SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD at UAH: Sean Johnson?

star2city

Good Find.

Hard to believe him leaving though. I have talked to him a few times and he lvoes it here. In fact he wasnt sure if his family would like it here so they rented a house. Then he started building a house out near Kings Walk and they just moved in to it over the winter. So i have a hard time beliveing he will leave but I guess you never know if the right opportunity arrives.

I wont miss him being the color guy on broadcasts tho lol.

Good Find.

Hard to believe him leaving though. I have talked to him a few times and he lvoes it here. In fact he wasnt sure if his family would like it here so they rented a house. Then he started building a house out near Kings Walk and they just moved in to it over the winter. So i have a hard time beliveing he will leave but I guess you never know if the right opportunity arrives.

I wont miss him being the color guy on broadcasts tho lol.

How much of the nickname stuff this winter has the people in the athletics dept. rethinking this is the place to be? It's a question that has to be asked.

How much of the nickname stuff this winter has the people in the athletics dept. rethinking this is the place to be? It's a question that has to be asked.

The biggest question for UAH is hockey. Since a conference affiliation might be near, seems Huntsville would need someone that knows that sport and Johnson would get there at just the perfect time. Doubt the other two applicants (Rice, W Alabama) know hockey people or the sport. UAH's past AD, who died of a coronary just after Christmas, knew hockey well. Also, UAH will be the host school for next year's Frozen Four in Tampa.

If UAH can get into a hockey conference, recruiting might actually be easier than many CCHA schools.

Huntsville already has an FCS school (Alabama A&M), so football isn't politically realistic. The Gulf South Conference may have to drop football, as it will have trouble fielding six teams, as North Alabama is almost certainly going DI.

It would be a real blow to the athletic department to lose Sean Johnson...................he is the one behind the deal with Fox College Sports, getting more football, basketball, women's hockey, and even volleyball televised, and getting Sioux basketball on the radio in Fargo.

Hope he stays for a long time................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

It seems Sean Johnson is a finalist for another AD job. This one at Northern Michigan.

Athletic Director finalists named

The three finalists are Forrest Karr, director of athletics at the University of Alaska Fairbanks; Sean Johnson, senior associate athletic director for external affairs at the University of North Dakota (UND); and David Diles, the director of athletics and chair of the department of physical education, recreation and athletics at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

• 3 months later...

Knew he would leave eventually... Johnson named new Angelo State AD

University of North Dakota associate athletic director Sean M. Johnson has been named athletic director at Angelo State University.

The school selected Johnson, who was sports information director at ASU 1994-1996, to take over for the retiring Kathleen Brasfield, over finalists Amy Champion, Greg Waggoner and current track and field head coach James Reid.

You will be missed. Good luck in San Angelo.