SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

When I think of the big-time Division I schools I don't think of their nicknames first and foremost, I think of the school name first. The nickname is usually an afterthought. I think that UND has been one of the few schools that markets their nickname first, which makes it all that much more heartbreaking to let it go if and when that time comes. But my point is that Michigan markets themselves as Michigan, the fact that their nickname is the Wolverines is secondary. How often do you see Michigan gear with a wolverine on it? Almost never, it's usually just that big yellow M. Same goes for most of the D1 schools that are big-time in the money making sports. Yeah, they have nicknames but they really don't even need them as they are rarely referred to in many cases. Now, you may be right that the higher ups will insist that we have a name... I'm just saying that it will not make it any easier to market our teams that way. If anything it'll make it more difficult. Without the Fighting Sioux name we can safely assume that sales of UND gear will decrease, but I think with a new name those sales would decrease even more so than if they went without a nickname. I would consider buying UND gear with the "ND" logo for a no-nickname team that we could still "unofficially" refer to as the Sioux, but I will NEVER EVER buy another piece of UND gear if and when any other nickname is attached to the hockey or football teams. I realize that I don't represent every Sioux fan, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way either.

I agree with this 100%, a few years back UND had the Force of the North thing going on and if they did something like that you could go this direction very easily. but my preference is to have no nickname or logo other than ND.

• Upvote 1

I agree with this 100%, a few years back UND had the Force of the North thing going on and if they did something like that you could go this direction very easily. but my preference is to have no nickname or logo other than ND.

Don't worry we will have a nickname it happened at Marquette, it happened at Stanford, it happened at Dartmouth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ya he's a fine one to believe!

I know it's popular to hate on Kelley at the moment, but I really don't believe we will revert back to the Flicker Tails. I love the Sioux nickname and traditions, it kills me to retire them but it would appear that we have no choice. The only people who can save us is Standing Rock and smart money says they have no intentions of doing so. I am clueless as to what nickname could even come close to replacing the Fighting Sioux moniker, it seems blasphemous to me to even suggest an alternative. I would be more at peace with the retirement if we would not choose another name and be referred to as the University of North Dakota or just North Dakota.

I know it's popular to hate on Kelley at the moment, but I really don't believe we will revert back to the Flicker Tails. I love the Sioux nickname and traditions, it kills me to retire them but it would appear that we have no choice. The only people who can save us is Standing Rock and smart money says they have no intentions of doing so. I am clueless as to what nickname could even come close to replacing the Fighting Sioux moniker, it seems blasphemous to me to even suggest an alternative. I would be more at peace with the retirement if we would not choose another name and be referred to as the University of North Dakota or just North Dakota.

Good post, it just frustrates me too see all the out of state presidents we hire, with all the North Dakota talent that graduates from here, would be nice to see a local be in charge for a change, really miss Clifford!

I'm going to toss out a previous notion I had with a minor modification:

Green Reaper

Yes, singular. "The Reaper" for short: "We Reap, you weap."

And for all those saying someone won't like it, well, it has something for everyone:

• For the milquetoast-bed-wetter crowd we'd use the (earth-loving, organic farming) "Mr. Greenjeans" (from Captain Kangaroo) as our logo.
  • For the ag history folks in ND we'd paint a McCormick reaper (harvester) green as a logo.
  • For the UAV future of the region we'd paint an MQ-9 Reaper green and use that as a logo.
  • And for the black jerseys ... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

How about something like "Northern Rangers". I know Rangers isn't completely unique by itself, but there aren't many good, unique options out there. I really like the name Rangers, and you could get a good logo out of it.

How about something like "Northern Rangers". I know Rangers isn't completely unique by itself, but there aren't many good, unique options out there. I really like the name Rangers, and you could get a good logo out of it.

I kind of like it...

:D

I'm resigned to the idea of a name change. And no, we can't just have "North Dakota" and nothing else.

I just don't see anything here that excites me.

Need to brainstorm and get some more possibilities out there!

Today's PC crowd will give UND some non-offensive weather phenomena type name, like Blizzard, Flood, Northern Lights, or some inanimate thing, like Flame or Spirit. Seems like they are the ones with the power in this 'controversy'. :sad:

Green Reaper

And for all those saying someone won't like it, well, it has something for everyone:

• For the milquetoast-bed-wetter crowd we'd use the (earth-loving, organic farming) "Mr. Greenjeans" (from Captain Kangaroo) as our logo.
  • For the ag history folks in ND we'd paint a McCormick reaper (harvester) green as a logo.
  • For the UAV future of the region we'd paint an MQ-9 Reaper green and use that as a logo.

