SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

Wonder if faison and co. can get someone to help sponsor the Alerus's field

it will look really bad if we dont

Rydell? Altru? Bergstrom?

Plenty of big Business's can do this. Make sure they get there check in before the end of the year like gate city for tax purposes though

Granted we arent going to get a million for it but anything helps

Huh.

I really hope UND/the Alerus doesn't drop the ball and NOT put the "ND" at the center.....

But they probably will drop the ball. ???

Why no MVFC logos for NDSU?

My best guess is that the MVFC will be painted on once the turf is installed. That way if we ever change conferences or the conference changes names, they can easily remove the logo rather than have a permanent one on the field from the factory.

So if UND doesn't chip in for this turf....The Alerus is basically getting no money from UND to use the field...as the turf will cost the Alerus $66,000 per Sioux UND home game based on the terms 10 year life expectancy.

I believe the UND pays the Alerus Center under $20,000 per home game....that's not a good business decision if they are going to lose over $40,000 per home game just to have UND play there.

Does UND keep the ticket sales? Or the Alerus?

http://www.wday.com/...ublisher_ID/30/

Story about tight timeline for approvals and construction, etc for new turf.

Based on quotes, it sounds like UND will not commit to playing football in the Alerus beyond the life of the new turf.

Another Grand Forks city council/Alerus Center committee fail. They had ten years to plan for this.

While the guy is hard to hear and understand what he is saying. I thought he made it sound like UND/GF want to amend the contract to make sure they are playing at the Alerus all ten years on the new turf. Unless I misunderstood, I didn't necessarily hear anything about UND not wanting to play at the Alerus Center after the new turf expires.

• 2 weeks later...

Some information I was able to find on the internet...

Award of contract.... No later than Feb. 8th

Final Completion of project.... 11:59 PM August 24

LD... $10,000.00/day

The turf conversion system shall allow the Alerus Center staff to install or remove the complete field within 2 hours, using 6 people or less.

Primary and secondary Big Sky logos are not part of the base bid. They are each separate add alternates.

I wonder how much start up capitol UND would need to start building a new stadium on campus? It sounds like they might be exploring that option sooner than everyone thinks. Also, what is the average lifespan of turf?

Think they have said the standard is 10 to 12 years.

I wonder how much start up capitol UND would need to start building a new stadium on campus? It sounds like they might be exploring that option sooner than everyone thinks. Also, what is the average lifespan of turf?

For the old-fashioned astro turf, I believe it's 5 to 10 years. For the newer field turf, I believe it's more like 10 to 15 years.

Some information I was able to find on the internet...

Award of contract.... No later than Feb. 8th

Final Completion of project.... 11:59 PM August 24

LD... $10,000.00/day

The turf conversion system shall allow the Alerus Center staff to install or remove the complete field within 2 hours, using 6 people or less.

Primary and secondary Big Sky logos are not part of the base bid. They are each separate add alternates.

The dates don't scare me at all. Contract awarded Feb 8. Figure the work starts Mar 1, so Mar-Apr-May-Jun-July: five months.

But what interests me is the "install or remove the complete field within 2 hours, using 6 people or less" requirement. That's a pretty good trick. How many and how long does it take now with the magic carpet system currently there?

Does anybody know if there has been any talk by the city to keep UND football there for the long haul? Can the Alerus be renovated in a way that it can grow to meet UND's needs? Or would it have to be torn down (stadium part) and built from the ground up? Just curious what the options are on the table.

Does anybody know if there has been any talk by the city to keep UND football there for the long haul? Can the Alerus be renovated in a way that it can grow to meet UND's needs? Or would it have to be torn down (stadium part) and built from the ground up? Just curious what the options are on the table.

supposedly it's designed for the endzone walls to be torn out and seating installed, or at least that was the rumor.

where would they do this? If they use memorial stadium, they should be able to get a pretty reasonable outdoor stadium in place for somewhere in the 30-40 million dollar range, seating 15,000 or so. I think tearing down memorial stadium and rebuilding from scratch would anger many people. While I would love football back on campus, I think the city would flip !@#$, and we definitely haven't demonstrated any need for a bigger stadium. I'm not sure how many times we have sold out the alerus, and I'm not sure if we have ever sold the place out for a non-ndsu game. Granted, you could say the same about the fargodome pre-2003. We'll see how next year goes for attendance.

supposedly it's designed for the endzone walls to be torn out and seating installed, or at least that was the rumor.

where would they do this? If they use memorial stadium, they should be able to get a pretty reasonable outdoor stadium in place for somewhere in the 30-40 million dollar range, seating 15,000 or so. I think tearing down memorial stadium and rebuilding from scratch would anger many people. While I would love football back on campus, I think the city would flip !@#$, and we definitely haven't demonstrated any need for a bigger stadium. I'm not sure how many times we have sold out the alerus, and I'm not sure if we have ever sold the place out for a non-ndsu game. Granted, you could say the same about the fargodome pre-2003. We'll see how next year goes for attendance.

I've actually seen conceptual renderings of a horse shoe stadium that would incorporate the existing memorial stadium that seats around 25,000-30,000, but I'm sure that would be more in the $70-$90 million price range. I would love to see an outdoor field but they would have to construct some sort of heating system to keep people coming during winter months.

Knock down the south wall for seating? Maybe.

Knock down the north wall for seating and you take out the Aurora Ballroom and the kitchen facilities for the conference center.

I've actually seen conceptual renderings of a horse shoe stadium that would incorporate the existing memorial stadium that seats around 25,000-30,000, but I'm sure that would be more in the $70-$90 million price range. I would love to see an outdoor field but they would have to construct some sort of heating system to keep people coming during winter months.

A stadium on the Memorial site was in some of the original renderings. It looks like the indoor training center renderings don't show it but leave space for it.

http://iconarchitects.com/projects/masterplan/indoor-practice-facility.html

A stadium on the Memorial site was in some of the original renderings. It looks like the indoor training center renderings don't show it but leave space for it.

http://iconarchitect...e-facility.html

No the renderings I saw were much older than this and included both an outdoor "horse shoe" field and a dome with a retractable roof.

Are you high?? Building a stadium for 25,000-30-000???!!!! Yeah, thats a great idea if you want to spend 80 million on a stadium that will be half full. Seriously. Fargo would struggle to fill a stadium that size for a game, and they have 3 times the population around Fargo than GF does. UND has acereaged under 9000 for football over the last 4 years. So I highly doubt that UND could convince the city and its taxpayers that a 30000 seat stadium would be justified. especially at that price!! Until the Alerus starts selling out on a regular basis, there is no need for a new stadium of that size.

• Upvote 1

http://iconarchitect...e-facility.html

No the renderings I saw were much older than this and included both an outdoor "horse shoe" field and a dome with a retractable roof.

I thought I said that. ;)