SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs Michigan

AZSIOUX

Feeling much like the 1-0 loss to Denver in the regional a few years ago. Great chances, no goals

I cannot believe anyone is blaming Hak for this. Michigan probably played their best game and the Sioux didn't execute on the ice as well as they could. Result is very disappointing but it's the way hockey works sometimes.

Michigan doesn't get that one bounce and I like the Sioux's chances. Sioux generated some chances and had to work for everything they got. They didn't get that one bounce to the wide open net like Michigan got. Eventually this game goes to the Sioux but for that bounce.

It's a bum deal, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Let's also not forget that we've had Michigan's number in the NCAA's the last several years. They owed us like we owe BC. Tonight they got theirs.

God I hate Michigan but how can you not respect their execution of game plan.

Red had that team primed to play this Sioux team perfectly.

That and a hot goalie......dammmmmmmmmmmmmnnnit

Well it was fun,

Hobey would help ease the pain.

How many times have we heard "the other team executed their game plan perfectly"? When the $%## are we gonna execute our game plan in the Frozen Four? Sorry for the frustration.

In reading through this, I've seen a few people talk about being outcoached, ripping on Hak, etc. Please tell me, you F'ing geniouses...what could he have done differenty? In my opinion, the Sioux badly outplayed Michigan, just didn't put a point on the board. They were sloppy at times, but overall the Sioux controlled the game. I can already see the Hakstol bashing - and it's complete bull$%!#.

In reading through this, I've seen a few people talk about being outcoached, ripping on Hak, etc. Please tell me, you F'ing geniouses...what could he have done differenty? In my opinion, the Sioux badly outplayed Michigan, just didn't put a point on the board. They were sloppy at times, but overall the Sioux controlled the game. I can already see the Hakstol bashing - and it's complete bull$%!#.

If you call what I said in reference to Hakstol as "Hakstol bashing" then I don't know what to say other than it is just the facts. People are expecting him to bring a National Title back to Grand Forks and so far his teams haven't pulled it off. I'm guessing he's gotta have some results within the next few years or he'll be let go just like Doug Woog was for not winning a National Championship. Definitely can't rip on him though. The cookie just didn't crumble in the Sioux's favor tonight.

How many times have we heard "the other team executed their game plan perfectly"? When the $%## are we gonna execute our game plan in the Frozen Four? Sorry for the frustration.

Agree with your frustration

0 for 5 isn't what Sioux Hockey is all about

Well, this sucks. I felt like we dominated the game for almost the entirety. Gotta hand it to the UM goalie 40 plus saves and shut out the best team in the country. That was so hard to say. This is about the time I wish the frozen four was a 3 game series but nothing we can do about it. God this sucks. EEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...we played hard all year and couldn't hack it in the final game. Unfortunately, I don't think any amount of coaching could have saved us tonight. The boy's play in the first screwed us and we couldn't recover....the time off maybe did more harm than good for us.

Can't blame the loss on a lack of effort. The Sioux D made one misplay behind the net and it cost them a goal.

God I hate Michigan but how can you not respect their execution of game plan.

Red had that team primed to play this Sioux team perfectly.

That and a hot goalie......dammmmmmmmmmmmmnnnit

Exactly. Red had his boys plugging every passing lane and double-teaming the puck. The Sioux couldn't sustain any pressure. One shot and done. No opportunity to cycle the puck, no chance to get a greasy one in the crease. Got to tip your hat to a team that played really effective, but ugly hockey.

I cannot believe anyone is blaming Hak for this. Michigan probably played their best game and the Sioux didn't execute on the ice as well as they could. Result is very disappointing but it's the way hockey works sometimes.

Michigan doesn't get that one bounce and I like the Sioux's chances. Sioux generated some chances and had to work for everything they got. They didn't get that one bounce to the wide open net like Michigan got. Eventually this game goes to the Sioux but for that bounce.

It's a bum deal, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Let's also not forget that we've had Michigan's number in the NCAA's the last several years. They owed us like we owe BC. Tonight they got theirs.

Well said.

Very frustrating and disappointing loss, I can only imagine what it feels like for the team. This is a perfect example of what can happen in a win or go home situation, a goalie plays the game of his life and they get a lucky bounce here or there and thats it season over.

If you call what I said in reference to Hakstol as "Hakstol bashing" then I don't know what to say other than it is just the facts. People are expecting him to bring a National Title back to Grand Forks and so far his teams haven't pulled it off. I'm guessing he's gotta have some results within the next few years or he'll be let go just like Doug Woog was for not winning a National Championship. Definitely can't rip on him though. The cookie just didn't crumble in the Sioux's favor tonight.

Agreed, it almost seems normal now. Not really Hak bashing, he's probably the most baffled. We've managed to lose every possible way in the frozen fours, and yes the cookies have not been crumbling for us in the NCAA's for a while.

Question... couldn't tell from all the commercials, but did UND use a timeout to set anything up with extra attacker?

I waited the whole game for our big guns to take over. Seemed like we had some passengers tonight. The guys with the ugly helmets were in the passing lanes all night, but we seemed a little hesitant.

Tough way to end the year. Wasn't how I hoped the FIGHTING SIOUX would go out.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

First of all, I didn't reply directly to you. I quickly read through this thread to get a feel on how the masses were feeling after the loss, and predictably I found the typical horseshit posts that I would have expected. Believe me, I'm as pissed off as the next guy...I can't even tell you how this game made me feel. But none of that has to do with Hakstol and how he got "outcoached" or whatever you armchair quarterbacks want to call it. And to say Hakstol will be let go...what a joke. I expect a national title just like the rest of you on this board, but nothing that happened tonight was on Hakstol.

• Upvote 1

Every year North Dakota will have a great hockey team. That has always been true and will not change. This year was the first time in several years (probably since '05 at the Frozen Four in my hometown of Columbus) that I felt the team had a chance to do something truly special, to raise that Championship trophy for the first time since '00. Every year they have had a great chance, but this year seemed different to me, the boys deserved better tonight, but the first period did them in. Hope springs eternal, however, and I'm sure that next year will bring about another great run for the Fighting Sioux!

Thank you to a group of guys that played their hearts out the entire season. In the one and done scenario anything can happen. One goalie playing the hockey game of his life unfortunately ended our season.

Thank you so much seniors! It was a pleasure watching you play for my favorite team. :blush:

Trupp, Frattin, Malone, Marto, LaPoint, Davidson, Genoway.

• Upvote 1