SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA realignment for women

star2city

So where does the Penn State women's team play? WCHA or more likely CHA. If Penn State goes to the CHA, seems like Ohio State would go there too.

Lindenwood is also moving women's hockey from club to DI status next year. They'll likely be independent for at least one year, but where do they go after that?

Will Michigan and Michigan State soon sponsor women's hockey? This article on the MSU women's club team isn't hopeful Mich St will start women's hockey, but if Mich and Mich St do, the WCHA for women would be down to five teams. Both leagues really need an eighth team (Lindenwood or Moorhead) to protect itself from a BTWHC.

WCHA Women's

UND

UM (to BTWHC? later)

UW (to BTWCH? later)

UMD

Bemidji

St Cloud

Mankato

CHA Women's

Syracuse

Mercyhurst

Ohio St

Penn State

Wayne St

Robert Morris

Niagara

It would serve the Big Ten('leven)(welve) members right if the Womens WCHA told them, "Well, you want to play Big Ten Hockey. Great. Do it for women too. See ya. Buh-bye."

Not likely, since the womens WCHA is made up of 3 Big Ten teams, and another 4 Minnesota based teams. that leaves exactly one team to support such a stupid idea.

• 1 month later...

This news might alter the conference picture for the women's WCHA:

Wayne St drops women's hockey

With Wayne St out of the CHA, that league is down to four schools (Mercyhurst, Syracuse, Robert Morris, Niagara).

Since it needs six teams for an autobid, will Ohio State now jump, even if Penn State now joins? Ohio State has already been burned once, and backed out on a CHA move.

• 3 months later...

Penn State women's team joins CHA, Ohio State next?

No big surprise here with Penn State's decision

Penn State will be a full CHA member in the 2012-13 season, when it also jumps from club to varsity status. The Nittany Lions will join current members Mercyhurst, Niagara, Robert Morris and Syracuse, playing each team twice home and away.

Seems likely that Ohio State follows Penn State.

Conference commissioner Robert DeGregorio said Tuesday that the CHA is also close to locking up another program, giving it six members and an automatic qualifying bid to the NCAA tournament, and he hopes to expand to as many as eight to 10 teams in the not so distant future.

Lindenwood is looking for a conference: that would make 7. Where are the 8th, 9th, and 10th teams coming from? The ECAC is at 12, which is perfect for them. Are some schools seriously considering adding hockey?

Ohio State moving would be good for the WCHA. It will open up a few extra non-conference games, which are sorely needed. Also, gives a nice advantage to the regular season champ getting the week off before the Final Faceoff.

I wouldn't want to see Ohio State leave the WCHA myself. They're among the more competitive teams outside the big three and I expect them to be better yet with the new head coach. I think the team underachieved regularly under the leadership of Barto...they've had their fair share of talent. I also think both Ohio State and UND are going to be much stronger contenders for the WCHA marbles every year and very soon it will no longer be just "The Big 3" as it has been to this point.

A couple more NC games would be good. NC games against quality, ranked opponents are fun and potentially beneficial for any team. If you can schedule two / three NC series against strong teams outside the conference that should be sufficient from a national rankings standpoint, provided you also do well in the conference. Additional NC series vs. weaker teams don't do you any good in that respect...and there isn't always a bunch of teams outside the conference ranked highly enough to help you in that regard, so you're limited by that as well. You can also get burned by those NC series if you schedule a team expected to be strong and ranked highly initially, then they have a terrible season. Even if you win those games it ends up doing nothing for you due to the other teams poor record.

NC series results...and overall results also become moot when the NCAA decides to completely ignore the stated NCAA tournament selection guidelines per their own ratings formula in their ongoing effort to facilitate a non WCHA champion. Sending UMD to Wisconsin in the first round...what a farce that was. :silly:

I think the intense competition every weekend within the WCHA is / has been very beneficial come NCAA tournament time...and I think good results within the WCHA are undervalued when some top teams in the east are highly ranked while playing relatively weak schedules. Ohio State has always been a team that can give the WCHA powers fits at times. I hope to see them stay. I think they'll be better and more consistent under the new coach...which is a benefit for the conference IMO.

Travel costs to / from Columbus could motivate a move by OSU, I'll admit.

Will Michigan and Michigan State soon sponsor women's hockey?

No...not any time soon. Not any time in the foreseeable future. Which is a real shame. I believe they both have the means as well as a significant local talent pool that could use a couple more rosters for the opportunity. I'm sure many of those players would love to play for either team.

WCHA Women's

UND

UM (to BTWHC? later)

UW (to BTWCH? later)

UMD

Bemidji

St Cloud

Mankato

CHA Women's

Syracuse

Mercyhurst

Ohio St

Penn State

Wayne St

Robert Morris

Niagara

I'm curious about your hypothesizing regarding a Big 10 hockey conference for the women...which also isn't going to happen any time soon...but if you're suggesting a move to a future Big 10 women's hockey conference by Wisconsin and Minnesota why wouldn't Ohio State and Penn State also be in that Big 10 conference? I'm thinking the Big 10 would never bother if all Big 10 schools with varsity hockey programs for the women aren't included. I can't honestly think of any other Big 10 schools I'd ever really expect to start a varsity hockey program for the women.

No...not any time soon. Not any time in the foreseeable future. Which is a real shame. I believe they both have the means as well as a significant local talent pool that could use a couple more rosters for the opportunity. I'm sure many of those players would love to play for either team.

I'm curious about your hypothesizing regarding a Big 10 hockey conference for the women...which also isn't going to happen any time soon...but if you're suggesting a move to a future Big 10 women's hockey conference by Wisconsin and Minnesota why wouldn't Ohio State and Penn State also be in that Big 10 conference? I'm thinking the Big 10 would never bother if all Big 10 schools with varsity hockey programs for the women aren't included. I can't honestly think of any other Big 10 schools I'd ever really expect to start a varsity hockey program for the women.

Even though women's hockey would draw minuscule ratings on the Big Ten Network, could still see Delany pushing for it eventually. If nothing else, the games would be taped for broadcast in early morning or during weekdays. Of course Ohio State and Penn State would be included - it was just an oversight from a post months ago.

Internet rumors are that Red Berenson at Michigan will only allow women's hockey over his dead body, which tends to make sense, as Michigan just started women's lacrosse (as well as men's lacrosse). Meanwhile, the biggest women's hockey state in the country without a women's DI team is still teamless. Since Berenson is ancient, his reign won't last forever. Michigan State will follow whatever Michigan does in hockey.