SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I'm getting an absolute kick out of some Gopher fans on USCHO saying they(Minnesota) won't be visiting UND because of this new league.

If the UMTC brass doesn't schedule us because of it, it is their loss as well. They'll be just as hurt by UND not visiting the Mooch. I find it amusing because any way you spin it, Minnesota and Wisconsin left for greener pastures($$$) as well. Even if Minnesota was reluctant(you know Wisconsin officials weren't).

Disclaimer: I can say that not all Gopher fans are being high and sanctimonious pricks just some, mainly Gopher fans who post on USCHO.

As for the other Big Ten teams playing UND in Grand Forks. I seriously doubt they would've played us in Grand Forks even if we remained in the WCHA. I don't know what Wisconsin will do in regards to the UND-Wisconsin series but I wouldn't be surprised if they killed the rivalry and regular games between the two. However, Wisconsin officials would be hypocrites to not play us on the basis of us leaving to form a new conference/opportunities when that is the sole reason they left the WCHA.

I'm getting an absolute kick out of some Gopher fans on USCHO saying they(Minnesota) won't be visiting UND because of this new league.

If the UMTC brass doesn't schedule us because of it, it is their loss as well. They'll be just as hurt by UND not visiting the Mooch. I find it amusing because any way you spin it, Minnesota and Wisconsin left for greener pastures($$$) as well. Even if Minnesota was reluctant(you know Wisconsin officials weren't).

Disclaimer: I can say that not all Gopher fans are being high and sanctimonious pricks just some, mainly Gopher fans who post on USCHO.

As for the other Big Ten teams playing UND in Grand Forks. I seriously doubt they would've played us in Grand Forks even if we remained in the WCHA. I don't know what Wisconsin will do in regards to the UND-Wisconsin series but I wouldn't be surprised if they killed the rivalry and regular games between the two. However, Wisconsin officials would be hypocrites to not play us on the basis of us leaving to form a new conference/opportunities when that is the sole reason they left the WCHA.

I don't think they'd be visiting UND with or without the new league. Don't they have some sort of unwritten rule about only playing cupcake nonconference opponents at home and not traveling for nonconference road games? And Wisconsin won't be playing us with our current nickname state once they join the Big 10.

IMO, this move was something that had to be done once the Big Ten happened. Changes were coming. We couldn't just stay put and do nothing. Being reactive just comes back to bite you in the butt. I'm glad we were proactive, unlike the WCHA administration.

On a side note to a previous comment, Hammy is a d-bag and his self-righteous, holier than thou, know-it-all attitude gets on my last nerve. If I felt like getting into a petty, twitter argument with him, I would, but I have more important things to worry about than that.

Andy Baggot says .... Don’t blame Big Ten for college hockey’s upheaval

Word that a renegade faction is now trying to start its own eight-team league sends many messages, but one is deafening. The idea that Denver, Colorado College, North Dakota and defending NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth would prefer to start their own brand instead of sticking with one that’s been around since 1959 — claiming 37 national titles in the process — is a clear indictment of the WCHA and the suspect management style of its commissioner, Bruce McLeod.

It also suggests that if you must assign blame in this summer of volcanic activity in men’s college hockey, you best keep your options open.

Which idiom should we use...

...Pot calling the kettle black?

...People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?

...What's good for the goose is good for the gander?

I laugh at the Gophers holier than thou attitude, if the roles were reversed they would be looking at the very same options.

What also makes me laugh is their delusion that UND needs them on the schedule every year...they don't. Teams would be falling over themselves trying to get UND on their schedule if Minnesota gave up their series. Honestly with their level of play the last 3 or 4 years you could make the argument that we could find better OOC opponents from the East than Minnesota...although I for one would really miss kicking their ass in the Ralph on a regular basis.

If in fact that North Dakota was spear-heading this idea, or at least one of the leaders throughout it, I'd like to give kudos to our A.D. Brian Faison and our President Robert Kelley. First the the Big Sky Conference, now the hockey "super conference". Their foresight deserves acknowledgement.............

Well said Bin. +1. I couldn't agree more. I know some think that these two don't care about whats in UND's best interest, especially regarding one certain issue, but with them getting us into two great conferences (3 if you include women's swimming to the WAC) and the schedules that Faison has been able to put together for other sports they have been more proactive for UND athletics than the last 2 AD's we've had at UND combined. They are putting out teams in spots where we can be competitive and more importantly they understand the importance of television opportunities and how they can have a positive affect on the school as a whole.

