SiouxSports.com Forum

New turf at the Alerus

darell1976

The request for proposals for the new field turf are out and it looks like the endzones will have NORTH DAKOTA written in each. They will also be keeping the huge Alerus Center photos that span just under 30 yards apiece. They also have options to add the Big Sky logos at the 25 yard lines. The Big Sky logos looked to be in an odd location which is between the boundry line and the numbers. Maybe it's the common location for conference logos but it just seemed strange looking at it from above. The specific font and color of the endzone lettering will be determined by UND at a later date.

The request for proposals for the new field turf are out and it looks like the endzones will have NORTH DAKOTA written in each. They will also be keeping the huge Alerus Center photos that span just under 30 yards apiece. They also have options to add the Big Sky logos at the 25 yard lines. The Big Sky logos looked to be in an odd location which is between the boundry line and the numbers. Maybe it's the common location for conference logos but it just seemed strange looking at it from above. The specific font and color of the endzone lettering will be determined by UND at a later date.

In my best Homer Simpson voice, "Stupid naming rights contract."

There are a number of college football stadiums that have corporate names: Minnesota, Louisville, Oregon State and Texas Tech come to mind. I cant think of any that give the corporate name center field logo positioning (if any at all). Lame.

• Upvote 2

In my best Homer Simpson voice, "Stupid naming rights contract."

There are a number of college football stadiums that have corporate names: Minnesota, Louisville, Oregon State and Texas Tech come to mind. I cant think of any that give the corporate name center field logo positioning (if any at all). Lame.

Agreed. We all know where we are playing. Keep it simple. North Dakota in each end zone, Big Sky logo's on each side of the field, and the interlocking ND at the center of the field. Don't know why the Alerus Center logo's have to be so big and at midfield.

Same problem at the Fargodome. The Fargodome logo extends from one 25 yard line to the other. looks really lame. Every other team in college football has their team logo in the middle of their football field. Not sure why both North Dakota schools get the shaft from their buildings!!

• Upvote 1

Because the schools don't own the buildings. And the Al owns the turf. So why wouldn't they expect to have their name and logo on it?

I'm sure if UND ponied up the money to buy the new turf, they could have it look however they want.

My issue is the location of the Alerus Logos, no one else does it this way. They have every right to do it and I'm assuming that the logos location and size are detailed on the naming rights agreement.

Also, UND and Alerus Center are splitting costs for the turf project.

Is there a link or a pic of this?

small correction...the people of grand forks own the alerus. randy newman is the ceo of alerus i think and if someone could find his email we could get some emails going to him...also could someone with the knowhow find the naming rights agreement and see if it says anything about having to have the in your face alerus logo all over the turf?

• Upvote 1

Because the schools don't own the buildings. And the Al owns the turf. So why wouldn't they expect to have their name and logo on it?

I'm sure if UND ponied up the money to buy the new turf, they could have it look however they want.

Exactly. The Alerus Center wants to get their name and brand out their just like UND football does, especially on TV.

My issue is the location of the Alerus Logos, no one else does it this way. They have every right to do it and I'm assuming that the logos location and size are detailed on the naming rights agreement.

Also, UND and Alerus Center are splitting costs for the turf project.

The Fargodome does. And I assume others do to.

The Fargodome does. And I assume others do to.

At least the Alerus has a huge football helmet saying home of UND football outside the building; where the Fargodome has only a little NDSU on their ad sign in the NE corner of the parking lot or else the building only says Fargodome with their pinwheel.

At least the Alerus has a huge football helmet saying home of UND football outside the building; where the Fargodome has only a little NDSU on their ad sign in the NE corner of the parking lot or else the building only says Fargodome with their pinwheel.

Yes, the upgrades for Sioux football in the Alerus are definitely nice. The Murals, The banners, The thingy majiggy that runs around the field on the stands. I just wish they would do more significant renovations to the building. Windows on the West side to match the east...and maybe the south end zone....tile the floor so its not painted concrete....Sheetrock of the "tin." add a "club lounge." I love the outside...they did a heck of a job on the glass facade for the converence center entrance. Two thumbs up!

Bison fans like to say attendance is bad cause of the BSA. Could it be the same for the Alerus Center? Don't get me wrong I love the Alerus and am glad its built...I just wanted MORE money spent on it. And wih the first class Canad Inn attached to it (and it becoming a center piece for commercial development around it)...its time to truly make The Alerus a destination.

People in the Fargo area don't need to be told where the Bison play!

The Fargodome is a different animal as it is not beholden to a corporate sponsor, they just did it for giggles. Perhaps, there are others, but I haven't found one. This isn't the end of the world here, it's just odd to me.

Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt the contract with Alerus Financial makes the Alerus Center put the logos in the turf. My point being, even if it didn't have a corporate naming sponsor, like the Fargodome, you would probably still see "Aurora Center" on the turf....like the Fargdome does now.