SiouxSports.com Forum

Volleyball Recruiting

GeauxSioux

• 4 months later...

Found a Breck team photo with Jaila, probably from her soph. year. She is #2, sitting down in the front row, first player from left to right. She definitely looks the part from what I can tell. Link is below:

http://www.mshsl.org...m=423&school=62

While looking at a 2014 Minnesota HS first-team volleyball list of players, I came across Jaila's name and decided to search for her.  She's playing with Virginia Tech, and hitting .256 as a freshman.  Too bad we didn't get her here!  Courtney Place is also on that list.  Glad we got her here!

Edited by Dustin

While looking at a 2014 Minnesota HS first-team volleyball list of players, I came across Jaila's name and decided to search for her.  She's playing with Virginia Tech, and hitting .256 as a freshman.  Too bad we didn't get her here!  Courtney Place is also on that list.  Glad we got her here!

Amelia Johnson was honorable mention, which is how I found the list in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

Three signees were announced today: Ashley Brueggeman from Eden Prairie, Roseau's Amelia Johnson and Stephanie Ziegler from Hazen.

Chloe Dousette, a 6'2” OH from Cretin-Derham Hall had supposedly committed.  Anyone know what happened with her?

An article said she signed with Omaha

Somewhere in this forum I stated that schools that start beach volleyball get six more scholarships.  That's only true if they don't have court volleyball.  Starting a beach team in addition to a court team gains a volleyball program three more scholarrships.

Sac St has been coming on in large part because of those scholarships and because California players often like the option  of playing both.

Still think UND will have to offer both if they want to stay competitive in conference.

Somewhere in this forum I stated that schools that start beach volleyball get six more scholarships.  That's only true if they don't have court volleyball.  Starting a beach team in addition to a court team gains a volleyball program three more scholarrships.

Sac St has been coming on in large part because of those scholarships and because California players often like the option  of playing both.

Still think UND will have to offer both if they want to stay competitive in conference.

I don't know if we can really offer beach volleyball. We shouldn't be looking to open up any more sports at the moment. Why wouldn't FCOA work for us? I don't believe other BSC schools are gonna use it. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if we can really offer beach volleyball. We shouldn't be looking to open up any more sports at the moment. Why wouldn't FCOA work for us? I don't believe other BSC schools are gonna use it. 

I would bet that an FBS Big Sky would mandate beach volleyball.  Montana and MSU need women's sports for FBS and the Calif schools already have it.  The court game would have 3 more schollies and more overall playing and practice time. 

The Montana schools would still need more female athletes, but MSU could start women's lax and play in the MPSF.

I LOVE beach volleyball (the official title, even if you don't have a beach). However, I really don't see UND adding it anytime soon. They would have to have an indoor facility for year around practice, and likely an outdoor facility for matches. It's also likely another coach, probably part-time sand and part-time indoors, would need to be hired. And the courts are expensive. We're not talking about Bringewatt Park. Expensive sand, and lots of it. Nets, standards, barriers, fencing, sand volleyballs; there is a lot to it and I believe the specific requirements are mandated by the NCAA. Add in travel; no one currently playing beach is close, and we don't drive anywhere now (other than NDSU every other year).

At higher levels the skills are pretty different as well. There's no offense to speak of in 2's, the serving team decides the hitter and the setter. Beach is AWESOME for all-around basic skills, but won't help a lot addressing specific needs of the indoor players. Just for starters, hitting timing is different, hitters get really good at shooting the ball (rolling, knuckling the ball) and not always attacking, blocking timing is different, goals of the block are different, what's considered a good pass is different, setters don't worry about deception, match-ups and who's hot - the serving team picks the passer/hitter and the other player is the setter. Just for starers...

Again, I'd LOVE to see beach volleyball at UND, but I don't think it's the magic bullet that will make all the difference. 

FCOA was mentioned. It's an interesting idea, kind of like nuclear proliferation. You have it so we need it or vice-versa. It becomes a wash for the financial haves and a wash for the financial have-nots. The haves just want to create a little more space between them and the have-nots in a way that they can't seem to do with non-financial means.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, undVBfan said:

I LOVE beach volleyball (the official title, even if you don't have a beach). However, I really don't see UND adding it anytime soon. They would have to have an indoor facility for year around practice, and likely an outdoor facility for matches. It's also likely another coach, probably part-time sand and part-time indoors, would need to be hired. And the courts are expensive. We're not talking about Bringewatt Park. Expensive sand, and lots of it. Nets, standards, barriers, fencing, sand volleyballs; there is a lot to it and I believe the specific requirements are mandated by the NCAA. Add in travel; no one currently playing beach is close, and we don't drive anywhere now (other than NDSU every other year).

At higher levels the skills are pretty different as well. There's no offense to speak of in 2's, the serving team decides the hitter and the setter. Beach is AWESOME for all-around basic skills, but won't help a lot addressing specific needs of the indoor players. Just for starters, hitting timing is different, hitters get really good at shooting the ball (rolling, knuckling the ball) and not always attacking, blocking timing is different, goals of the block are different, what's considered a good pass is different, setters don't worry about deception, match-ups and who's hot - the serving team picks the passer/hitter and the other player is the setter. Just for starers...

