SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Why is everyone even talking about recuiting? We all know as the Sioux we will not get any recruites. The sioux will always get recruitwes as the sioux because students have grwon up seeing fans and hearing about the University. Not just because of the name issues. By the way he sounds like a good recruite if only we were able to recruit.

First of all I disagree with everything you say on here. Secondly, I would suggest that instead of spending time on here that you either go back to HS and learn how to write or take a remedial English class so that you can even compete in your first year of classes at UND. I for one would not even admit you. I spent over 40 years hiring and firing folks in a Fortune 50 corporation and believe me with the skillsets you demonstrate on here you will be virtually unemployable. So go focus on something else and quit wasting everyone's time.

• Upvote 4

Why is everyone even talking about recuiting? We all know as the Sioux we will not get any recruites. The sioux will always get recruitwes as the sioux because students have grwon up seeing fans and hearing about the University. Not just because of the name issues. By the way he sounds like a good recruite if only we were able to recruit.

We recruited as a Dll. school if you do not remeber. I believe fans will jump aboard whenthey find out that the university stands up for its tradition. Not just for sports.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you are trolling this site, trying to get people worked up by pretending to be a UND fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided to just put this in a recruiting thread but I heard that when we were recruiting Doug McDermott, we told him that he would not be able to play right away. If this is true, it is just ridiculous.

Lets see McDermott is a sophomore correct? So who would he had been playing behind? If that statement is true that is rediculous. With the current sophomore class and with McDermott we would have been a definate top contender in the Big Sky the next 2 years.

We are showing some level of interest in another JC power forward, Kamren Belin. He is 6'7", 225. Originally from Altanta, he has played the last two years at Cowley County CC in Kansas. I don't have his stats but he did not earn any conference post-season honors. He was in the top ten in one category - offensive rebounds. This is a large league with two divisions and nearly 20 teams so his not having top-ten stats may not be a big deal.

He visited Stephen F. Austin last weekend and is only known offer is from them. I do not know if he has visited Grand Forks.

Let's see, Minnesota just had their boys BB tourney, 4 classes, 8 teams per class, 12 or more kids per team. Minnesota has provided starting players to numerous D1 programs, some outstanding players for years. Out of somewhere near 200 boys BB players in the tourney, UND, in a neighboring state, with a D1 BB program next year eligible for the NCAA tourney, came up with ZERO this spring (so far anyway)! That to me is totally amazing. In addition there are probably another 200 players on some good teams that did not make the tourney. Is this strange or what? We recruit Minnesota for FB, WBB, W and M Hockey, track, Baseball, softball etc., but ZERO MBB players. Am I missing something?? Doesn't Jones realize there is a state between ND and Iowa with talented BB players? You would think we would get one or two a year just by accident!!! There is some sort of HS BB event in Eagan in April with all the best kids invited. Does Jones plan to attend?

I was at the MN state tournament for one day- and there was a UND coach in attendance. Don't know if he was there for more than one day. Don't even know who he was looking at? Didn't even talk to him...why...because he was working. I believe Aaron Anderson is a Brooklyn Park Product. Nick Haugen was from Rockford. Mitch Wilmer is from Warroad and Brandon Brekke is from EGF. It seems to be hardly the case that they have ignored Minnesota. Simmer down francis.

• Upvote 1

I was at the MN state tournament for one day- and there was a UND coach in attendance. Don't know if he was there for more than one day. Don't even know who he was looking at? Didn't even talk to him...why...because he was working. I believe Aaron Anderson is a Brooklyn Park Product. Nick Haugen was from Rockford. Mitch Wilmer is from Warroad and Brandon Brekke is from EGF. It seems to be hardly the case that they have ignored Minnesota. Simmer down francis.

Haugen and Wilmer to me are not D1 talents. Anderson is valid as is Brekke and are pleasant surprises. I am talking about more legit midlevel D1 talent from the big suburban schools or inner city schools in the MSP area i.e. Anderson with size. Surely UND should be able to out recruit some of the small D1 schools that these kids go to in the Carolinas or the mid south. All I am asking for is one, maybe two big time kids out of the MSP/so. Minn. area each year, not a full roster. NDSU and UNI and other schools are doing it. As the closest major metro area to GF it seems ludicrous not to have a highly visible recruiting presence here every year. Only one D1 BB school in the state of Minnesota, got to be lots of kids showing interest in regional schools like UND with the BSC membership. I am too old to simmer down.

I realize that other d1 schools recruit there and have gotten talent there, but there are schools who have had their recruitment of some of those players questioned- of whether or not those kids were D1 talent. Turns out that talent has worked out andsometimes it hasn't. We got Aaron Anderson and hardly anybody was even on him, to my knowledge. From what I saw at the state tournament- there was some nice looking players, but there was a lot of blah too. First and foremost,I just want to see us get good players. I don't care where they are from- Buffalo NY, Milwaukee WI, Montreal, Ohio--honestly I don't care as long as they can play the game and are interested in getting this program better- they can be from Jupiter for all I care

• Upvote 1

I realize that other d1 schools recruit there and have gotten talent there, but there are schools who have had their recruitment of some of those players questioned- of whether or not those kids were D1 talent. Turns out that talent has worked out andsometimes it hasn't. We got Aaron Anderson and hardly anybody was even on him, to my knowledge. From what I saw at the state tournament- there was some nice looking players, but there was a lot of blah too. First and foremost,I just want to see us get good players. I don't care where they are from- Buffalo NY, Milwaukee WI, Montreal, Ohio--honestly I don't care as long as they can play the game and are interested in getting this program better- they can be from Jupiter for all I care

I really do not care where they recruit either, BUT, there are probably 15-20 legit D1 players each year in So. Minn. HS BB here is really a year round big deal with the Salvation Army gym summer league in St Paul, AAU programs, various camps etc. Wisc., U of Minn, Mich State and other Big 10 and midwest schools take most of the first liners, but there are others, perhaps a notch below the top players for the big time programs that UND should begin to start picking up. Anderson was one, but there are others and there is no reason that UND cannot recruit with UNI, NDSU, SDSU, etc. in this area. Maybe he is trying, but Jones may be missing out on a prime recruiting area only 300 miles away where a kid's family can travel and see them and they can get home on weekends. I am just saying it is strange, the small number of BB players UND gets from this area especially now as a D1 program. Perhaps the "hockey school" label is against us.

I really do not care where they recruit either, BUT, there are probably 15-20 legit D1 players each year in So. Minn. HS BB here is really a year round big deal with the Salvation Army gym summer league in St Paul, AAU programs, various camps etc. Wisc., U of Minn, Mich State and other Big 10 and midwest schools take most of the first liners, but there are others, perhaps a notch below the top players for the big time programs that UND should begin to start picking up. Anderson was one, but there are others and there is no reason that UND cannot recruit with UNI, NDSU, SDSU, etc. in this area. Maybe he is trying, but Jones may be missing out on a prime recruiting area only 300 miles away where a kid's family can travel and see them and they can get home on weekends. I am just saying it is strange, the small number of BB players UND gets from this area especially now as a D1 program. Perhaps the "hockey school" label is against us.

It also doesn't help when we don't have any scholarships available unless we take away one of the seniors right? How about we go get that Tyus Jones? Haha he is going to be a stud though.

It also doesn't help when we don't have any scholarships available unless we take away one of the seniors right? How about we go get that Tyus Jones? Haha he is going to be a stud though.

One? Have to be the worst top 6 seniors in D1 BB in the country. Take all 6 schollies away and start over. If they have 5 or more schollies for next year they better find some new talent to support this years sophs. Not optimistic about this program long term.

One? Have to be the worst top 6 seniors in D1 BB in the country. Take all 6 schollies away and start over. If they have 5 or more schollies for next year they better find some new talent to support this years sophs. Not optimistic about this program long term.

Sorry, the management of this program is really really frustrating to me. Cannot understand Jones approach.

Sorry, the management of this program is really really frustrating to me. Cannot understand Jones approach.

The management of this program has produced two conference titles and two post-season berths at the DI level. What more can you ask of fledgling DI team in transition?