I really like that one

Ya know... the word "can't" implies that there is some sort of rule in place that would prevent us from doing that if that is what we so desired. ???

Yes, we can just have "North Dakota" and nothing else. You can say that you don't think that's a good idea for whatever reason, but please don't say we can't because that is actually a false and misleading statement.

No decision maker will so desire.

Green Reaper

Pretty good stuff.

Perhaps not, but something similar was said about bringing back the Jets name to the new Winnipeg NHL franchise. Supposedly the ownership group wanted to start fresh with a new name but decided it would be in their best interest to go with Jets because that's what the fans demanded. The same thing could happen here if we as fans work together and put tremendous pressure on the powers that be.We have to make it known that we will not support any name other than Fighting Sioux or else simply North Dakota and nothing more. If we can get at least 60% of the fanbase on board with this concept and make our voices as loud as the anti-nickname people have been over the years, then I believe we could be very influential over the decision makers in this process.

"Jets" returned because of the same reason that UND will have a new nickname. Money.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Perhaps not, but something similar was said about bringing back the Jets name to the new Winnipeg NHL franchise. Supposedly the ownership group wanted to start fresh with a new name but decided it would be in their best interest to go with Jets because that's what the fans demanded. The same thing could happen here if we as fans work together and put tremendous pressure on the powers that be.We have to make it known that we will not support any name other than Fighting Sioux or else simply North Dakota and nothing more. If we can get at least 60% of the fanbase on board with this concept and make our voices as loud as the anti-nickname people have been over the years, then I believe we could be very influential over the decision makers in this process.

I am with you on this, but..................we are likely in the process of changing our name due to about 5-10% of people wanting us to do so, so I am not sure if 60% would be enough?

There is a "can't" it has been reported that the NCAA has said as part of the agreement that UND must replace the nickname and that they can't sell the logo or the nickname to another entity. Thus the Ralph can't buy it and UND can't just go with North Dakota. I'd be happy if this was an urban legend but it makes sense.

It has been put forth previously, but when I saw the post by Star2city regarding the oil industry, Wildcatters came back to me.

The logo could be an oil derrick with the interlocking ND on it.

There are a couple of Wildcatters in Lousiana and Texas, The Lafayette Wildcatters of the SIFL didn't play in 2011 and the Texas Wildcatter of the ECHL ceased operations in 2008. There are no Wildcatters in college.

It has been put forth previously, but when I saw the post by Star2city regarding the oil industry, Wildcatters came back to me.

The logo could be an oil derrick with the interlocking ND on it.

There are a couple of Wildcatters in Lousiana and Texas, The Lafayette Wildcatters of the SIFL didn't play in 2011 and the Texas Wildcatter of the ECHL ceased operations in 2008. There are no Wildcatters in college.

If the powers that be make the decision to replace the greatest name/logo in all of college sports, I am kind of leaning in this direction as well. Roughnecsk would be my preference as it would have the potential for some pretty good logo's and marketing.

This shouldn't take place for 3-4 years no matter what name they choose.

If the powers that be make the decision to replace the greatest name/logo in all of college sports, I am kind of leaning in this direction as well. Roughnecsk would be my preference as it would have the potential for some pretty good logo's and marketing.

This shouldn't take place for 3-4 years no matter what name they choose.

Roughnecks isn't bad for the men, but Wildcatters works for both men and women.

Roughnecks for the women, ahhh, not so much.

Roughnecks...? are you serious...? you think that would be flattering on tv or within a league? Marlboro Man for a logo? Most unique name that i know of is the Polar Bears. phrase is too long i know. it sucks, but it is original. Go Larimore!

Roughnecks...? are you serious...? you think that would be flattering on tv or within a league? Marlboro Man for a logo? Most unique name that i know of is the Polar Bears. phrase is too long i know. it sucks, but it is original. Go Larimore!

Works for Western Illinois....If you are of the opinion that a woman cannot be a roughneck, I think you are being sexist and not very politically correct.. :lol: