SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching adjustments for the Title shot

yababy8

The good thing about the SiouxSports Forum is that it is free (in more ways than one) ha!

I feel compelled to throw out some of my observations before show time. Probably just to help the anxiety as a fan during this time before the big show starts.

Does anyone else have some burning thoughts on where the team is or what they are doing or not doing at this point?

I have a few observations that I just cannot hold back from throwing out there. Here is my biggest concern to get this topic fired up..

Genoway-

First of all, I probably should qualify what I am about to say with my overall view of Genoway.

-Genoway is the best skater with the puck on the team (Kristo would be second) and probably the best in the WCHA as well.

-Genoway is a master at advancing the puck out of the Sioux zone and through neutral ice as well.

-Genoway runs the point on the power play like a pro.

-It's my opinion that Genoway is one of the classiest Sioux hockey players probably ever.

-Genoway seems to be a great leader as well, although I am not one to judge that as I have no clue what happens off the game time ice.

Now having said all of that I feel compelled to make a very strong point about how Genoway is being used down the stretch.

Basically he is being used in two situations that he should not be IMO.

Here they are:

1. Genoway should not be on the ICE when the Pony Express line is on the Ice in a Five-on-five

situation. Here is why: As I stated above, Genoway is a master at moving the puck up

the ice. He likes to make his opponents

look silly with any type of trap or fore-check they employ.

So here is the problem, one of Frattin's biggest scoring

plays is when he takes the puck from the Sioux zone and skates hard through the

neutral zone and usually breaks past the defender of defenders (many times two)

and gets behind them for the shot. We

all know what I am talking about; we have seen it many times this year and

last.

So my point is that when Genoway is on the ice he tends to

be the one that breaks up the ice, even if it is just out of the Sioux Zone it

is screwing with Frattin's game. It takes away Fratten's break-a -ways and it

allows the defense to get up ice and get set before Fratten even touches the

puck- NOT GOOD!

2. The one 'weak' part in Genoway's game is defense in the Sioux Zone when the opponent has possession. (Denver plays on this weakness BTW). Once again, I love Genoway, and I see him try to overcome this weakness and I appreciate that, BUT if he is the great man I

think he is, he needs (and the Coaches need) to be honest with themselves about

this. Embracing ones weakness leads to self actualization and becoming a more powerful

person right?

So here are the solutions I suggest for Genoway's role:

1. Not on ice when Frattins line is on the ice

(five-on-five). Put Big Mac out with them. Big Mac is very good at the smart pass to Frattin or Trupp on the outlet. Let Genoway work his magic getting the puck

out of the zone when Gregs line is on the ice, and better yet when our checking

line (Lammy's line) is on the ice. Genoway will take the puck out of the zone after our guys break-up the opponent's

possession.

(Did anyone notice how Denver was maintaining possession in

their zone when the Poney Express line was on the ice?) That was not good; we

needed to have our big physical guys on the ice with that line, not puck moving

defensemen.

2. Don't play Genoway on the penalty kill. He just is not adding anything there, I hate

to say it but he is a liability on the penalty kill.

That's how I see it...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For Saturday:

1) Short shifts, forwards and defensemen.

2) More-equal playing time among the D.

3) Emphasis on "no-stickwork". Particularly since RPI is fast.

4) Move the feet. Goes hand in hand with stickwork.

5) Lay off the big hits, but finish checks.

For Sunday:

1) Breakouts: be less predictable on the first pass. Denver's second forward was cheating on Saturday, anticipating what our first pass was going to be.

2) Riding time: be more patient and work to wear down the short DU bench.

3) Puck support in neutral ice. Second guy near the puck carrier, and get it in deep if the rush is stopped.

For both games:

1) Enjoy the moment. You were meant to be here.

2) This is YOUR TIME.

Short shifts, get pucks deep, clear the puck from the front of the net. Line up at the blue line. Eliminate silly turnovers and do not turn the puck over in the defensive zone in front of the net between the dots. No stupid penalties... Fast through the neutral zone and don't let your man slip past you.

Edited by Goon

Stay out of the box! I posted this earlier a few weeks ago, but the Sioux have averaged over 25 penalty minutes per game in each of our 8 losses this season. In the games that were wins or ties, that average is 12 penalty minutes per game. If we can play disciplined enough to keep that number down around 10-12 or lower the next 4 games, I believe we hang #8!

This could be difficult considering the non-conference refs we'll see the rest of the way. (Why do I have a feeling we'll be seeing Shegos in at least a couple games?)

For Sunday:

1) Breakouts: be less predictable on the first pass. Denver's second forward was cheating on Saturday, anticipating what our first pass was going to be.

2) Riding time: be more patient and work to wear down the short DU bench.

3) Puck support in neutral ice. Second guy near the puck carrier, and get it in deep if the rush is stopped.

hey, you stoled my next topic! :lol:

I saw the same thing as your 1 &3,

We had way to many turnovers trying to get the puck through neutral ice.

Finally in the second OT, we started back passing when the pressure dictated.

We should have been more thorough in our passing choices when transitioning.

This is another reason to have Frattin and Genoway on the ice at separate times. More game time where you have a guy that can do very well NOT passing but carrying.

Not to be a stickler, but if you are going to offer "advice" it is wise to spell names correctly. It is FRATTIN (with an "I") not FRATTEN (win an "E"). Otherwise, fair assessment

Oooops! Fixed it..Good point you make but me spelling Frattin correctly will not get the Sioux a championship.:D

You should have seen my writtings before spell check! lol

1. Play with discipline, no after the whistle garbage. (this plays into staying out of the box, as others have mentioned)

2. On odd man rushes, don't get too cute. A goal on a rebound counts the same as a perfectly sniped corner.

3. Carry the puck into the zone, less dump and chase - particularly on the power play.

4. Play confidently with a lead. Play to win, not to not lose.

agreed, the pk is several points lower than last year. Not sure why they took Lapoint of PK and replace with Genoway. With Lapoint and others without genoways services, they had the 4th rank pk unit. This would get genoway off the ice and get some rest, as he was on the ice for 4 of the 5 goals last weekend which landed him an award. They will need to stay fresh with RPI speed, keep feet moving and avoid needless penalties.

You can't knock Genoway in any way without a -1....everyone does it to me. I actually agree with everything the poster said.

I think we need to play simple, smart hockey.

Our biggest problem is when we try to play too physical to prove a point. Not only are we prone to more penalties, but the team finds themselves out of position way too often when it happens. Just play positional hockey.

Also, don't watch the puck when in front of your own net, play the bodies. This costs us too often.

Seemed to work in 2OT last weekend????

First, I'm not saying that the Sioux will never score when Genoway is on with that line. I'm saying it is duplicitous to have Fratten and Genoway on the ice together, as they both are the best at bringing the puck up the ice. Both cannot do their thing at the same time. It's kind of a time and space time argument I guess :silly:

Second, Genoway did not carry the puck to the offensive zone in the play you are speaking of, Trupp did.

Third, Genoway was not even on the ice when Trupp brought the puck in the zone. He trailed from the bench.;) ;)

First, I'm not saying that the Sioux will never score when Genoway is on with that line. I'm saying it is duplicitous to have Fratten and Genoway on the ice together, as they both are the best at bringing the puck up the ice. Both cannot do their thing at the same time. It's kind of a time and space time argument I guess :silly:

Second, Genoway did not carry the puck to the offensive zone in the play you are speaking of, Trupp did.

Third, Genoway was not even on the ice when Trupp brought the puck in the zone. He trailed from the bench.;) ;)

I know what you are getting at and I have been critical of Chay as much as anyone on the board (except for cbcsioux). But he was on the ice and it was his the rebound from Chays point shot that Frattin buried for the OT winner. Bottom line is Chay needs to be a little more conservative, especially when the Pony Boys are on the ice.

The Sioux just can't let anyone get a cheap goal on them. They need to keep their opponents in front of them, never giving them an odd-man rush or breakaway opportunity.

Make the opponent earn every goal, like the PP goal CC scored against us on Friday. Not many teams could have stopped that, it was a beauty that they earned. Just don't give up the cheap stuff.

The good thing about the SiouxSports Forum is that it is free (in more ways than one) ha!

I feel compelled to throw out some of my observations before show time. Probably just to help the anxiety as a fan during this time before the big show starts.

Does anyone else have some burning thoughts on where the team is or what they are doing or not doing at this point?

I have a few observations that I just cannot hold back from throwing out there. Here is my biggest concern to get this topic fired up..

Genoway-

First of all, I probably should qualify what I am about to say with my overall view of Genoway.

-Genoway is the best skater with the puck on the team (Kristo would be second) and probably the best in the WCHA as well.

