SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

jimdahl

It's 1, 2, 3, and 5 in both conferences.

I've never been a Caps fan (sorry Jim); Carcillo's behavior in Game 7 v. Buffalo confirmed that I can't cheer for Philly; Boston's just waiting to implode (sorry Goon); and Tampa playing that hideous 1-3-1 and holding on for a "soccer" win (1-0) is an affront to the game. That rules out the East for me.

Out west I just can't cheer for either Vancouver or "Saint Joe".

I guess I'm left with Detroit and Nashville to follow.

I've never been a Caps fan (sorry Jim); Carcillo's behavior in Game 7 v. Buffalo confirmed that I can't cheer for Philly; Boston's just waiting to implode (sorry Goon); and Tampa playing that hideous 1-3-1 and holding on for a "soccer" win (1-0) is an affront to the game. That rules out the East for me.

Carcillo's behavior? Really? You mean after Miller snapped and cheapshotted him behind the net and instead of dropping him, Carcillo mocked him? Yeah totally uncalled for. I watched every second of that series and every time the whistle blew to stop play I thought the Sabres were morphing into the Gophers and trying to play tough guy hockey with all the after the whistle crap.

So Nashville then?

Carcillo's behavior? Really?

Yes, Carcillo.

The mocking of the Buffalo bench after the goal was uncalled for.

The stick destruction over the boards was uncalled for. You could see Pronger call him out on that on the bench as Carcillo went down the tunnel.

I loved Don Cherry's compilation of Carcillo's antics. Surely you saw that between periods last night.

(Cherry's calling for Carcillo's benching because the loose cannon antics don't work in the Cup playoffs.)

Yes, Carcillo.

And no, not Philly.

Nashville is the Predators and unfortunately for them Vancouver is their "Dateline with Chris Hanson".

I watched a couple hours of that last weekend, I can't believe how many of the guys they caught said "I knew it was going to be this" or admitted they had seen this program before, yet they came anyway. Unreal.

I hope you're wrong about Vancouver being Nashvilles kryptonite though, cheering for underdogs is all I have left.

Carcillo's behavior? Really? You mean after Miller snapped and cheapshotted him behind the net and instead of dropping him, Carcillo mocked him? Yeah totally uncalled for. I watched every second of that series and every time the whistle blew to stop play I thought the Sabres were morphing into the Gophers and trying to play tough guy hockey with all the after the whistle crap.

Well, Vanek does play for Buffalo. Maybe he's rubbing off on his teammates. I would just hope that Stafford would step up and not allow that crap to infect their locker room! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Nice to see the babies in Philly lose game 1.

I see Chrissy Pronger was up to his usual antics. About 10 mins into the game Paille almost beats him to the puck to negate an icing call (and he actually may have beaten him) and Chrissy throws a fit and hacks Paille. Each player got a 2 minute penalty, but I'm still wondering what Paille got his matching minor for. If anyone out there who's smarter than me can tell me why Paille got a penalty for this play, I'd be grateful.

Chris Pronger Slashes Daniel Paille

I must say....last night's Bruins game was BEEEEAAAAAUTIFUL! :lol:

The Flyers could have and probably should have won that one. I think goaltending is putting Boston over the edge in this series. Going back to Boston up 2-0 has me feeling good, but not "safe". I remember last year all too well - and just looking back to the Boston/Montreal series this year shows you what a 2-0 series lead can buy you.

I must say....last night's Bruins game was BEEEEAAAAAUTIFUL! :lol:

The Flyers could have and probably should have won that one. I think goaltending is putting Boston over the edge in this series. Going back to Boston up 2-0 has me feeling good, but not "safe". I remember last year all too well - and just looking back to the Boston/Montreal series this year shows you what a 2-0 series lead can buy you.

These playoffs have been as good as any I can remember, and tonight should be no different.

Nashville goes home tied with a chance to put Vancouver in a hole.

And what about TB's playoff run, rallying from 3-1 to take out Pittsburgh and then winning the first 2 at Washington? Big trouble for any Caps fans...seems like I remember there being one on here...hmm. ;)

I see Chrissy Pronger was up to his usual antics. About 10 mins into the game Paille almost beats him to the puck to negate an icing call (and he actually may have beaten him) and Chrissy throws a fit and hacks Paille. Each player got a 2 minute penalty, but I'm still wondering what Paille got his matching minor for. If anyone out there who's smarter than me can tell me why Paille got a penalty for this play, I'd be grateful.

Chris Pronger Slashes Daniel Paille

My hatred for Chris Pronger grows....classless hack.

• Upvote 1

And what about TB's playoff run, rallying from 3-1 to take out Pittsburgh and then winning the first 2 at Washington? Big trouble for any Caps fans...seems like I remember there being one on here...hmm. ;)

Down 0-2 wasn't actually that frightening, particularly given the way the Bolts won game 2. Down 0-3 is. ;)

TB put out everything they had in the 3rd tonight, absolutely dominating offensively, so I would think odds have to favor the Caps in game 4 with just a 24 hour break. But, odds wouldn't have put TB up 3-0, so who knows.

