SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Fact is, if the rivalry restarted the Fargodome would sell out in a heartbeat if the rivalry restarted and vice versa when the game would be played in Grand Forks. As for those who don't care, you don't have to but I bet if the two teams started playing again the majority of you will be there to watch it live. Well maybe except the guy from Wyoming. :D

Now this doesn't mean I'm for the two teams playing again because I honestly don't care either way. However, I'm not afraid to say that if the two teams started playing again I will be there.

That is like asking why there are dozens of threads dedicated to UND on their message boards. :lol:

Dozens??? There is a new UND thread started every day. Any bit of news about UND gets its own thread over there. But remember their words....They have moved on!! :lol::lol:

Yeah Sioux fans are jealous because we don't get to be on KVLY. I just wish UND would end their nationally televised contract with Fox College Sports which is seen all across the country so we can be on in 3 or 4 states. Yep...we are so jealous of NDSU. :lol::lol:

UND Football?

UND Football?

Yes UND football, the team that owned your team the last decade they played. Maybe thats why Gene doesn't want his Bison to play the Sioux he doesn't want to get embarrassed in front of a nation wide audience not just the state wide KVLY audience. Makes sense.

What you have to ask yourself whether you're a Sioux or a Bison fan is "Is there any other game you could schedule that will draw as much attention, a bigger crowd, or sell more merchandise than a Sioux-Bison game?"

I don't think there is.

What you have to ask yourself whether you're a Sioux or a Bison fan is "Is there any other game you could schedule that will draw as much attention, a bigger crowd, or sell more merchandise than a Sioux-Bison game?"

I don't think there is.

To them SDSU is their rival so they will outdraw UND. (lakesbison mentality) :lol:

Cause nothing says exposure like playing a team that lost to Sioux Falls. NDSU has North Dakota and NW Minnesota by the balls when it comes to football exposure, similar to UND's control over the same area in hockey. I'd like to see them play for time to time or if a 12 game schedule was adopted they could play every year. As for Gene, its not just him who isn't really allowing the game, UND is at fault too. At least Gene can say that UND left NDSU out to dry when we went division 1, UND can't really complain that NDSU doesn't feel the need to play anymore cause UND stopped it to begin with. It is kind of like being pissed off when you dump someone, and later when you want them back they don't really want to be with you anymore.

You do realize a very large percentage of Fargo residents can not stand the Bison and yet you claim they have North Dakota by the balls. Are you the guy on Bisonville that thinks NDSU is going to be in the Big 10 in a couple of years?

Yes UND football, the team that owned your team the last decade they played. Maybe thats why Gene doesn't want his Bison to play the Sioux he doesn't want to get embarrassed in front of a nation wide audience not just the state wide KVLY audience. Makes sense.

Settle down bro. Just asking a question.

I don't think there is.

The record for single game attendance at the Fargodome was played against SDSU. I do believe that is the record for the largest attended sporting event in the state as well.

I don't think there is.

No. I don't care which side you root for. It is and always will be the biggest game.

Yep, Fox College Sports aired quite a few UND football games last season while of course airing all UND men's hockey home games.

@darell1976: I was trying to be a little nice so I only said dozens. :D

UND had three football games televised on FCS last year NDSU had two.

Settle down bro. Just asking a question.

I thought you were making a smartass remark I didn't think it was an actual question. My bad...sorry about that, but yes UND football is televised with Sioux hockey and basketball on Fox College Sports in conjunction with the Fighting Sioux Sports Network.

Just like I said in my previous post...Both school have done pretty well without each other for the last 5-6 years. Simply said, they have moved on...If you want an occasional game and they and us are willing so be it, but its not that important any more...You can't tell me the first time Montana plays at the Alerus that we won't sell out? Also, when we start playing the FCS competition game in and game out, we won't want to play the teams south of GF anymore because it will only be tune-up game for better things...

