SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

I started one last year, so might as well start another one for next season. It will be a long offseason.

It is tough watching this year's group of seniors go out without winning the big one. They certainly were on fire at the end of the season, and they just got stoned by a stellar performance from Hunwick.

Moving on to 2011-2012.

The roster is looking like this so far:

Forwards (11):

Jason Gregoire (SR) *

Brett Hextall (SR)

Mario Lamoureux (SR)

Danny Kristo (JR) *

Corban Knight (JR)

Mike Cichy (JR)

Carter Rowney (JR)

Brett Bruneteau (JR)

Brock Nelson (SO)

Derek Rodwell (SO)

Taylor Dickin (SO)

Defense (6):

Ben Blood (SR) *

Andrew MacWilliam (JR)

Joe Gleason (JR)

Ryan Hill (JR)

Derek Forbort (SO)

Dillon Simpson (SO)

Goalies (3):

Brad Eidsness (SR) *

Aaron Dell (JR)

Tate Maris (JR)

Possible Incoming Freshmen (8):

Andrew Panzarella (D)

JT Miller (F)

Rocco Grimaldi (F)

Mark MacMillan (F)

Colten St. Clair (F)

Brendan O'Donnell (F)

Michael Parks (F)

Nick Mattson (D)

*Potential Early Departure (4): Gregoire, Kristo, Blood, Eidsness

Maybe a surprise like Cichy leaving for MJ or something like that.

If no early departures happen, that would leave us with 17 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies.

We'll be a younger team, but still very talented. Not as talented as this year...but sometimes those teams still go on to greatness. We'll easily have the best freshmen forward group in the nation with Grimaldi, Miller, MacMillan, St. Clair, O'Donnell, and Parks coming in. I would anticipate Grimaldi having a Zucker or Schwartz type of season for us.

Defense will be solid with Mac, Forbort, and maybe Blood being the anchors. Gleason will be the puck-mover. Mattson should get plenty of playing time as well. If Dell has another season like this year (tough to follow up this year), we could have another special team.

Go Sioux!

Would love to see Eidsness stick around another year so Gothberg gets another year in the USHL, hopefully being "the guy".

Agreed.

It would be nice to have Gothberg come in as a freshmen in 2012 when Dell is a senior and then take over the reigns when he is a sophomore (like Dell did this year).

Would love to see Eidsness stick around another year so Gothberg gets another year in the USHL, hopefully being "the guy".

According to Brian Faison, (I heard it from his mouth) Eidsness is graduating a year early, but will be back next year and in grad school.

There are a lot of guys who will tough to replace, but it has been done before. If Gregoire sticks around I could see him having a Frattin type season, I think a guy you may really notice a jump in level of play is Brock Nelson adding some muscle to his frame with an offseason in the Sioux weightroom will really help him and could make him a potential breakout player.

Im willing to bet Kristo is 99.9% gone. Hear he has given up on school and was just playin hockey.

Id say gregoire is around 90% gone. Might wanna finish his finance degree but with the money hed be making, hed be financing his teachers.

Edisness- God bless him. I think hes 50-50. Why not stay another year for free and get ur grad school paid for. His g.f also goes to und

Fobort- 10% chance in leaving. IM more worried about simpson

Blood- Havent heard much adorund the blood camp. Maybe the scours were watching last nite and felt he needed another year to play here.

Im willing to bet Kristo is 99.9% gone. Hear he has given up on school and was just playin hockey.

Id say gregoire is around 90% gone. Might wanna finish his finance degree but with the money hed be making, hed be financing his teachers.

Edisness- God bless him. I think hes 50-50. Why not stay another year for free and get ur grad school paid for. His g.f also goes to und

Fobort- 10% chance in leaving. IM more worried about simpson

Blood- Havent heard much adorund the blood camp. Maybe the scours were watching last nite and felt he needed another year to play here.

I haven't heard Simpon's name brought up before - why do you think that?

Seeing as though he didnt get as much playing time as he liked, means he probably didnt devolop as much as he wanted and this is his draft year if im not mistaken. Im willing to be his draft stock went down. Once he gets drafted, we will see but i could see him leaveing cuz of lack of playing time this year even though hes pretty much guarenteed a ton next year.

Do you guys see Forbort as a potential flight risk? At first glance you may say no, but we thought the same thing about Nick Leddy.

I see Kristo staying, much to my dismay.

I don't see Forbort leaving, but that's just my opinion.

Kristo will be a 40+ point guy next year if he stays, so whether you like him or not, he'll be one of our top scorers.

Kristo isnt staying. I been following Habs message boards and they want him ASAP. And he is pulling a dylan olsen and skipping school.

I have heard this as well. I am related to some huge Montreal Canadian followers in Winnepeg, that know more about the Habs than I can ever imagine (I don't know how they find out some of the NHL moves before they happen), but I got the word from them that it is only a matter of time before Kristo signs with them.

Please be wrong....please be wrong.....please be wrong..... :blush:

Forbort and Simpson will be getting all the ice they want next year. They'll both be top four D.

Kristo?

Montreal wants to spend money on a guy who doesn't have the maturity and decision skills to dress for a -30F wind chill stroll?

Montreal would be better spending money on an autographed copy of "I Woke Up and Took Command of My Life" by Matt Frattin and giving it to Kristo.

Someone should send a copy to TJ Oshie in St. Louis also (as he was recently suspended by the Blues).

• Upvote 1

Need an NHL draft guru here: If Gregoire stays four full years and isn't signed by August 1, 2012 doesn't he become a free agent?

If so, that'd be one way out of the dreadful NYI system.

Don't they need to be 25 yrs old? I think that's why Read stayed at BSU(?)

Didn't Chris Porter take this route? His bio seems to indicate such:

Acquired by STL: Signed as a free agent on August 21, 2007.

Drafted: CHI / 2003 NHL Entry Draft

His senior season ended in April 2007.

He was signed as a free agent by STL after August 15, 2007 even though he'd been a CHI draft pick.

That seems to be the rule in action.