SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

jimdahl

Goon will like this...

Computer simulation predicts Bruins will lift Cup

But this prediction is just like throwing a ball at the broad side of a barn... ;)

And what would the Stanley Cup Playoffs be without a few good upsets? There's a doozy waiting right off the bat, as the eighth-seeded New York Rangers -- who needed a win and a loss by the Carolina Hurricanes on the next-to-last day of the regular season just to qualify -- knock off the East's top seed, the Washington Capitals, in a seven-game barnburner. The Rangers came out on top in 60.34 percent of the simulations, and won Game 7 in a hostile environment at the Verizon Center, sending the favored Caps off into another long offseason.

Watched the Chicago-Vancouver game last night, first time I've watched Vancouver play this year and I was impressed, they are dangerous from anywhere on the ice with their passing. This is going to be a great series, despite being shut out Chicago had a lot of good shots on goal, especially the Toews line.

For you diehard NHL guys out there, has there ever been a team that led the league in both Most Goals Scored and Least Goals Allowed? I didn't realize Vancouver had done it this year until I checked to see how many goals they scored because their offense looked so good. I could look back but maybe someone knows off the top of their head.

For you diehard NHL guys out there, has there ever been a team that led the league in both Most Goals Scored and Least Goals Allowed? I didn't realize Vancouver had done it this year until I checked to see how many goals they scored because their offense looked so good. I could look back but maybe someone knows off the top of their head.

Wow, that is a scary stat.

I was happy with the Caps last night. Being comfortable in that sort of tight game with a more defensive play is exactly what Boudreau coached them for with the big change in December. Not many odd man rushes and I think the Caps ended with almost as many, if not more, blocked shots than the Rangers. Plus, it's hard not to be pleased with Ovie and Arnott to Semin scoring. It's only one win in a game that could easily have gone either way, but it's better than one loss.

Flyers can't solve Miller and get shut out by Buffalo 1-0.

Boobirds were out late in in the game, gotta love those Philly fans.

Next thing you know Philly fans will be calling for Dave Hakstol's head.

It's what you do when you get shut out by a red-hot goalie in the post season, right? ;)

• Upvote 1

Next thing you know Philly fans will be calling for Dave Hakstol's head.

It's what you do when you get shut out by a red-hot goalie in the post season, right? ;)

Lucky for them it isn't a one and done format. Being shut out by a red-hot goalie in the post season in one game isn't a season ending blow like it was for the Sioux.

Had some time to kill so I started looking back and the answer is...yes.

Last time was the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens who scored 359 goals and gave up only 183, a difference of 176 goals! That is impressive.

The great Gretzky-led Edmonton teams of the early 80's regularly scored 400+ goals including a whopping 446 in 83-84, but also gave up 300+ on a regular basis.

So that's the trivia tidbit of the day I guess. :)

What a wild night in the East. Pittsburgh and Washington each went to 2OT before winning and taking a 3-1 series lead (Washington after being down 0-3 in the 3rd).

Meanwhile, Detroit is the first to advance with a 4-0 series sweep of Phoenix.

What a wild night in the East. Pittsburgh and Washington each went to 2OT before winning and taking a 3-1 series lead (Washington after being down 0-3 in the 3rd).

Meanwhile, Detroit is the first to advance with a 4-0 series sweep of Phoenix.

I watched that NYR-Washington game, chokaroni by the Rangers (to your delight though). I thought when Ovechkin got stopped on the breakaway in the first OT the Rangers might pull it out after all, but then they basically scored on themselves to end it. That had to be sickening in the locker room.

The Kings blow a 4-0 third period lead to lose in OT 6-5 to San Jose.

And when you think it can't get whackier, the next night two games go 2OT and in one of them NYR blows a 3-0 lead to lose.

I'm thinking the LAK and NYR are probably both done after those collapses.

So I love watching the hockey, but find Vs. frustrating or at least the tv deal. I would like to see a bit of variety in the games. Every year they only show a couple different series. I realize it's about the markets, but a 1 vs. 8 matchup is not the best match up to be showing every game of.

So I love watching the hockey, but find Vs. frustrating or at least the tv deal. I would like to see a bit of variety in the games. Every year they only show a couple different series. I realize it's about the markets, but a 1 vs. 8 matchup is not the best match up to be showing every game of.

Please!

If the Penguins and/or Caps aren't playing, then the Stanley Cup champions from last year should be filling in the gaps. If neither of the 3 teams are playing, then show reruns or some lame outdoor show.

Heh... I sound like an NHL Network exec!

The Kings blow a 4-0 third period lead to lose in OT 6-5 to San Jose.

And when you think it can't get whackier, the next night two games go 2OT and in one of them NYR blows a 3-0 lead to lose.

I'm thinking the LAK and NYR are probably both done after those collapses.

Actually the Kings were tied at 5 after 2 periods.

True. We get the Caps games on local channels, anyway, so there's no good reason not to try to show a little more diversity on Vs. However, when 1 vs. 8 is New York vs. Washington, the TV market appeal is pretty much unbeatable. Combine that with the usual tendency to trot out the teams with individual stars (e.g. Pittsburgh, Washington) for a national audience, and we're lucky that there's coverage of any other series. Don't worry, though, this is where the series usually gets good when the Caps defy all odds and manage to drop three in a row in 2OT :)

As I said above, though, congrats to Detroit on a sound thumping. Some people think battling through adversity in these rounds is useful, I think demonstrating that you're head and shoulders above the competition is even better.

#1 vs #8 in the West is turning into a great series for us Hawk fans. Was ready to write off the Hawks but they woke up when they saw the golf courses weren't even playable in Chicago. Might as well keep playing hockey for a while longer.

To go from 3-0 vs the Canuckleheads to 3-2 in dominating fashion is great to see. Now they're in Luuuuu's head & I can't wait to see the next game.

Next game back in Chicago the UC will be rockin. If you can catch the game on TV for opening anthems, it is really something to see

Jim Cornelius (sp) belt them out & the crowd literelly bring the house down.

Would be a helluva come back if they can beat them for the 3rd. time in a row in the playoffs.

The Bruins are gutting out wins right now.. The Bobby Ryan Goal was sick... What no one mentioned is former Fighting Sioux Jason Blake had two goals for the Ducks last night... He reminded me of the Blake that played at UND... Went hard to the net and picked up the loose change.