Having said that, I'll admit that I feel that this year's team did not meet my expectations. But I also feel that one needs to consider the fact that for all intensive puposes, this year's team basically played two separate months of the season entirely on the road. That would not be easy even for a professional team much less a collegiate team who's core is made up of players that only have one year of experience at the level at which they play.

I admit that I've been a Brian Jones apoligist since he was hired (even though I was calling for his head after the loss to Mayville). But despite the inconsistent nature of his teams over his 6 year tenure, it should not be forgotten that his teams have participated in 3 conference championship games, winning two of them.

My thought is, knowing that he is able to win titles and recruit dynamic players like Emmanual Little, Earvin Youmens, Troy Huff, and Aaron Anderson says alot about his approach...................

I believe I heard someone tell me that since 2000, there had been something like 24 institutions that had transitioned to D1. Of the 24 only 5 were able to ever have a winning record during any of their 4 transition seasons. We are one of the 5. And we had winning records during 3 of those seasons. Uh, no offense- but I kind of want to see what kind of players this staff can bring in with the ability to tell players "hey, you're going to get a chance to qualify fou the dance every year you r here.".

The reality, is that this class-that is now the 5th year sr class- ask yourself this question... "when they were recruiting all these many years ago, how easy do you think it was then to sway a real quality kid to come for a 1 year shot at the tournament"? I'm sure they were hoping this class would be dominant, unfortunately it just hasn't panned out that way for a variety of reasons, whether it be injuries, just never flouished etc..

Now the I've felt they have brought some real quality since that class and it's shown in some good results. Have you talked to any of the players? Do you think they are satisfied? I would be shocked if this bunch would be.

This staff has some work to do- I'm sure they know that. I'm sure they are hitting the road in search of one or 2 guys that can help make this team better. I'm not afraid to give credit to the staff in that they are professionals- and they approach their work as such. It seems to me Ole that you don't want to believe there is any professionalism and they are somehow not doing their job. I would have to disagree with that as I've seen some good glimpses during what will go down in the history of UND basketball as the most difficult it's ever faced.

• Upvote 1

goodman, archer, and haugen's scholarships should go to three new juco big men and when i say big taller than 6'7"!! they got four years of free schooling and we not much?

This discussion has come up many times over the past year on scholarships being cut. I do agree this is a difficult decision and must be made. I do not agree on cutting Goodman loose. Of the 5 soon to be seniors if Goodman is healthy he is the best of this group. Goodman from what I understand has alot or rehab work to do but I like his game. I would definately give Goodman the opportunity and hope he becomes healthy. I believe this would be a good risk for the coaches. On the other hand I do agree with Archer, Haugen and I would also add Wilmer to the list. I'm sure all 3 will not be cut cause I dont think we will find 3 players in a short period of time but something needs to be done to bring in 4 and 5 position players.

I get frustrated when others do what I am about to do - provide half a story but ....

It appears one of the youngsters will not be back and at least one of the seniors-to-be will not be playing next year. That would obviously open up at least two scholarships. We are talking to a variety of recruits but no commitments yet.

This discussion has come up many times over the past year on scholarships being cut. I do agree this is a difficult decision and must be made. I do not agree on cutting Goodman loose. Of the 5 soon to be seniors if Goodman is healthy he is the best of this group. Goodman from what I understand has alot or rehab work to do but I like his game. I would definately give Goodman the opportunity and hope he becomes healthy. I believe this would be a good risk for the coaches. On the other hand I do agree with Archer, Haugen and I would also add Wilmer to the list. I'm sure all 3 will not be cut cause I dont think we will find 3 players in a short period of time but something needs to be done to bring in 4 and 5 position players.

My struggle with Goodman is whether he realistically has a chance to recover enough to play next year. If so, fine. If not, I'm not sure he warrants a fifth year on scholarship any moreso than Ashley Privatsky did on the women's team, who I believe got four years despite also being injured basically her entire career.

I get frustrated when others do what I am about to do - provide half a story but ....

It appears one of the youngsters will not be back and at least one of the seniors-to-be will not be playing next year. That would obviously open up at least two scholarships. We are talking to a variety of recruits but no commitments yet.

Can you give further details on who these players are?