and a lot of players who played one year and left out of nowhere the next. Down years, maybe, but the fan base loved those years at the old Ralph during that stretch. I, for one of them.

For an elite program I consider that down years. I can understand a year or two, but six years or even three years like Minnesota is currently, I would consider down years for such elite programs. To say schools like Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin will never be national title contenders again, though, is a bit of a stretch. Those schools will always be three of the most elite, right there with UND, BC, BU and Denver.

I was alive and at those games in the early 90's. Those weren't down years, per se. UND had some great players from that era, not the best recruiting classes and a lot of players who played one year and left out of nowhere the next. Down years, maybe, but the fan base loved those years at the old Ralph during that stretch. I, for one of them.

You're wrong on two accounts. First, yes those are down years. Not sure how a Sioux fan could argue otherwise. 2001 was another down year. And second, if the fan base loved those years while the team was down then why was the the Ralph maybe half full?

You're wrong on two accounts. First, yes those are down years. Not sure how a Sioux fan could argue otherwise. 2001 was another down year. And second, if the fan base loved those years while the team was down then why was the the Ralph maybe half full?

Losing in the national title game is a down year :crazy::lol: You're probably thinking of 2003. They didn't have a good season but still managed to make it into the NCAA tournament before getting spanked by Ferris State.

Losing in the national title game is a down year :crazy::lol: You're probably thinking of 2003. They didn't have a good season but still managed to make it into the NCAA tournament before getting spanked by Ferris State.

I meant to say 2002, the first year of the Ralph when the Sioux came to Minneapolis for the WCHA first round.

The old Ralph was sold out still or near capacity in that stretch my friend. I remember going to the games against the Gophers, Badges, Tigers etc. The UND teams with Tedder Wyne, Curtis Murphy, Nick Namenko, Darcy Matini, era with Greg and Ryan Johnson and Landon Wilson and even Russ Romanick sp...they had a fan base and following. I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Sorry.

The old Ralph was sold out still or near capacity in that stretch my friend. I remember going to the games against the Gophers, Badges, Tigers etc. The UND teams with Tedder Wyne, Curtis Murphy, Nick Namenko, Darcy Matini, era with Greg and Ryan Johnson and Landon Wilson and even Russ Romanick sp...they had a fan base and following. I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Sorry.

Then you dont remember. The Ralph was literally half empty during those years the Sioux were irrelevent.

Then you dont remember. The Ralph was literally half empty during those years the Sioux were irrelevent.

No offense Buckysieve, but I know I'm younger and have a better vivid memory than you. That's a fact. To say I don't remember is completely wrong. Were they sold out every game, no. Against rivalry opponents, you'd have a tough time finding a spot, maybe other than the seats in the last few rows in the ralph here and there and that'd be very spotty. Nothing like what you see now at Marucci or AMSoil arena in Duluth, horrible spotting of unused seats all the time.

Not when I attended games which was just about every weekend...The place was usually half full in the 90's until 97. Even Gopher games usually didn't completely sell out IIRC. I believe even Goon admitted a couple months ago that the attendance in that time was very low.

Oh good. Another fact that is actually an opinion.

You're right. But I don't fabricate my opinions or statements on a message board, why would I? I vividly remember that era, those teams, and those games, either going to the game or watching the games on WDAZ while playing roller hockey in my basement. I remember!

The old Ralph was sold out still or near capacity in that stretch my friend.

As somebody who attended games on a relatively regular basis during those years, I think you are allowing your dislike of the other side to get in the way of reality. I'll need to take a shower after this post since I am agreeing with a couple of Goof fans but they are much more accurate on the attendance than you seem willing to admit. Of course, a few of the series were well attended but the percentage of seats filled in those days was not very good.

For an elite program I consider that down years. I can understand a year or two, but six years or even three years like Minnesota is currently, I would consider down years for such elite programs. To say schools like Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin will never be national title contenders again, though, is a bit of a stretch. Those schools will always be three of the most elite, right there with UND, BC, BU and Denver.

I completely agree. Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin (I'd throw Michigan State in as well) all have the resources to compete at the highest level. That is not to say that they won't have down years, but they will compete for national titles more often than not. In fact, of the 64 national championship games played, only 6 featured two teams not out of the 8 mentioned here (Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, UND, BC, BU, and Denver) with the last occuring in 1999 (Maine - New Hampshire). Further, the 8 schools have combined for 46 of the 64 titles, and 79 of the 128 spots in the title game. It is highly likely that trend will continue.

As somebody who attended games on a relatively regular basis during those years, I think you are allowing your dislike of the other side to get in the way of reality. I'll need to take a shower after this post since I am agreeing with a couple of Goof fans but they are much more accurate on the attendance than you seem willing to admit. Of course, a few of the series were well attended but the percentage of seats filled in those days was not very good.

Not when I attended games which was just about every weekend...The place was usually half full in the 90's until 97. Even Gopher games usually didn't completely sell out IIRC. I believe even Goon admitted a couple months ago that the attendance in that time was very low.

Yep. I remember the early 90s...not too tough to walk up to the door and probably get a FREE ticket from someone giving them away for most series. Those last few years of Gino's tenure could certainly be classified as a down period. Once Blais took the reigns it ramped up from there.

• 4 weeks later...

This year's field by new conference:

ATLANTIC HOCKEY

Air Force

BIG 10

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

ECAC

Cornell

Union

HOCKEY EAST