SiouxSports.com Forum

What Needs to Happen

GeauxSioux

First I want to say that I am will be sad when the Fighting Sioux name is goine. My dad played BB for UND, I have been a Fighting Sioux fan since the '60's. As a fan of the University of North Dakota, I don't want the athletic department and for that matter the entire university dragged through the mud and slime for years to come. The Big Sky has threatened to not allow membership, Minnesota and Wisconsin will not play UND, and others will follow. UND would likely be an independent and stuck on an island in the arctic. Sica use of the word pariah, will be pretty accurate.

There is an SBoHE this meeting this Thursday in Minot. Action needs to be taken.

Jon Backes (current Board president) and Grant Shaft (Board president July 1st) are both UND law school graduates and I'm sure will get this moving, with all that has transpired in the past few days.

The SBoHE needs to take control of the nickname issue back from the legislature. Constitutionally, it IS theirs to control. They need to advise Dalrymple and Stenehjem of their intent, so they are not blindsided (I doubt that they would be, but courtesy would dictate advising).

The SBoHE then directs UND to retire the name. UND will follow direction as stipulated by the SBoHE, as UND is under their authority.

Yes, this likely head to court, but better sooner than later.

What won't happen?? The NCAA is not going to change their mind. They are not going to allow a law passed after a settlement agreement was made to force them to change their mind. It won't stand up legally, so they have no reason to back down. They will continue to point to the settlement and say they are done with the issue and impose sanctions, should UND maintain use of the Fighting Sioux name.

I am a fan of the University of North Dakota and will always be, no matter what the nickname is.

• Upvote 3

First I want to say that I am will be sad when the Fighting Sioux name is goine. My dad played BB for UND, I have been a Fighting Sioux fan since the '60's. As a fan of the University of North Dakota, I don't want the athletic department and for that matter the entire university dragged through the mud and slime for years to come. The Big Sky has threatened to not allow membership, Minnesota and Wisconsin will not play UND, and others will follow. UND would likely be an independent and stuck on an island in the arctic. Sica use of the word pariah, will be pretty accurate.

There is an SBoHE this meeting this Thursday in Minot. Action needs to be taken.

Jon Backes (current Board president) and Grant Shaft (Board president July 1st) are both UND law school graduates and I'm sure will get this moving, with all that has transpired in the past few days.

The SBoHE needs to take control of the nickname issue back from the legislature. Constitutionally, it IS theirs to control. They need to advise Dalrymple and Stenehjem of their intent, so they are not blindsided (I doubt that they would be, but courtesy would dictate advising).

The SBoHE then directs UND to retire the name. UND will follow direction as stipulated by the SBoHE, as UND is under their authority.

What won't happen?? The NCAA is not going to change their mind. They are not going to allow a law passed after a settlement agreement was made to force them to change their mind. It won't stand up legally, so they have no reason to back down. They will continue to point to the settlement and say they are done with the issue and impose sanctions, should UND maintain use of the Fighting Sioux name.

I am a fan of the University of North Dakota and will always be, no matter what the nickname is.

I agree. This issue needs to go away and UND and fans need to move on. I love the name and the school, but far too many resources and time have been devoted to fighting this battle. Right or wrong, the issue itself is hurting the University and could get worse. Change the name ASAP. If the Big Sky drops UND you can kiss athletics at UND goodbye along with a lot of alumni support including mine.

I agree with your post. But I am wondering this: UND (Kelley) decides to start nickname retirement now...August 1st, 2011 comes and the state law comes into effect. Could the state sue UND and NOT the NCAA if Kelley refuses to accept the Sioux nickname to be re-instated? IMO I am for the retirement as painful and sickening it is to say that I think its for the best only to remain in the Big Sky and to say away from IndependentVille. UND is not just hockey (which could be damaging if the WCHA follows the Big Sky and boots UND out ) (even though UND won the 1959 NCAA title as an Independent). UND is hockey, football, basketball, baseball, track and field, swimming and diving, volleyball, etc. The Fighting Sioux name will live forever even through retirement. I still consider myself a West School Warrior, Valley Jr. High Warrior, and GFC Redskin (along with the Maroon and Grey). The Sioux are within all its fans, and when we show up years from now in our Sioux gear (hey new nickname jersey and Sioux hat) the name will never die! Long live the Fighting Sioux, but remember we NEED the Big Sky.

I don't think that Kelly nor the SBoHE will go against state law. Kelly will carry out the orders from the SBoHE, but I think the track record shows on this issue, that when the SBoHE decides the course, that's when Kelly has begun implenting that course of action. I think the same will be true in this instance. I think that we will have the name this year, the question will be how will the legislature & the State Board- go through the motions in the next 6 to 8 months. What will they do during that period will be of interest? Who knows it may take a while to get through the everything with the name.

