SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I don't know......if UND became the roughriders that would kind of be like a high school in South Bend, Indiana becoming the fighting Irish.....

Lets let Red River, a school with tons of tradition keep the name they've had. And by gosh....would it cause a bunch of confusion...."Hey, did you hear what those roughriders did the other night"?

I do not think people are going to be confused by the name, only if they went to NDSU would they get confused. Having lived in Iowa for three years and just finally escaping. It seems like half the team down there are the Hawks the Little Hawks or even the Co hawks. It will not be a problem.

Roughriders is our HS teams name & it should not even be considered - most names Suck especially Spirit cause I think UND Admin. liked it

Give us older folks 10 yrs to die or not know whats going on :silly:

Fighting Norse is the only one I could warm up too maybe Ducks or Pheasants :(

The Norsemen (Norse for short) has been my leader in the clubhouse for a long while. I really think I could get to like that one.

The Norsemen (Norse for short) has been my leader in the clubhouse for a long while. I really think I could get to like that one.

I went to a High School in Denver that was the Norsemen, as a Norwegian I do not like that name is abusive to my people.

Nevermind I would be honored!!!

I went to a High School in Denver that was the Norsemen, as a Norwegian I do not like that name is abusive to my people.

Nevermind I would be honored!!!

Completely agree. As an individual with a lot of Norwegian blood flowing in my veins it would be an absolute honor to have my heritage remembered in this way. In fact I would love it to be the Fighting Norse....but then again you may as well just call them the Vikings... :blush:

Would the NCAA let us change our name to either the Sioux or the Spirit Lake Sioux if we get rid of the indian head logo and just used the ND logo? I don't see anything wrong with either of those because 1. the word fighting is gone so it's not a "violent" name, and 2. We don't have an "offensive logo" anymore. Of course it would hurt not to have the best logo anymore, and Sioux by itself isn't as good as Fighting Sioux, but that would be the closest we could get to keeping the name. If the NCAA wouldn't allow that we should have no nickname IMO.

No matter what the name ends up being, here is a jersey idea (at least for this season and until a new name is chosen). I do see it as one the administration will not push, because it does not kindle any hint of the passion the Bennet Brien logo does.

7227471.jpg?199

Personally, if we have to go without the logo on the jersey I would rather see the flame logo rather than the interlocking ND. I know that we have been using the interlocking logo way before Notre Dame but it is to closely affiliated with that institution and not ours. We deserve our own identity, something no other institution uses for that reason alone do I not like the idea of being the "Norse" or "Norsemen", plus I'm not sure it's worth the risk in the event that the NCAA one day decides that using any culture/heritage of people is hostile and abusive. I'm not sure what we will be called by this time next year but I can guarantee it will make my stomach turn.

No matter what the name ends up being, here is a jersey idea (at least for this season and until a new name is chosen). I do see it as one the administration will not push, because it does not kindle any hint of the passion the Bennet Brien logo does.

7227471.jpg?199

I like the concept. Looks pretty cool. If it was my choice (everyone will of course have opinions), I would go with North Dakota written out in cursive across the chest, or start with capital letters near the right shoulder that run down towards the left hip.

I like the concept. Looks pretty cool. If it was my choice (everyone will of course have opinions), I would go with North Dakota written out in cursive across the chest, or start with capital letters near the right shoulder that run down towards the left hip.

I wouldn't mind seeing our academic seal used as a secondary athletic logo while we are without a nickname. I know some schools use it on shoulders of hockey jerseys.

Would the NCAA let us change our name to either the Sioux or the Spirit Lake Sioux if we get rid of the indian head logo and just used the ND logo? I don't see anything wrong with either of those because 1. the word fighting is gone so it's not a "violent" name, and 2. We don't have an "offensive logo" anymore. Of course it would hurt not to have the best logo anymore, and Sioux by itself isn't as good as Fighting Sioux, but that would be the closest we could get to keeping the name. If the NCAA wouldn't allow that we should have no nickname IMO.

No chance they'd let us have "sioux" as part of the nickname.

I've had thoughts of "Lakers" or "Spirit Lakers" if one wants to honor those at Spirit Lake.

Nothing measures up to Fighting Sioux, but I'd certainly be willing to live with some of the alternatives presented in this thread.

I am in the camp of no nickname for a period of time. It is unlikely that most will like a name other than the Sioux, so why do it. At the very least take a few years to see how it goes not having a name. If after a few years , the masses feel that a name is needed, then do it then. My preferance would be to be known as "North Dakota". Here in Fargo, I see lots of people wearing the words North Dakota on t-shirts and sweatshirts. That is our identity . That is who w we are. There is a North Dakota and a North Dakota State .Who needs a mascot. My fear however, is that like the NCAA forced us to get rid of the logo, the school administration will force a new name upon us.

To Sioux fans:

We're not powerless here. All these names are inadequtae. I have no Norwegian blood, but really, does a Fighting Norseman strike anyone born after 1100 AD as especially fierce or brave? Hitler conquered Norway in weeks. I will hate every one of these names. We don't have to bend over and take it. We'll suck it up now, but everyone here can see the dishonesty and hyprocrisy of this decision. So, what can we do? Well, for one, everyone on this board must vow that they will never give one dime to UND. Don't buy the new name merchandise. Wear your Sioux jersey every day. Keep it alive. Convince your friends, families, and acquaitances to do the same. Tell them that money goes to a campus that has an organization called BRIDGES, which had a letter explaining the systematic Holocaust committed against the Natives penned by none other than Ward Churchill. (Ward Churchill's claims to fame: He is a white hippie college profressor who claimed he was indian. Then he summarily lost his honorary title in the tribe to which he belonged. He called 9/11 victims "Little Eichmann's." He was recently under review to be fired from Colorado University for plagarism and academic dishonesty.) The BRIDGES website also offered a teary-eyed testimonial by a UND Indian Studies profressor describing the horrible racism at UND hockey games. (Google UND BRIDGES and you can look at the whole thing. Last time I checked it, Ward Churchill had just gotten on the news for getting fired and that letter was conspiciously absent.) The testimonial made me wonder; had she ever been to a UND hockey game? I've been to many and I have yet to see any over-the-top stereotypical portrayals of Indians. Last time I checked, we don't even have an Indian on horseback like the Florida State Seminoles. I'm an NDSU graduate ( I know, but believe me, I will only ever be a Fighting Sioux fan and nothing else). I will never give one nickel to NDSU, because a lot of the that money goes to the same pot one way or the other. However, our dollars votes are the only power we have. Is it not blatantly obvious by now that when people want something they should be allowed to have a vote? Some of you will say this hurts the university. Yes, I want them to hurt. I want them to cut. I can think of one department they can cut immediately. Really, if UND does not call itself the Fighting Sioux, they aren't the the same UND that I followed religiously. We'll be just another hollowed-out, generic university. So, I say make them hurt. Hurt the school. Some day, when all these relics from the 1960s get old and can no longer fight or get sick of giggling to themselves how they didn't allow their own to vote, ruined all our tradition, and stole our name, we'll be ready. Let them see that the name in large part makes the university. If we just roll over now when all hope is lost, we don't deserve our tradition, or any tradition. Because we're not Fighting.

• Upvote 2

I am in the camp of no nickname for a period of time. It is unlikely that most will like a name other than the Sioux, so why do it. At the very least take a few years to see how it goes not having a name. If after a few years , the masses feel that a name is needed, then do it then. My preferance would be to be known as "North Dakota". Here in Fargo, I see lots of people wearing the words North Dakota on t-shirts and sweatshirts. That is our identity . That is who w we are. There is a North Dakota and a North Dakota State .Who needs a mascot. My fear however, is that like the NCAA forced us to get rid of the logo, the school administration will force a new name upon us.

I really like that Idea if UND can get away with it.

To Sioux fans:

We're not powerless here. All these names are inadequtae. I have no Norwegian blood, but really, does a Fighting Norseman strike anyone born after 1100 AD as especially fierce or brave? Hitler conquered Norway in weeks. I will hate every one of these names. We don't have to bend over and take it. We'll suck it up now, but everyone here can see the dishonesty and hyprocrisy of this decision. So, what can we do? Well, for one, everyone on this board must vow that they will never give one dime to UND. Don't buy the new name merchandise. Wear your Sioux jersey every day. Keep it alive. Convince your friends, families, and acquaitances to do the same. Tell them that money goes to a campus that has an organization called BRIDGES, which had a letter explaining the systematic Holocaust committed against the Natives penned by none other than Ward Churchill. (Ward Churchill's claims to fame: He is a white hippie college profressor who claimed he was indian. Then he summarily lost his honorary title in the tribe to which he belonged. He called 9/11 victims "Little Eichmann's." He was recently under review to be fired from Colorado University for plagarism and academic dishonesty.) The BRIDGES website also offered a teary-eyed testimonial by a UND Indian Studies profressor describing the horrible racism at UND hockey games. (Google UND BRIDGES and you can look at the whole thing. Last time I checked it, Ward Churchill had just gotten on the news for getting fired and that letter was conspiciously absent.) The testimonial made me wonder; had she ever been to a UND hockey game? I've been to many and I have yet to see any over-the-top stereotypical portrayals of Indians. Last time I checked, we don't even have an Indian on horseback like the Florida State Seminoles. I'm an NDSU graduate ( I know, but believe me, I will only ever be a Fighting Sioux fan and nothing else). I will never give one nickel to NDSU, because a lot of the that money goes to the same pot one way or the other. However, our dollars votes are the only power we have. Is it not blatantly obvious by now that when people want something they should be allowed to have a vote? Some of you will say this hurts the university. Yes, I want them to hurt. I want them to cut. I can think of one department they can cut immediately. Really, if UND does not call itself the Fighting Sioux, they aren't the the same UND that I followed religiously. We'll be just another hollowed-out, generic university. So, I say make them hurt. Hurt the school. Some day, when all these relics from the 1960s get old and can no longer fight or get sick of giggling to themselves how they didn't allow their own to vote, ruined all our tradition, and stole our name, we'll be ready. Let them see that the name in large part makes the university. If we just roll over now when all hope is lost, we don't deserve our tradition, or any tradition. Because we're not Fighting.

Why on Earth would I want to harm my own institution. UND is not just a sports team i follow it's a school I attended, it's a place that gave me opportunities I wouldn't have had other wise, and it's an important part of my resume. The more notoriety and prestige that UND gains the more impressive my resume becomes. What happened to UND is tragic but we must move on, and if all UND is to you is a sports team then go follow someone else.

On the Herald site one poster recommended the new name be "Sundogs" which is a cold weather phenomenon and would be a completely unique name with an interesting opportunity to create a cool logo.

I love the Fighting Sioux name but I think that we can't get away with simply no nickname so what do you guys think of this name/logo idea?

While I was in the camp of no nickname, just use North Dakota, there are problems with that. For one thing you can't register the name so you would have no control or exclusivity to it - except of course a new cool logo. Also it appears that NCAA will not allow the no nickname because they must have realized that no new nickname = Fighting Sioux by default.

Just like the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Minneapolis Lakers there is no reason why the Fighting Sioux name can't continue to be worn and preserved, but of course NCAA took care of scrubbing the logo from sight for good because they also said UND could not sell the rights to the logo to any other entity ...

I am hoping The RALPH can get some kind of historic preservation deal going perhaps through the state so the logo can remain a permanent part of the community. I did read that some on the UND Logo committee feel just the opposite they want the logo gone forever, so we can "move on".

On the Herald site one poster recommended the new name be "Sundogs" which is a cold weather phenomenon and would be a completely unique name with an interesting opportunity to create a cool logo.

I love the Fighting Sioux name but I think that we can't get away with simply no nickname so what do you guys think of this name/logo idea?

Just for the record B.R.I.D.G.E.S is the organization that in the past has promoted Sun Dogs for a replacement nickname.