SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Has Freeze ever been mentioned ? They all suck but if not Norse than Freeze is OK or Cavalry - there is still hope only if enough folks wrote to the ncaa & Governor & they bring a strong contingent from Spirit Lake

Works for Western Illinois....If you are of the opinion that a woman cannot be a roughneck, I think you are being sexist and not very politically correct.. :lol:

Until 2009, Western Illinois called its men's teams the "Leathernecks" and the women the "Westerwinds". In 2009, the school unified the team nicknames to Leathernecks for both men's and women's teams.

http://www.goleathernecks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=62714&SPID=6882&DB_OEM_ID=12000&ATCLID=3746930

If you search on the internet, you'll find lots of current references to the women's teams at WIU called the Westerwinds but I think it was officially changed in 2009 as noted in the press release cited above.

UND alum living in SD here, first post.

How about the Spirit, for a new name? Could be the spirit of the Sioux, or of ND, of UND, or anything you want it to be....

There's been speculation that Spirit is one of the replacement nickname possibilities in play, although I personally don't care for it.

There's been speculation that Spirit is one of the replacement nickname possibilities in play, although I personally don't care for it.

I'm not crazy about the name Spirit. I kinda like the Aviators or Aves for short. The Cavs isn't bad and either is the Oilers. Nothing will ever beat the Fighting Sioux though :(

I also notice that some schools reserve different team nicknames for certain sports. For example Cal. State at Long Beach are the 49ers but their baseball team is called the Dirtbags (seriously). I wish there was a way for UND's men's hockey team to remain the Fighting Sioux and all other UND athletic teams be referred to as something else. I think the majority of nickname supporters could easily live with that.

USD (where I work, btw) went on record a few years ago in favor of UND's name change. Maybe UND should have a rotating name. When they play USD they could be the Coyotes. Against Minnesota, the Gophers, and so on. Hey, everybody piled on for the change, but sometimes you should be careful what you wish for.

I also notice that some schools reserve different team nicknames for certain sports. For example Cal. State at Long Beach are the 49ers but their baseball team is called the Dirtbags (seriously). I wish there was a way for UND's men's hockey team to remain the Fighting Sioux and all other UND athletic teams be referred to as something else. I think the majority of nickname supporters could easily live with that.

I have grown up wachting all sioux sports from volleyball to football, to basketball, and hockey. I would like to get rid of the sioux all together before I would slit the name. The athletic teams are one. Put different naames on each and you kill not only the mascot, but the college and its people as well. I would like all teams to be the sioux and wear sioux jerseys when they play past rivals. It would make sure the sioux never die.

Tossing another one out there. With UND Aerospace growing and UND joining the Big Sky....SkyChiefs.

I see that Syracuse has a minor league baseball team that used the name from 1997 to 2006 and then reverted back to Chiefs. Texaco has a brand of gas call Sky Chief, using two separate words.

I also had Air Chief in mind, but SkyChief sounds better. One of the top ranks in the Air Force was an Air Chief Marshal.

Tossing another one out there. With UND Aerospace growing and UND joining the Big Sky....SkyChiefs.

I see that Syracuse has a minor league baseball team that used the name from 1997 to 2006 and then reverted back to Chiefs. Texaco has a brand of gas call Sky Chief, using two separate words.

I also had Air Chief in mind, but SkyChief sounds better. One of the top ranks in the Air Force was an Air Chief Marshal.

Which reminds me of that Snickers commercial ... The North Dakota SkyChefs ... :D

I know some of you disagree with me, but have I ever told you that I don't think it's a good idea to choose a new nickname? :D

We are The University of North Dakota - The great state of North Dakota's flagship university.

Can you honestly imagine yelling anything other than "GO SIOUX" or "SIOUX" at an athletic event at UND?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roughnecks

Lady Roughnecks

Kelly Green

(market everything as the Green Machine)

Prairie Fire

The ICBM's

The Riverkeepers

The Flying Aces

The Homesteaders

Here are some honest ideas, thanks for the negative reps guys!! Way to act like an adult!

Personally I would go with Kelly Green. It's Simple and UND can use a Green Machine logo, like a bulldozer or something. You wouldn't have to change any colors or non Sioux things either. Or Roughnecks and Lady Roughnecks. Since the university represents the entire state and we are becoming known as oil rich hard working people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Roughnecks

Lady Roughnecks

Kelly Green

(market everything as the Green Machine)

Prairie Fire

The ICBM's

The Riverkeepers

The Flying Aces

The Homesteaders

Here are some honest ideas, thanks for the negative reps guys!! Way to act like an adult!

Personally I would go with Kelly Green. It's Simple and UND can use a Green Machine logo, like a bulldozer or something. You wouldn't have to change any colors or non Sioux things either. Or Roughnecks and Lady Roughnecks. Since the university represents the entire state and we are becoming known as oil rich hard working people.

You accuse me of acting childish by giving you negative rep, but then you turn around and track down a post I made in the Sioux schedule thread and give me negative rep. :silly:

I gave you negative rep because you posted right after news broke about the outcome of the meeting with the NCAA. Given the content of your original post and the fact that your screen name is Bison related, I figured you were a Bison troll who came to laugh and rub it in.

• Upvote 2