Lastly, to the guys who keep bitchin about the hockey fans at UND not supporting football give it a rest...the nickname is safe now and we can go back to pretending we make millions from the football and basketball games at UND now...battles over....

BobIwabuchiFan

You do realize a very large percentage of Fargo residents can not stand the Bison and yet you claim they have North Dakota by the balls. Are you the guy on Bisonville that thinks NDSU is going to be in the Big 10 in a couple of years?

If you look at recruiting recently I think you would understand that statement. Regional recruiting hasn't even been close the last few years. A lot of residents in Fargo are UND Alum because GF has next to nothing to offer UND grads.

Just like I said in my previous post...Both school have done pretty well without each other for the last 5-6 years. Simply said, they have moved on...If you want an occasional game and they and us are willing so be it, but its not that important any more...You can't tell me the first time Montana plays at the Alerus that we won't sell out? Also, when we start playing the FCS competition game in and game out, we won't want to play the teams south of GF anymore because it will only be tune-up game for better things...

Lastly, to the guys who keep bitchin about the hockey fans at UND not supporting football give it a rest...the nickname is safe now and we can go back to pretending we make millions from the football and basketball games at UND now...battles over....

BobIwabuchiFan

I'll be honest, one cool thing about NDSUs transition is the new teams coming into the Dome, some of the budding conference rivalries. The SDSU game has definitely been intense the past few years. But you cannot beat a state rivalry between schools separated by a 3 beer drive and season-long bragging rights. Those from NDSU who say UNI or SDSU have "replaced" UND are simply ignorant, and to assume Montana or Montana State will do the same for UND is the same.

The record for single game attendance at the Fargodome was played against SDSU. I do believe that is the record for the largest attended sporting event in the state as well.

The biggest crowd was in 2006 against SDSU -19,053 and was 4 years after the UND-NDSU series was last played at the Dome, and the only time SDSU shows up on the top 15 attendance list for NDSU.

The last 3 Sioux-Bison games at the Dome?

2002-19,046 2nd biggest crowd ever

2000-19,020 3th biggest crowd ever

1998-19,006 5th biggest crowd ever

This series if resumed would again destroy the attendance records at both venues, the only limits would be how many standing room only tickets they would sell.

If you look at recruiting recently I think you would understand that statement. Regional recruiting hasn't even been close the last few years. A lot of residents in Fargo are UND Alum because GF has next to nothing to offer UND grads.

Or, a lot of the residents of Fargo go to UND because of the programs that they offer or they have little interest in NDSU and then return to Fargo after graduating from UND. As to the recruiting comment, I think it has more to do with a AQ league and UND being in transition. Those advantages are about to end. NDSU had a seven year head start and they got a win over Minnesota, one great west football championship, a 10-14 record in MVFC and one decent playoff win over MSU. You are right - NDSU owns North Dakota - MY OH MY.

I'll be honest, one cool thing about NDSUs transition is the new teams coming into the Dome, some of the budding conference rivalries. The SDSU game has definitely been intense the past few years. But you cannot beat a state rivalry between schools separated by a 3 beer drive and season-long bragging rights. Those from NDSU who say UNI or SDSU have "replaced" UND are simply ignorant, and to assume Montana or Montana State will do the same for UND is the same.

I personally don't know of anyone saying those schools have replaced UND other than a few on message boards. Nothing will replace UND on the rivals list. SDSU fans show up for games while UNI brings the hate. If SDSU and UNI were to combine athletic programs then I would say UND has a strong competitor for a rival. Most that say they have moved on have had more invested into the program than the average Joe and tend to make it more of a personal thing when the fallout began.

The biggest crowd was in 2006 against SDSU -19,053 and was 4 years after the UND-NDSU series was last played at the Dome, and the only time SDSU shows up on the top 15 attendance list for NDSU.

This series if resumed would again destroy the attendance records at both venues, the only limits would be how many standing room only tickets they would sell.

LOL. They conveniently added 7 extra people to the previous record vs. UND so they can say SDSU was the highest attended game. How petty.

