SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-12 Season

dakotadan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been checking the site looking for the 2011-2012 roster...nothing yet. I was checking because I heard a rumor that coach Idalski was thinking of red shirting Miss Marvin. The theory was the move was being considered due to the fact a few others who have played with Marvin will be arriving at UND in following seasons...others that have exhibited a nice chemistry when playing with the elder Marvin...referring to some of her Warroad teammates, hoping to take advantage of that chemistry for as many seasons as possible. Makes some sense...but I also recall coach Idalski stating that a lack of depth hurt his team in 2010-2011 so one might think he'd want Marvin available immediately. Curious to see what the staff does. Anyone heard anything about this possibility?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SPID=6403&SPSID=58669

That is one large roster. Tough to keep everyone happy with those kinds of numbers.

I think it reflects the growing popularity of UND as a women's hockey destination/school for top notch kids. It also probably means several redshirts so that UND will be playing older/mature kids rather than scrambling for bodies as has been the case in past years.

I think it reflects the growing popularity of UND as a women's hockey destination/school for top notch kids. It also probably means several redshirts so that UND will be playing older/mature kids rather than scrambling for bodies as has been the case in past years.

I've heard a lot of talk about plans to red shirt a few. Probably one of the better solutions to a roster that size. Just my personal feeling...but shared by quite a few who are big women's college hockey fans...not wanting to see a trend towards the "older" freshmen as is seen on the men's side. Most that voice an opinion hope the sport remains more as it has been for the most part...with true freshmen starting their college career as a 19 year old. Obviously Shannon Miller at UMD does not adhere to such a policy. That's one of the primary reasons for her unpopularity and fairly widespread contempt for the Bulldog program in general...outside of Duluth. It's purposeful strategy of hers to give herself an advantage by matching up older, more experienced players with National / Olympic team experience against the teams that bring in true freshman every season. Myself and many others would like to see the game remain largely as it is with the vast majority of teams competing true freshmen each season. I think UND is going to be a tough team to beat this season...for anyone. I'd just have some concern that players getting big cuts in ice time compared to their last couple seasons could be very unhappy and make for some turmoil.

Watched the twins play on a line with UW's Decker at the National Team camp in Blaine, MN. The line was awesome...made me glad Decker is at UW and not UND.

I've heard a lot of talk about plans to red shirt a few. Probably one of the better solutions to a roster that size. Just my personal feeling...but shared by quite a few who are big women's college hockey fans...not wanting to see a trend towards the "older" freshmen as is seen on the men's side. Most that voice an opinion hope the sport remains more as it has been for the most part...with true freshmen starting their college career as a 19 year old. Obviously Shannon Miller at UMD does not adhere to such a policy. That's one of the primary reasons for her unpopularity and fairly widespread contempt for the Bulldog program in general...outside of Duluth. It's purposeful strategy of hers to give herself an advantage by matching up older, more experienced players with National / Olympic team experience against the teams that bring in true freshman every season. Myself and many others would like to see the game remain largely as it is with the vast majority of teams competing true freshmen each season. I think UND is going to be a tough team to beat this season...for anyone. I'd just have some concern that players getting big cuts in ice time compared to their last couple seasons could be very unhappy and make for some turmoil.

Watched the twins play on a line with UW's Decker at the National Team camp in Blaine, MN. The line was awesome...made me glad Decker is at UW and not UND.

I am confused by your comment on Decker. I do not usually follow women's hockey seriously, but why would you not want an apparently talented player like Decker at UND? Also, since so many kids now take 5 years to graduate, is it so bad to have a few kids who redshirt just because they may not be ready for the whole college experience right out of HS including a time consuming varsity sport? I am not familiar with the UMD dislike.

I am confused by your comment on Decker. I do not usually follow women's hockey seriously, but why would you not want an apparently talented player like Decker at UND? Also, since so many kids now take 5 years to graduate, is it so bad to have a few kids who redshirt just because they may not be ready for the whole college experience right out of HS including a time consuming varsity sport? I am not familiar with the UMD dislike.

Ooops...I probably should have mentioned, I'm a fan of a different WCHA team...a UND adversary. All true freshmen...right out of high school or prep hockey in the East are in the same boat when it comes to readiness for the next level...NCAA D-I. They all have a period of adjustment. The exceptions are the kids who come from Triple A teams like Shattuck...Colorado Select, Chicago Mission, NAHA etc. They almost always have a noticeable edge and are a step ahead of typical player fresh out of high school with their much longer schedules and higher level of competition. That period of adjustment is pretty universal for all freshmen so I'm for a level playing field via every team having their rookies learn on the fly, in games from day 1 with their new team. Rather than the UMD method of 22+ year old "freshman" with National and or Olympic team experience. Sorry...don't want to see that become commonplace in the women's game.

I should also clarify my earlier comments. I don't have a problem with a red shirt year for new additions. Those players are going to be in the same boat as any other rookie when it comes to that adjustment to D-I I mentioned before. With a roster like the 2011-2012 Sioux roster you don't have a lot of other options. One year is no big deal...but I guess I'd still rather the new players start their career immediately...but the size of a teams roster has an obvious bearing on the use of red shirt seasons. My primary beef is with the philosophy utilizing 22 year old "freshmen" who have multiple prior Nation / Olympic Teams experience. That's what i don't want to see escalate. There's only one WCHA program that's made that a habit...so far.

I should also clarify my earlier comments. I don't have a problem with a red shirt year for new additions. Those players are going to be in the same boat as any other rookie when it comes to that adjustment to D-I I mentioned before. With a roster like the 2011-2012 Sioux roster you don't have a lot of other options. One year is no big deal...but I guess I'd still rather the new players start their career immediately...but the size of a teams roster has an obvious bearing on the use of red shirt seasons. My primary beef is with the philosophy utilizing 22 year old "freshmen" who have multiple prior Nation / Olympic Teams experience. That's what i don't want to see escalate. There's only one WCHA program that's made that a habit...so far.

Thanks for the clarifications. I agree.

Wow - a 29-player roster, with 10 freshmen.

Hope there's some redshirts in that mix, and/or some people who had playing time last year will get less this year.

Nice to see Karvinen - presumably this means the Clearinghouse issues have been resolved favorably?

Go Sioux!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - a 29-player roster, with 10 freshmen.

Hope there's some redshirts in that mix, and/or some people who had playing time last year will get less this year.

Heard talk awhile back about Miss Marvin being red shirted...but doesn't indicate that on the roster. Wouldn't that most likely be specified on the updated roster if that were the plan?

Heard talk awhile back about Miss Marvin being red shirted...but doesn't indicate that on the roster. Wouldn't that most likely be specified on the updated roster if that were the plan?

Although the coaching staff likely knows who they plan to redshirt, I would expect that the final decisions won't be made until shortly before the season starts. They will want to see the players in official practices before setting the final roster.

Per a Schlossman tweet, Karvinen has been cleared to play this season.

That is excellent news! With the large roster, it will be interesting how many ladies we ask to redshirt. Hopefully, the most talented ones will buy-in and agree to sit out the year.

It should be an exciting season!

In honor of Michelle Karvinen clearing herself for NCAA eligibility. Here is a video that is supposedly her making an absolutely "sick" move Pavel Bure-style on a Swedish goalie. I don't speak Finnish, so I don't know the exact details of the game. I hope to see Michelle and the Twins making a lot of magic this season and next! :)

Sick move

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...