-Genoway is a master at advancing the puck out of the Sioux zone and through neutral ice as well.

-It's my opinion that Genoway is one of the classiest Sioux hockey players probably ever.

-Genoway seems to be a great leader as well, although I am not one to judge that as I have no clue what happens off the game time ice.

Now having said all of that I feel compelled to make a very strong point about how Genoway is being used down the stretch.

Here they are:

1. Genoway should not be on the ICE when the Pony Express line is on the Ice in a Five-on-five

situation. Here is why: As I stated above, Genoway is a master at moving the puck up

last.

puck- NOT GOOD!

2. The one 'weak' part in Genoway's game is defense in the Sioux Zone when the opponent has possession. (Denver plays on this weakness BTW). Once again, I love Genoway, and I see him try to overcome this weakness and I appreciate that, BUT if he is the great man I

this. Embracing ones weakness leads to self actualization and becoming a more powerful

person right?

(five-on-five). Put Big Mac out with them. Big Mac is very good at the smart pass to Frattin or Trupp on the outlet. Let Genoway work his magic getting the puck

line (Lammy's line) is on the ice. Genoway will take the puck out of the zone after our guys break-up the opponent's

possession.

defensemen.

2. Don't play Genoway on the penalty kill. He just is not adding anything there, I hate

That's how I see it...

Having Mac on the ice with the Frattin line but not wanting Genoway is going to be tough since they are paired together and I don't see that changing this weekend. In my opinion since Genoway has come back from the knee injury he has been terrific and hasn't seemed to be trying to do too much and letting things come to him.

• Upvote 1

Genoway-

Here they are:

last.

puck- NOT GOOD!

person right?

possession.

defensemen.

That's how I see it...

I posted last week that Genoway was a defensive liabilty (tying goal Saturday night ring a bell he got caught again with his breezers down) and my post got taken down. Genoway is a plus 7 so with all his points he still has a plus 7? Means he has been on the ice when a lot of goals have been scored against UND. Simply take him off the blue line, since he does not play there too start with, and make him a forward and leave Marto on the blue line if they want to beat Denver. Genoway will be on the ice when Denver scores the winning goal. Will this be the next one taken down?

• Downvote 4

To respond to all the Genoway talk... he is not one of our best defensive dmen... we have Blood, Mac and Forbort who do that very well. He is a puck mover, it is an integral part of a team, and a major downfall of alot of teams who spend too much time in their defensive zone. A player like Genoway will become even more valuble during this playoff run, BUT I think that we need to roll 6 dmen all game. Don't start double shifting, we don't need to, we have 6 VERY good defensemen (actually 8, but whos counting ;) ) . And though I've been a Genoway supporter all along, I can't disagree that the PK isn't his strong suit. We have guys like Mac, Blood, Lapoint, etc. who thrive on the PK, so lets use that depth. I think there are a few keys that will keep the Sioux playing for 4 more games...

-play the game that's got 30 wins so far, don't change what you are now. Play solid defensively in front of Dell, he will make the stops he needs to, limit the opportunities. Play the hard, aggressive forcheck/cycle that keeps offensive zone time, wears down the opponent, and has worked all year to create plenty of offense.

-stay out of the box. the Sioux will get their penalties, don't take the ill advised, stupid ones to add to it. the Sioux are better than ANYONE 5x5, the more of that the better.

-seniors keep leading. this group of seniors has lead by example more than any I have seen in recent memory. if the Sioux are to keep rolling, the seniors need to keep dominating.

Go Sioux!!! Lets get a couple of big wins this weekend so I don't have to watch a bunch of teams I don't like at the X!

I feel the Sioux are much better defensively with Marto on the blue line. A lot of things were hosed up last weekend because of Gregoire's absence. Get Gregoire healthy & Marto back on D and not much else needs to be tweaked in my opinion.

...I think that we need to roll 6 dmen all game. Don't start double shifting, we don't need to, we have 6 VERY good defensemen (actually 8, but whos counting) .

I'd also say we need to keep rolling all four lines. That luxury

IMO it is all about "compete" right now. We have all of the pieces, but we need to win individual battles, a loose puck should be as good as ours.

Agree with the poster on having Marto on D. Our best team has Marto on the blueline.

Execute on the little details: We weren't as good on the faceoffs last weekend, and the Knight and Trupper open nets need to get burried this time of year. Those guys fiish 99% of the time. They need to focus.

fast legs win games this time of year, so keep em fresh and keep the feet moving.