Or, a lot of the residents of Fargo go to UND because of the programs that they offer or they have little interest in NDSU and then return to Fargo after graduating from UND. As to the recruiting comment, I think it has more to do with a AQ league and UND being in transition. Those advantages are about to end. NDSU had a seven year head start and they got a win over Minnesota, one great west football championship, a 10-14 record in MVFC and one decent playoff win over MSU. You are right - NDSU owns North Dakota - MY OH MY.

I agree to some extent with the Fargo residents going to UND because of program interest. I know quite of few people on both side of the fence on that one. Most that I know are transplants however. I think you are forgetting that NDSU has performed well vs. FBS. Wins vs. Ball State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Central Michigan who took a 30 point loss to NDSU the same year they won the MAC conference and eventually lost by three to Purdue in their Bowl game. NDSU has been ranked off and on in the FCS polls starting in their first year of full DI transition and have held the #1 spot in the polls while still in transition. NDSU holds a winning record vs. FBS and FCS competition since moving up and have been averaging well over 15,000 per season. I think recruits see the whole picture don't you? Now what exactly has UND done to change this?

19,200 is the max from what I was told. No doubt they would reach that the first few games. I'm just trying to show you that SDSU does bring fans as well. The two North Dakota schools playing each other should be sold out every game. Why didn't that happen before we are only 72 miles apart.

19,200 is the max from what I was told. No doubt they would reach that the first few games. I'm just trying to show you that SDSU does bring fans as well. The two North Dakota schools playing each other should be sold out every game. Why didn't that happen before we are only 72 miles apart.

I wonder if they do it by headcount and not by tickets sold, there are bound to be a few no-shows?

I agree to some extent with the Fargo residents going to UND because of program interest. I know quite of few people on both side of the fence on that one. Most that I know are transplants however. I think you are forgetting that NDSU has performed well vs. FBS. Wins vs. Ball State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Central Michigan who took a 30 point loss to NDSU the same year they won the MAC conference and eventually lost by three to Purdue in their Bowl game. NDSU has been ranked off and on in the FCS polls starting in their first year of full DI transition and have held the #1 spot in the polls while still in transition. NDSU holds a winning record vs. FBS and FCS competition since moving up and have been averaging well over 15,000 per season. I think recruits see the whole picture don't you? Now what exactly has UND done to change this?

And how many national titles has NDSU won since moving up to the FCS....Zero! They won 2 playoff games since becoming eligible. You have beaten Kansas and Minnesota both had what 4 wins total. You crushed Central Michigan thats like beating a high ranking FCS team. The MAC is not exactly the SEC. You were #1 ranked for awhile during a season in transition didn't matter you weren't playoff eligible. Yes we had an off year last season but NDSU did a 3-8 also. You laugh at our D2/NAIA teams well does Arkansas-Montecello ring a bell or Condordia-St. Paul. Yes even NDSU played down to teams too. UND is looking at the future as well, our first goal is something NDSU wanted but didn't get...The Big Sky. Now we can concentrate on our second goal....a playoff berth.

And how many national titles has NDSU won since moving up to the FCS....Zero! They won 2 playoff games since becoming eligible. You have beaten Kansas and Minnesota both had what 4 wins total. You crushed Central Michigan thats like beating a high ranking FCS team. The MAC is not exactly the SEC. You were #1 ranked for awhile during a season in transition didn't matter you weren't playoff eligible. Yes we had an off year last season but NDSU did a 3-8 also. You laugh at our D2/NAIA teams well does Arkansas-Montecello ring a bell or Condordia-St. Paul. Yes even NDSU played down to teams too. UND is looking at the future as well, our first goal is something NDSU wanted but didn't get...The Big Sky. Now we can concentrate on our second goal....a playoff berth.

Exactly...we don't need NDSU and they don't need us to be successfull...Let's move on now. Then, just maybe then, the Fargo trolls will leave permanently! Long live the Sioux and the Big Sky!!!