Again, I'd LOVE to see beach volleyball at UND, but I don't think it's the magic bullet that will make all the difference. 

FCOA was mentioned. It's an interesting idea, kind of like nuclear proliferation. You have it so we need it or vice-versa. It becomes a wash for the financial haves and a wash for the financial have-nots. The haves just want to create a little more space between them and the have-nots in a way that they can't seem to do with non-financial means.

Nebraska has beach volleyball, uses the same HC, never plays a home game ever, and travels to Arizona and Hawaii for extended trips.  The Cornhuskers get three extra scholarships from the deal, giving them more depth on the court roster.  Understanding that there is some major differences in the games, but it still creates depth and experience.  Sac St has remarked that beach energized their court game, as they were a sleeping program for a few seasons.  Beach may help the court game, especially with depth and experience, as Nebraska and Sac St show.  It may be that a school has to have a beach team just to stay competive in court.

• 3 months later...

Volleyball announcing signings on twitter. @UNDvolleyball

First - Jordan Vail, 6'1" MH from San Antonio, transfer from Baylor.  Played a fair amount as a freshman last year.

Had good stats for Baylor last year and was a highly ranked recruit out of high school.  Committed in the fall of 2013 (as a HS junior) when Pryor was recruiting coordinator there. 

Second is Tamara Merseli, 5'10" OH from Serbia.  Most recently was at Indian Hills CC in Iowa, where she was a NJCAA DI 2nd team All-American.

Third is Teodora Tepavac, 5'10" OH from Serbia.  Most recently was at Northwest College in Wyoming, where she was a NJCAA DI 1st team All-American.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it needs its own thread, but to piggy back the beach volleyball discussion...

The NCAA tournament semifnals are airng on TruTV right now.  I didn't realize that it is run similar to tennis and like 7 different matches are played between the 2 schools.

On 12/17/2015 at 2:06 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Nebraska has beach volleyball, uses the same HC, never plays a home game ever, and travels to Arizona and Hawaii for extended trips.  The Cornhuskers get three extra scholarships from the deal, giving them more depth on the court roster.  Understanding that there is some major differences in the games, but it still creates depth and experience.  Sac St has remarked that beach energized their court game, as they were a sleeping program for a few seasons.  Beach may help the court game, especially with depth and experience, as Nebraska and Sac St show.  It may be that a school has to have a beach team just to stay competive in court.

Nebraska had an interesting schedule. Basically it was 10 or so days - two consecutive weekends, I suspect (hope) surrounding their Spring Break. They basically had a trip to Hawaii, played four days, flew to California, played 3 days and ended the season. 

I'm not sure that Nebraska used those three scholarships. Right now players with a beach scholarship cannot play on the indoor team. Indoor players can play beach. So it looks like they are taking steps to ensure that it doesn't turn out to be 3 more unofficial indoor scholarships. I'm sure some schools are figuring out how to work the system to gain scholarships, maybe it could be a nice place to put a indoor red-shirt for a year, but it seems like it shouldn't directly effect the indoor team roster too much. And in Nebraska's case, a very quick glance only showed only one beach player that wasn't on the indoor team, and she graduated from high school at Christmas and is a first semester freshman this spring. So I suppose this would be a good opportunity to give a scholarship away to one of next years players this spring and summer.

Don't get the wrong impression, the beach rides would be nice, if the U had the money. And I love the beach game. Any time spent touching the ball will help, and the beach is all about ball control. However, even if they could find the money, I'm not sure the climate would be right on campus to add a sport. It's a nice idea, but I don't think they can justify the expense (what would it cost to truck 225 tons of good sand into a new facility?).

• 4 months later...

Anyone know if coaches were at EGF-Detroit Lakes match other night?  DL went 6-3, 6-2, 6-1, (I think another 6-1) and 6-0?  6-3 girl is sophomore and project, but other sophomore is 6 feet and can leap.  I don't see many D 1 players jump the way that girl can and other outside 6 foot something hitter was no different.  I think she was a junior.  Doppler and Gunderson were the names IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jjensen said:

Lexi Ahrens from Virginia, MN, Isabella Ashburn from Minnesota, and Taliyah Flores from Papillion, NE on campus yesterday

Pryor is actively looking at underclassmen.  Ahrens is an '18, 6'1", MH from Virginia, MN - she has committed.  Had offers from UNI & UMD.

Ashburn and Flores are '19s.  Ashburn is a 5'9" setter from Champlin Park and Flores is an OH from Papillion, NE.  

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 9:47 PM, UND1983 said:

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 9:34 PM, UND Fan said:

Three signees were announced today: Ashley Brueggeman from Eden Prairie, Roseau's Amelia Johnson and Stephanie Ziegler from Hazen.

Chloe Dousette, a 6'2” OH from Cretin-Derham Hall had supposedly committed.  Anyone know what happened with her?

An article said she signed with Omaha

It looks like we lost a good one in Dousette....

OMAHA, Neb.—Chloe Dousette connected for 20 kills and Omaha had 13 service aces as the Mavericks defeated North Dakota State 3-2 (21-25, 25-22, 25-20, 17-25, 15-9) in a Summit League volleyball match played Sunday, Oct. 16, at Sapp Fieldhouse.