SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

I think you missed from about here to present in the Big Ten Hockey Conference thread.

I'd say it deserves to have its own thread now that it is pending reality. :)

Anyways, out of all this the one school I feel bad for the most is Bemidji State University. They basically had to cut off an arm and a leg to get into the WCHA and now it is falling apart. I see a soured UND-BSU friendship happening because of this.

I'd say it deserves to have its own thread now that it is pending reality. :)

Anyways, out of all this the one school I feel bad for the most is Bemidji State University. They basically had to cut off an arm and a leg to get into the WCHA and now it is falling apart. I see a soured UND-BSU friendship happening because of this.

I do, too. They have proven themselves to be a very good program in their short career. I hope it doesn't sour our relationship and we can still add them to our schedule.

I understand the 8 teams mentioned, but why not grow to Ten... Include Air Force, and eitehr SCSU or Bemidji... then let UAB join the remaining 9 in the defunk WCCHA....

Air Force has a good program and has shown that they want to increast the number of scholarship players to the NCAA 18 from their current confrence strangle hold of 12.

Bemidji worked so hard to get into the WCHA, and they have a great program and awsome areana... SCSU, i dont really give a !@#$ about but that would be the other logical choice in my eyes.

Esox

I understand the 8 teams mentioned, but why not grow to Ten... Include Air Force, and eitehr SCSU or Bemidji... then let UAB join the remaining 9 in the defunk WCCHA....

Air Force has a good program and has shown that they want to increast the number of scholarship players to the NCAA 18 from their current confrence strangle hold of 12.

Bemidji worked so hard to get into the WCHA, and they have a great program and awsome areana... SCSU, i dont really give a !@#$ about but that would be the other logical choice in my eyes.

Esox

I don't think Air Force would even consider it, they've repeatedly said they like being in the AHA and want to remain there. Also, I think with Army being in the AHA as well is also a factor into Air Force being content with where they are at conference-wise.

I do, too. They have proven themselves to be a very good program in their short career. I hope it doesn't sour our relationship and we can still add them to our schedule.

They had nowhere to go after their conference disbanded, and UND helped them get into a very good conference. I don't think Bemidji State would effectively blackball UND when the Sioux were one of the constants in scheduling Bemidji before they came into the WCHA. Besides, it's just like us with Minnesota, we aren't happy they are leaving, but they still are a huge draw when they come to town. Just like when NDSU left the NCC, a series of events follows, which forces schools to look at what is in their best interest. I for one am happy that UND was proactive after Wisconsin and Minnesota left, rather than being reactive until their hand was forced after NDSU left.

• Upvote 1

Esox

Is it because with 8 teams you get to play each team home and away every year?

Hammy is saying this is all UND's fault. Minnesota was forced into the Big Ten! The guy has no credibility at all. Ryan Cardinal has credibility. Hammy is saying now that Minnesota should only play teams that didn't break up the WCHA like SCSU, Mankato and Bemidji. Do you mean the same Bemidji that you never had time for before they were in the WCHA. Wow! I guess you weren't into growing college hockey in your own state with Bemidji State. Oh and isn't it Minnesota fans who make it seem like the end of the world if they lose to a crummy team like Mankato State? Yet they think UND should stay in that conference and play the leftovers. I think everybody agrees that the Old WCHA was the place to be, and I can guarantee you that UND would still be in it if Minnesota and Wisconsin wouldn't have left. Conspicuously missing at fault here is the NCAA. They can get involved in a Nickname issue, but when the well being of a fringe sport is on the line from a Big Ten conference, they sit on their hands. Of course we know the NCAA is all about money, so why should they expect anything else from their institutions. Maybe Hammy and other gopher fans are not in the loop about history at UND, but the last time they sat on their hands, they lost a rival that actually rivals Minnesota in many respects, and that still has not been resolved in the second most important sport at UND. If UND leadership can equate sitting on their hands and thinking everything was going to be o.k. in Division 2, to sitting on their hands and losing ground on our rivals in the most important sport, then it truly was a no-brainer to get ahead of the game this time around. One could have only wished that the Big Ten told Minnesota and Wisconsin to jump off a bridge -- and likely according to some of their fans, they'd have done it.

Thought this comment was entertaining.

my hat is off to Bruce Macleod and the WCHA. and to Minnesota for all the work they've done over the years to foster college hockey. nurturing the small schools and growing the sport was the thing. in the eyes of DU and UND $$$$ is the thing.

I understand that the fans of teams left out of the super league are upset, but to act like Minnesota is a savior while UND and DU are devils in disguise is just plain ridiculous.

I understand that the fans of teams left out of the super league are upset, but to act like Minnesota is a savior while UND and DU are devils in disguise is just plain ridiculous.

Well, one could point out that UofM had no choice in its move from the WCHA, while from the sounds of it UND is leading the charge in its own departure.

Just sayin'

Thought this comment was entertaining.

Good grief, what were we suppose to do when the BTH conference was started; for capital gain most likely? Sit back on our laurels and watch the world roll on without us? I have no problem agreeing money was a very likely factor in this move. Hockey is a very expensive program to have and it would be ridiculous to say money didn't enter into the equation. We were likely to lose revenue without the Goofs (no matter that they have sucked big time the last five years) and the Badgers. We have to look our for ourselves because, sure as heck, no one else is going to do it.

Talk about a power conference (at least as of now)! All the proposed teams made the NCAA tourney last year, three went to the Frozen Four.

The Big 10 only had one team in the tourney...at least their one team made the title game, unfortunately at UND's expense.

Talk about a power conference (at least as of now)! All the proposed teams made the NCAA tourney last year, three went to the Frozen Four.

The Big 10 only had one team in the tourney...at least their one team made the title game.

This is truly an exciting change for hockey! Great hockey will continue in the new conference. Probably because I am a true, bleeding green and white homer, but I see Big Ten hockey as a big yawn for the next few years.

Well, one could point out that UofM had no choice in its move from the WCHA, while from the sounds of it UND is leading the charge in its own departure.

Just sayin'

So basically we are doing what NDSU did. Hmmm, kind of like the direction that has taken.

• Downvote 1

You have to be pragmatic given what has happened. This is not charity. We are out to:

1. Win National Championships

2. Recruit and Develop NHL talent so we can accomplish 1

3. Do 2 and 1 in order to continue a culture of winning and a tradition of excellence

4. Do 3 in order to appease alumni and make $

We made the best move we could for SIoux hockey.

SIoux hockey was a power before MSU, BSU, and SCSU were D1.