Down 0-2 wasn't actually that frightening, particularly given the way the Bolts won game 2. Down 0-3 is. ;)

TB put out everything they had in the 3rd tonight, absolutely dominating offensively, so I would think odds have to favor the Caps in game 4 with just a 24 hour break. But, odds wouldn't have put TB up 3-0, so who knows.

For a team that was down 2 games to none the Caps did not show any desperation in the 3rd period until the last minute and a half. Pathetic effort. They deserve to be down 3-0.

For a team that was down 2 games to none the Caps did not show any desperation in the 3rd period until the last minute and a half. Pathetic effort. They deserve to be down 3-0.

Ovechkin had a couple bad giveaways, looked like he was trying to do it by himself in the 3rd...but then again he almost had to, they didn't look good at all.

I have to admidt that Ryan Kessler is my kinda player - I 'm a Blackhawks guy & want a USA team to win it all - but the guy is in everyones face & yapping & gets er done :D

I have not followed the NHL during the regular season's much - but the last few yrs have had time to get into the playoffs - Man I've really come to love the quality & intensity of the Stanley Cup playoffs

Tampa Bay beats the top-seeded Capitals by the score 5-3, sweeping the series. Didn't see that happening. :0

It's one of those it surprises you, but when you think about it, does it really? It took the Caps half a season to realize that they need to play defense first. They aren't very deep on defense. Wideman was a good pickup, but unfortunately was injured. Along with Greene. Look at Schultz/s numbers compared to last year. +50 last year, I think +6 this year. Lastly, it's hard to be successful if your Captain doesn't practice the main thing your preaching (defense first). Ovechkin seems to only skate when there is an loose puck or a rush, he fails to back check very hard.

Bruce Boudreau is also not their answer, he again in his postgame stresses how good they were in the season. This is the playoffs, a completely different beast than the NHL season. And you play in the weakest division in the East. I just am flabbergasted by how the Caps organization seems stunned when to me, an outsider (non-Caps fan) looking in, sees it all so cleary.

I just am flabbergasted by how the Caps organization seems stunned when to me, an outsider (non-Caps fan) looking in, sees it all so cleary.

It would have been more impressive if you had predicted TB to sweep before the series began instead of after it ended. All the pros were penciling the Caps in for the Eastern Finals after watching the Rangers series. I think they just choked (again).

And you play in the weakest division in the East

Atlantic has the newest teams, so there's not the rich history in all-time titles or original six, but the Atlantic has won 2 Stanley Cups in the last decade, Southeast has won 2, Northeast has won 0. Regular season standings are pretty much a wash top-to-bottom, though an SE team has won the East the last two years.

Bruce Boudreau is also not their answer, he again in his postgame stresses how good they were in the season. This is the playoffs, a completely different beast than the NHL season.

As a Sioux fan, this quote is all too familiar. ;) Though the stunning rally to win the East again made for a fun regular season, the early playoff exits are getting old, and I'd be surprised if we didn't see some personnel changes this time.

At least Philly also seems about to get bounced, so I will probably get to calm down and just enjoy the remaining games without getting too upset about who wins and loses. :D

It would have been more impressive if you had predicted TB to sweep before the series began instead of after it ended. All the pros were penciling the Caps in for the Eastern Finals after watching the Rangers series. I think they just choked (again).

Atlantic has the newest teams, so there's not the rich history in all-time titles or original six, but the Atlantic has won 2 Stanley Cups in the last decade, Southeast has won 2, Northeast has won 0. Regular season standings are pretty much a wash top-to-bottom, though an SE team has won the East the last two years.

As a Sioux fan, this quote is all too familiar. ;) Though the stunning rally to win the East again made for a fun regular season, the early playoff exits are getting old, and I'd be surprised if we didn't see some personnel changes this time.

At least Philly also seems about to get bounced, so I will probably get to calm down and just enjoy the remaining games without getting too upset about who wins and loses. :D

Jimdahl, I agree with you on most points. As a sioux fan I tend to look at strength of schedule. And when the Caps play within a division where a majority of their games come from teams that are out of the playoff race in February its tough for me to take a team seriously. This is contrary to this year as the Caps division was much stronger which to me made them a better team. Injuries killed the Caps, and I like the moves that McPhee (believe his job is safe) made near the deadline. Wideman will be huge for the Caps going into 11-12. I feel like the Caps need more depth at defense to really make that big playoff push and he will help. Carlson is great, Green stays healthy, Schultz gets back his numbers, and Erskine plays a little bit more and you got a descent top 5 for the D corps.

My biggest concern is O-vie. He is a great player, I'm not discounting that at all, but from a leadership standpoint, I dont think that's his role. You look at Louongo being stripped of his C, and look it that team this year (albeit their the best team on paper) I feel that with Ovie its more all about him, and what can he do to try and win a game, then what can the team do. You don't see that with players like Lidstrom, Crosby, Niedermeyer, and our beloved Toews. Those guys are more team oriented and outstanding Captains with proven leadership. I'd like to see someone else get the "C" next season on the Caps. If Arnott sticks around he would be great, even Wideman.

I will step off my soapbox now.