On a side note, it's too bad about the Iowa basketball game. That would have been awesome- It certainly would have sold out the Betty- they certainly would have been able to put about 5 to 6,000 into the Ralph if they wanted, because the whole city of Crookston would have wanted tix for that one, because it would have meant the return of Kamille Wahlin. That would have been fun to see. And people, I'm not blaming it on our having the nickname either-- clearly, Iowa has the problem(but this is going to get old, if this continues to happen, so when does it become OUR PROBLEM?)- but it's just too bad is all.

I agree that this is the best course of action at this point.

I agree, good post.

Christopher Gabriel show goes from 11am-2pm and I have been listening since about 11:10 so if he was on right at 11 I missed it or else so far he hasn't been on.

Starting the talk about the nickname now. Faison will be on at the top of the hour...

Some caller just said he would bet money that UND prevents people to wear Sioux gear on campus and at games....I need to bet with this guy.......And take his money. Kelley already said they are NOT going to do that. What an idiot.

Some caller just said he would bet money that UND prevents people to wear Sioux gear on campus and at games....I need to bet with this guy.......And take his money. Kelley already said they are NOT going to do that. What an idiot.

I must of missed that caller, I heard a caller (Kent I believe was his name) state the opposite, that changing the name isn't going to stop students from wearing Sioux gear or using "Sioux" chants at events.

So far nothing new or earthshattering to report. Faison will be on in a couple of minutes, if I'm able to listen, I will try to give some updates...

Have the Govenor & Lt Gov. Meet with Spirit Lake Officials & work out the details of changing name to Spirit Lake Sioux - then it's a done deal

Should be folks from the SBOHE there too & UND but they have lost respect / trust from so many - That's why the State had to step in

So simple - but no the Kelly crew wants it gone & is now playing their cards in a final - all in - poker game

Have the Govenor & Lt Gov. Meet with Spirit Lake Officials & work out the details of changing name to Spirit Lake Sioux - then it's a done deal

Done deal??

Doesn't the new state law which is implemented on August 1st say that UND will be the "Fighting Sioux"?

Will the NCAA take UND off the H&A list with Spirit Lake Sioux? Highly doubtful.

Faison: Priority one is a face to face meeting with the NCAA to see where we are going.

Not much new that hasn't already been stated. Faison says he's pretty confident on what the NCAA's position will be, but he wants that meeting to take place before moving ahead.

I love the nickname and see nothing wrong with it. But, even with the tribes blessing it will be an ongoing controversy with a constant whining from PC liberal crybabies. If there is one positive to dropping the nickname besides Big Sky play it would be not having to hear the non-sense these overly sensitive whack jobs spew out on a daily basis.

I agree with your assessment except I certainly hope it doesn't go to court. At this point, I do not think the people of ND (along with its leadership) would agree to spend taxpayer $ to defend the name in court when it appears that it will only harm UND's athletic teams.

I have e-mailed every member of the SBoHE, the legislature, the AG and the governor today asking them to do whatever is necessary to solve this problem immediately. I realize that this will be difficult with the legislature adjourned but they (everyone) needs to address this now. We need to get this behind us and move forward so the athletic department (and us fans) can focus on the Big Sky, a new practice facility and our program in general. We are not making any progress while the debate continues to rage.

It is interesting that I am quite quickly hearing back from legislative members who voted against the bill because of their concern that it may backfire - they were right.

I would recommend others contact these parties and ask for their prompt action.

Don't know why this all of a sudden came up, when the law was passed a while ago. Makes me wonder if Douple was telling the truth that Kelley instigated the nickname fiasco with the Summit and maybe he chose to do the same with the Big Sky! However this came to being, I think the hay is in the barn now.

Don't know why this all of a sudden came up, when the law was passed a while ago. Makes me wonder if Douple was telling the truth that Kelley instigated the nickname fiasco with the Summit and maybe he chose to do the same with the Big Sky! However this came to being, I think the hay is in the barn now.

I also thought the same thing myself when I saw the head line in the Saturday paper.

They did send out a letter early this year when the bill was going through legislature saying that they would be watching and were concerned about the outcome. THey probably waited for the Big Sky meeting to talk about it officially and I'm sure Kelly did little to justify the continuos use of the sioux logo. There are even rumors circulating that the new men's and women's hockey jersey will be void of the logo and will simply say North Dakota on the front.

They did send out a letter early this year when the bill was going through legislature saying that they would be watching and were concerned about the outcome. THey probably waited for the Big Sky meeting to talk about it officially and I'm sure Kelly did little to justify the continuos use of the sioux logo. There are even rumors circulating that the new men's and women's hockey jersey will be void of the logo and will simply say North Dakota on the front.

Schlossman had mentioned in a chat that there was a playoff jersey design in the works with no logo. However, the regular season jersey would be unchanged.