SiouxSports.com Forum

Dakota Student, The Editorial

redwing77

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, his buddy sits in the student section and obviously must be wearing something that tips people off that he isn't a Sioux fan. Then he gets mad because he and his buddy are taunted? Huh? What does he expect? A hug, a kiss and well wishes? He can have his opinion on swearing and so on and I won't fault him for that, but to believe that his buddy can sit in the UND student section with Gopher crap on and not be picked on is idiotic. The same thing would happen in any other arena around the country in any other sport. :silly:

Many of the people in these sections have no respect for the officiating crews on the ice and fans of other teams

What should we all do at games? Hold hands with the person next to us? Harrassing the refs is part of the atmosphere of the game, I get a kick out of the students taunting the ref. Sure, using cuss words is not the best thing to do, but the refs are not complaining, are they?

As for harrassing fans of the opposing teams, I would not expect anything less if I went to a game at someone else's stadium. A good example of this is the Sioux-Bison game this year. We were sitting behind some toga wearing NDSU fans and next to the band. It was hilarious listing to these two groups insult each other, it was all part of the game. If this guy cannot handle this, he should get a Dataflix subscription...

As for his suggestion that the REA deal with these occurances the way the NCAA says we should is a load of [naughty]. Soon the REA is gong to be serving tea and crumpets during breaks on the ice if people get their way. They are killing the excitement of the game! I thought the UM series went a long way towards restoring the old intimidation factor of playing in Grand Forks, these people need to suck it up...

Have this joker walk into Ohio Stadium, wearing Michigan apparel, then tell me how bad Sioux fans are. Or perhaps Yost, with a Mich. St. jersey.

I got a lot of crap at the Final Five the last three years for wearing my Sioux stuff, and I expect it again this year. Mr. PC-I'm gonna change the world-first year law student can...well, you know :silly:

They are killing the excitement of the game! I thought the UM series went a long way towards restoring the old intimidation factor of playing in Grand Forks, these people need to suck it up...

Suck it up....or better yet, STAY HOME. There are plenty of people to fill the seats at REA.

I think I will wipe my ass with this page of my Dakota Student.

I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote the letter was the SCSU fan sitting in 109. I lived in St. Paul for 2 years and went to several Sioux games at Mariucci (they played 2 playoff games one year). I always wore my Sioux jersey, and expected to get some crap from Gopher fans. However, I was never stupid enough to sit in the student section wearing a Sioux jersey. In my opinion the student section should be reserved for students supporting their University team.

As for the ref's, I don't agree with everything the students do, but it is a part of the game. Students harassing opposing fans and referees adds to the college hockey evironment. If that makes the students a disgrace so be it.

This is insane. Heckling the refs and the opposing teams' fans and players are part of the game. This is what makes it fun to go to games. And this happens all across the country, in every sport, in every division. Obviously these are the first sporting events that this guy has ever attended, other than the Law School Intramurals. Climb out of the shell buddy, this is what makes the atmosphere.

g0426616.gif

What a freakin' moron. You go to a hockey game, wearing another teams colors, sit in the student section, and not expect to take s**t? Hell, we were ruthless with opposing fans at old REA who sat in/near the student section. However, most of the time, you'd end up drinking with these same guys at Whitey's or Frenchy's.

Maybe instead of going to hockey games and honing his writing skills in letters to the editor of the Stupid, he should be studying for finals. God knows, he'll need all the help he can get. If he's that thin-skinned now, he's dead meat in the legal world. Perhaps instead of reading the purported rules of "fan conduct" he should brush up on, "You look wonderful in those pumps, ma'am." :silly::0

If that person want to go to a place where they are going to be subjected to profanity try the newman center or church. Where do they drag up these friggen morons. He must be Johnny Hoff's buddy...

I don't think Johnny Hoff would be that dumb to write a letter like that...........okay maybe he is and already had done so in the past. My fault

g0426616.gif

What a freakin' moron. You go to a hockey game, wearing another teams colors, sit in the student section, and not expect to take s**t? Hell, we were ruthless with opposing fans at old REA who sat in/near the student section. However, most of the time, you'd end up drinking with these same guys at Whitey's or Frenchy's.

Maybe instead of going to hockey games and honing his writing skills in letters to the editor of the Stupid, he should be studying for finals. God knows, he'll need all the help he can get. If he's that thin-skinned now, he's dead meat in the legal world. Perhaps instead of reading the purported rules of "fan conduct" he should brush up on, "You look wonderful in those pumps, ma'am." :silly::0

Well put. This guy needs to live in the real world.

As a SCSU fan that has been to a few games at UND I would say Englestad is no worse than any other hockey arena in so far as fan treatment goes. I have learned a few things regarding visiting fan "etiquette". Never, ever, under any circumstance, sit in the student section wearing anything but home team or at worst neutral colors!! Any other area you sit in, other than the visiting section with other visitor fans, cheer for your team, but only reasonably and at appropriate times. Do not respond to comments about your team unless they are actually questions. Be proud of your team but always remember that you are a visitor in their "home", AND, ....most of all....you are OUTNUMBERED!!!! Actually the worse arena I have found for poor visitor treatment is the Kohl center in Badgerland. Of course with their teams of late maybe they are just a little crabby. As far as the swearing goes, geez its hockey, tell that law student to go to a basketball game.

Believe it or not, I actually know this kid! :0 He did his undergrad at tUMD and I had Calculus II with him my freshman year. He was a whinning weenie then, and I see things haven't changed. He always wore his St. Cloud black jersey around campus and to hockey games at the DECC. He was pretty much a tool.

I hope UND fans are a little more hostile toward us Bulldog fans this year. Last year you guys were waaaay too cordial toward us, and even let us outcheer you guys to the point we made it into the Fargo Forum. :silly: Hopefully you guys will beak us a little more this year, and the best part is that afterward we can all laugh about it over a stiff Windsor at El Roco. :0

I wore the big, black Fighting Sioux leather jacket to Mankato last year. I knew what I was doing and got exactly what I expected to hear (plus a couple of compliments about the jacket).

When in Rome .... if you ain't doin' what the Romans are don't expect a friendly reception. (Or at a minimum, keep your mouth shut so they don't know you.)

Wear your team's colors outside the student section, but the student section is for people who are supporting the home team...or people who expect to be heckled and don't cry about it.

Hopefully at the next home game this guy gets yelled at even more...now that he has drawn attention to himself! Thanks for giving us another target buddy!