SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

You accuse me of acting childish by giving you negative rep, but then you turn around and track down a post I made in the Sioux schedule thread and give me negative rep. :silly:

I gave you negative rep because you posted right after news broke about the outcome of the meeting with the NCAA. Given the content of your original post and the fact that your screen name is Bison related, I figured you were a Bison troll who came to laugh and rub it in.

What was the content of my original post? Where did I laugh and rub it in? Maybe you offended by my other idea - the pissed off Norwegians? I've been a member here for 7 years, was I supposed to change my name so you wouldn't be so sensitive about offering a few suggestions, since even the Governor has thrown in the towel? I used to live in Grand Forks and I have a lot of friends that attended college there. I also have immediate family that attended there. My name reflects where I went to school. I'm proud of it, but I'm even more proud to be a lifelong North Dakotan and I can speak intelligently on matters of both fine Universities without name calling or other trivial BS that goes on between the two schools. Those that can't, should get over it and move on with their lives. Back in the day it was cool, "yeah, we hate them because of..............(insert stupid reason here)" but it's just dumb now. My son is a sophomore at NDSU and he couldn't care less about the old rivalry. He thinks people that carry on with this type of behavior are being ridiculous. That's a lot more mature than some of the stuff I read on message boards, and he's an actual student. What kind of lesson are we teaching our children when we tell them to behave, but then act like hypocrites and start name calling people because they go to a certain University? By the way, you were wrong about me coming here to laugh and rub it in. I have more respect for the administrator here than that.

For me nothing can ever top the name Sioux, it will take me a long time to get over this. We were one of the select few schools whose nickname and monicker was unique to the institution. Out of all the names that have been suggested I like the "OutLaws", "Aviators" and "Roughnecks" (none of these names are in use). There is already two teams that are using the nickname "Spirit" (Salem College, Johnson Bible College). Interesting to note that nine teams use the name "Bison" so it's not very unique. Personally, I wouldn't mind just being the "University of North Dakota" but that it isn't likely to happen.

I hope there is no nickname for a few years other than North Dakota. GFC would be better off without a nickname because everybody says "Central" or "GFC." Nobody calls them the "Knights". This way it would make old guys like myself less bitter towards a school were we gave blind loyalty! I still feel let down and I understand why the name has to go but it is still WRONG in my opinion! PLEASE no nickname for awhile until the dust settles!! Nothing will ever compared to Fighting Sioux!!!!!!

It pretty obvious why the ncaa would require you to take a new nickname. If it did not, the old one would be assumed by most. and your problems with the ncaa would not go away. If a school never had a nickname in the first place, I'm sure the ncaa wouldn't care, but if you are forced to retire a nickname, the ncaa is going to insist on a replacement. That fact does not require further elaboration.

• Upvote 1

Rough Riders has a historic and national association with our state. People across the US would make a positive assocation to ND with Rough Riders. I can't think of a better name than that.

Other thoughts:

"Badlands", just "Badlands" . . . we were looking for a link to the west.

I think that the new nickname needs to be either Roughriders or Cavalry! Hands down the best ones out there. I think everyone should go look at the Cedar Rapids Roughriders website and look at their Roosevelt logo, it is their alternate logo but it is cool. Something similar would be a great logo.

Sioux forever!

I think that the new nickname needs to be either Roughriders or Cavalry! Hands down the best ones out there. I think everyone should go look at the Cedar Rapids Roughriders website and look at their Roosevelt logo, it is their alternate logo but it is cool. Something similar would be a great logo.

Sioux forever!

The Roosevelt logo is pretty sick! I don't like the Calvary nickname though, to many schools using that one.

Yes Calvary does have religious overtones, but Cavalry is Military. I realize it is easy to confuse them. But I still like it as a nickname.

And that is going to be the problem with Cavalry. Roughriders won't work either because people will get us confused with Red River.

Roughriders seems by far the favorite, and by far the best option put forward. Great ties to the state, and a part of state, national, and presidential history.

It's unique, so there won't be 10 other teams also called the "Eagles", and it's not some dumb generic name nobody can identify with like the Wild, the Freeze, etc. And I doubt Boston College is going to be all confused about whether to go play UND or a high school in the same town when they see Roughriders on the schedule, although the way Minnesota's been playing lately we could be kind and give them the option...

• Upvote 2

Roughriders is our HS teams name & it should not even be considered - most names Suck especially Spirit cause I think UND Admin. liked it

Give us older folks 10 yrs to die or not know whats going on :silly:

Fighting Norse is the only one I could warm up too maybe Ducks or Pheasants :(

I don't know......if UND became the roughriders that would kind of be like a high school in South Bend, Indiana becoming the fighting Irish.....

Lets let Red River, a school with tons of tradition keep the name they've had. And by gosh....would it cause a bunch of confusion...."Hey, did you hear what those roughriders did the other night"?