For all of the whining from the Minnesota faithful, the fact of the matter is that college hockey does not have a lot of teams. So, the people who actually are responsible for these things and need to make the numbers work, namely ADs, presidents, etc., most of whom probably don't whine on message boards, will have no choice but to work out interconference schedules. IMHO, regardless of conference affiliations, people will pay to watch traditional rivals play. And as Sacred Heart can attest, almost any program has the potential to get into and possibly win the NC$$ tourney. Moreover, I don't think smaller programs like Bemidji or Tech should be thrown to the dogs and UND, et al. should make good faith efforts to schedule them regularly since it benefits all concerned about this sport.

Moreover, I don't think smaller programs like Bemidji or Tech should be thrown to the dogs and UND, et al. should make good faith efforts to schedule them regularly since it benefits all concerned about this sport.

UND has done that consistently in the past and I don't expect that philosophy to change.

In contrast, Minnesota's first ever trip to BSU was the past season.

False. 10/14/2000. @ BSU. MN 9, BSU 3.

I was just repeating what Anthony LaPantzme said during his broadcasts this past season.

One trip. Oh boy. Check UND playing BSU (home or road) during the same past 11 years. Then tell me who's doing more to help young programs.

The remnants of the WCHA and CCHA are set up fairly well to create their own conference and align it with east and west divisions for ease of scheduling and travel. Add in UAH to boot. And that group won't be as intimidating to a start-up as say the current WCHA but will still have some credibility for calibre of hockey.

Assuming the new conference is UND, DU, CC, UNO, UMD, MoOH, NDU, and WMU what is left is:

HRC (Hockey Remnants Conference):

West - SCSU, MSU-M, BSU, UAA, UAF, (new team here, say MSU-Moorhead)

East - BGSU, FSU, NMU, MTU, LSSU, UAH

This group is set perfectly to try to get schools to add hockey and split into two separate conferences later. Lindenwood in the west. Who knows, maybe another MAC school in the east.

Everything was fine as it was but the arrogance of the B10 schools started the present domino effect. Silver lining: UAH finally gets into a conference and saves its program and alumni of struggling programs step up to assist their schools.

Im so tired of hearing about the "arrogance" of the B10. Playing the same schools in hockey that we do in EVERY other sport on our campus is not arrogant. In fact to me it sounds quite reasonable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was just repeating what Anthony LaPantzme said during his broadcasts this past season.

One trip. Oh boy. Check UND playing BSU (home or road) during the same past 11 years. Then tell me who's doing more to help young programs.

That's fine, you can have your opinion regarding who's helped Bemidji more and you probably have evidence on your side.....just saying that it's incorrect that Minnesota had never visited Bemidji before this past March.

New name for Super Conference:

Super 8,

The Super

S 8

Siouxper 8 - No need to pay royalties to Super 8

Developing.........

How about the Big 8. I don't think there would be any trademark problems since the Big 8 became the Big 12.

There are rumors floating around on USCHO.com that the new league is negotiating with Versus for a tv contract.

Also reports that Western Michigan is now out of the picture...

Did anybody really think Western Michigan had the budget to be flying all over the country for their games?

I find it amusing to read Goofy fans proposing what is essentially a boycott of the new conference. Weren't these the same buffoons who, after the BTHC was announced, said the Goofs should only schedule MN OOC games? The way they keep talking out of both sides of their mouths', it's a wonder they can keep their teeth from falling out!

I find it amusing to read Goofy fans proposing what is essentially a boycott of the new conference. Weren't these the same buffoons who, after the BTHC was announced, said the Goofs should only schedule MN OOC games? The way they keep talking out of both sides of their mouths', it's a wonder they can keep their teeth from falling out!

At least our fans have all our teeth.

I second that ...

I think it all depends on what Notre Dame does. If they end up in the new league, they will have a lot of say in who the other school will be. If Notre Dame goes east, the new conference may stick with 6 teams or invite two more Minnesota schools or possibly an Alaska school and a Minnesota school. It will be interesting to see what happens once Notre Dame makes their decision...