SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I didn't think that i needed to put the part about this tourney being in the X, I thought that was a givin per prior conversation ^ there, so I corrected my post. Smarty ;)

Ha, I kind of figured that, just trying to give you a hard time. The attendance figures would be interesting for a Big Ten Tournament in Chicago or Detroit. Michigan didn't have a very good crowd at the Frozen Four last year, but that is understandable due to the distance and lack of tickets. Would Minnesota fans travel that far? Its hard to answer that because for most people finances become an issue so they have to choose between the Big Ten Tourney, NCAA Regional, or the Frozen Four. If I had to pick one I would pick the Big Ten Tourney, that way I could be guaranteed to watch my team and be able to book in advance which would help with plane/hotel prices as well.

Ha, I kind of figured that, just trying to give you a hard time. The attendance figures would be interesting for a Big Ten Tournament in Chicago or Detroit. Michigan didn't have a very good crowd at the Frozen Four last year, but that is understandable due to the distance and lack of tickets. Would Minnesota fans travel that far? Its hard to answer that because for most people finances become an issue so they have to choose between the Big Ten Tourney, NCAA Regional, or the Frozen Four. If I had to pick one I would pick the Big Ten Tourney, that way I could be guaranteed to watch my team and be able to book in advance which would help with plane/hotel prices as well.

Nope.

PSU fans are mad because they think the Big Ten tournament should be held at every schools closest NHL arena in fairness. They don't believe it will be done in order to make the most money. These are also the same PSU fans that have been saying, "We'll easily be competing for NCAA Championships in 3-5 years because of our name and facilities." Which makes me burst out in laughter.

I personally won't travel to Detroit when the tournament is there because being in college still there's no way in hell I could afford that. Plus I've been to Detroit before and I'd be fine never seeing that s**thole again. I can't imagine more than a few thousand Gopher fans would do the 12 hour drive. I do the 15 hour drive from Grand Forks to Traverse City, MI every summer and that's enough for me.

I'm fairly certain that the B1G will be doing a rotation between St. Paul and Detroit, do any of you think it would be at all possible that the NCHC will try lock up the X for the years the B1G is in Detroit and then go to the Target Center the years the B1G is at the X? That way it leaves NCHC fans knowing they'll be in St. Paul every year for the conference tournament.

Yeah... OK. 13,000 Sioux fans will come down no matter what . You're not going to get that out of any Big Ten fan base other than the Gopher fans at the Big Ten Tournament and that's only given because it's in St. Paul. Have the Big Ten tournament in Wisconsin or elsewhere, and you'd only get a few thousand gopher fans to travel and show up. That's a fact, anyone else who argues or says differently, I don't want to hear it.

Curious on where you think these 13,000 Sioux fans come down from.

I think it would be kind of cool to have it at the highest seed in the tourney.

There would have to be specs tho. Like in an arena above 10,000 people etc etc

so if it happend to be Denver, they would have to play in the pepsi center but im sure that woudl have to be schedule and not jsut thrown together in a week. THere goes my idea haha

PSU fans are mad because they think the Big Ten tournament should be held at every schools closest NHL arena in fairness. They don't believe it will be done in order to make the most money. These are also the same PSU fans that have been saying, "We'll easily be competing for NCAA Championships in 3-5 years because of our name and facilities." Which makes me burst out in laughter.

I personally won't travel to Detroit when the tournament is there because being in college still there's no way in hell I could afford that. Plus I've been to Detroit before and I'd be fine never seeing that s**thole again. I can't imagine more than a few thousand Gopher fans would do the 12 hour drive. I do the 15 hour drive from Grand Forks to Traverse City, MI every summer and that's enough for me.

I'm fairly certain that the B1G will be doing a rotation between St. Paul and Detroit, do any of you think it would be at all possible that the NCHC will try lock up the X for the years the B1G is in Detroit and then go to the Target Center the years the B1G is at the X? That way it leaves NCHC fans knowing they'll be in St. Paul every year for the conference tournament.

If the "X" won't lock up the NCHC every year, I certainly would be in favor of the rotation between the "X" and the Target Center. Like someone said, at some point the Target Center will be looking for full scale renovations, and that might make it even more attractive, especially if they include more hockey friendly renovations to the mix.

Doesn't a rotation make it difficult to reward loyal tournament attendees? Currently those who have attended the Final Five get some loyalty treatment on their seat tickets and priority for upgrades. Moving the tournament around would likely make such an arrangement at least complicated, if not impossible.

These are also the same PSU fans that have been saying, "We'll easily be competing for NCAA Championships in 3-5 years because of our name and facilities." Which makes me burst out in laughter.

I think that is funny as well, they will probably be a door matt team.

I guarantee they will. They're happy they got their first NHL draft pick. A player that left Minnesota for lack of playing time...

No kidding, have any of the recent commits to UND or UM listed Penn State as a team they were even considering? I can't remember one player. I don't care if they have that brand new fancy rink, our's is still better. The rink is really nothing without the tradition. Ohio State has the largest and one of the nicest facilities in college hockey. Before Osiecki joined them they were a perrenial bottom-dweller in the CCHA. Once Penn State starts developing a tradition, then they could be a power but don't look for it until 10-15 years down the road.

You ever been to the championship of the Final Five the last two years? Probably not since the gophers a)weren't there. I rest my case, boner!

You DO realize that most UND fans (and 13,000 is a bit of a strech) at the Final Five live in Minnesota (most in the metro area), right ?

You ever been to the championship of the Final Five the last two years? Probably not since the gophers a)weren't there. I rest my case, boner!

He was making a sarcastic comment implying that most of the UND fans at the Final Five live somewhere in the MSP metro area, so they don't come "down" from anywhere.

He was making a sarcastic comment implying that most of the UND fans at the Final Five live somewhere in the MSP metro area, so they don't come "down" from anywhere.

It would have been nice if SiouxForever stated it that way but he didn't. It looked like he was implying 13,000 fans come down from Grand Forks. I agree when I hear Sioux fans travel well to the Final Five, it's just they travel from Burnsville, Shakopee, Blaine, etc. to get to St. Paul. There is alot of UND alumni that live in the cities. Before anybody gets all upset, I do realize people from Grand Forks also travel to St. Paul for the final Five

I think the outcome of this is going to shock a lot of people! I bet the Natl goes to the X!

I could see it. The X could be telling the B1G that they want it every year or nothing at all. If they do agree to allow the rotation, though, I do think the NCHC will do the Target Center, Xcel rotation.

I wonder how many Sioux fans would care or even know who the school is after the Sioux are no morwe. You think the attendence at football games are low now; just wait until fans stop showing for hockey games. Don't think it will happon. Lets wait and see for future playoffs and national tornaments who shows up.

I wonder how many Sioux fans would care or even know who the school is after the Sioux are no morwe. You think the attendence at football games are low now; just wait until fans stop showing for hockey games. Don't think it will happon. Lets wait and see for future playoffs and national tornaments who shows up.

The vast majority of people that buy tickets for sporting events now will also buy them if the name is changed. We go to watch the games, not look at the "super cool, neato logo". There will be some that protest. But the better schedules will bring in even more people for football and basketball, while the Ralph will remain full as long as they are winning.

Ok, I will bite. What?

Also for the tenth time, "happon" is spelled HAPPEN!!!