SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2011

gfhockey

Hammy of GPL is reporting that Aaron Ness is leaving. Hes pretty reputable so ill take his word for it.

I wonder if Ness is just the first of a few Gophers to bolt early. Panthers are not pleased with Bjugstad's development and Alt could follow Leddy. Should make for an interesting off-season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where do you have it that Panthers are not pleased with Bjugstad's development? I wouldn't be shocked if he left, but he gradually improved from the start of the season until the end of the season. There is not one thing wrong with the way Bjugstad developed this year coming from HS.

See ya Ness. Another Gopher d-man flop. EDIT: Although he gradually got better every season, not at an accelerated pace. And terrible in the Defensive zone. Expectations were much too high on this young kid and I wish him the best.

I wonder if Ness is just the first of a few Gophers to bolt early. Panthers are not pleased with Bjugstad's development and Alt could follow Leddy. Should make for an interesting off-season.

What? Says who? Coming into last weekend he had 14 points in his last 14 games. He came straight from high school and missed a month early in the season due to mono as well. Since he's a 1st rounder I wont be shocked if he leaves but it wont be because he's not developing.

Ness turned down an offer last year so thats no shock at all. I dont think Alt is going anywhere.

What? Says who? Coming into last weekend he had 14 points in his last 14 games. He came straight from high school and missed a month early in the season due to mono as well. Since he's a 1st rounder I wont be shocked if he leaves but it wont be because he's not developing.

Ness turned down an offer last year so thats no shock at all. I dont think Alt is going anywhere.

Clearly just random speculation taken for fact. Happens often here and other blogs and drives me nuts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sources close to the family are saying the Panthers are pushing hard for him to leave. I guess it isn't about Lucia/Gophers but more about them wanting him to develop on a smaller sheet of ice. He is only a freshman and obviously has some strong ties to the program so most likely he stays. Still you have to think he is around for one more year at best.

No one thought Leddy was leaving at the end of last season either. I don't have any reason to think Alt is going anywhere, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

I agree with Bjugstad improving steadily this year. I thought he was clearly the best skater for the Gophers over the last couple months. If not for Patterson, he would have been their best player.

It's a bummer about Ness if true. I think he could come around and be a good two-way blue-liner next year for UM. The tough seasons will continue if they can't keep their D recruits until they mature.

Well, I heard on KFAN that the Panthers aren't pleased with his development because at times they didn't like that he wasn't used in his natural position, the center position and they put him on the wing for a while. But... I think he was back at center towards the end? Maybe a Gopher fan can verify this. THere was a prospect article apparently where they commented on this. I think that's why they aren't happy with his development at the U. But I think he'll stick around because he has the opportunity to play an increased role next year for the Gophers at center and I'm sure the Panthers would like to see how he does with more responsibilities. Again, I don't watch the Gophers enough to know how much playing time and responsiblities he had.

• Upvote 1

Well, I heard on KFAN that the Panthers aren't pleased with his development because at times they didn't like that he wasn't used in his natural position, the center position and they put him on the wing for a while. But... I think he was back at center towards the end? Maybe a Gopher fan can verify this. THere was a prospect article apparently where they commented on this. I think that's why they aren't happy with his development at the U. But I think he'll stick around because he has the opportunity to play an increased role next year for the Gophers at center and I'm sure the Panthers would like to see how he does with more responsibilities. Again, I don't watch the Gophers enough to know how much playing time and responsiblities he had.

Let me preface this by saying 1. I know you didn't say that so I'm not running you down and 2. I know it's not confirmed. However, I'm pretty certain that if it's not happening in Bjugstad's case, it is happening/has had happened in other players' cases.

But holy crap. If his coach feels he is needed at wing instead of centre because they're thin there, or because he's struggling there, or for whatever reason it's better for the team he's on NOW rather than a team he may be on in the future, that coach has the responsibility to put that player in that position, GMs be damned. College hockey is not an NHL farm team and our coaches are not the puppets of the GMs. EVEN IF they look like hedgehogs.

Gross. I defended the Gophers.

Hammy of GPL is reporting that Aaron Ness is leaving. Hes pretty reputable so ill take his word for it.

Hammy is a drama queen and an a self serving attention seeker. Hammy is the same guy that referred to Schlossman as being a lackey for UND hockey.

Let me preface this by saying 1. I know you didn't say that so I'm not running you down and 2. I know it's not confirmed. However, I'm pretty certain that if it's not happening in Bjugstad's case, it is happening/has had happened in other players' cases.

But holy crap. If his coach feels he is needed at wing instead of centre because they're thin there, or because he's struggling there, or for whatever reason it's better for the team he's on NOW rather than a team he may be on in the future, that coach has the responsibility to put that player in that position, GMs be damned. College hockey is not an NHL farm team and our coaches are not the puppets of the GMs. EVEN IF they look like hedgehogs.

Gross. I defended the Gophers.

Glad you did so I didn't have to. Close call there...

Hammy is a drama queen and an a self serving attention seeker. Hammy is the same guy that referred to Schlossman as being a lackey for UND hockey.

You are pretty much right on there, but that doesn't discount that his facts about players/recruits are generally dependable.

Melvin and I are on the same page here.

Dagies, I'm here for you. Defending college hockey sometimes means defending our enemies.

Regarding other teams: Justin Faulk is pretty much a goner. So is Jake Gardiner.

I'm sure you can add Gregoire to that list as well.

Melvin and I are on the same page here.

Dagies, I'm here for you. Defending college hockey sometimes means defending our enemies.

Regarding other teams: Justin Faulk is pretty much a goner. So is Jake Gardiner.

What? Signing professional Deal after next weekend?

No, we'll need him to play for us in the Frozen Four.

I am surprised that you caught that one after my post in another tread about your team losing in the Final Five and the Quarter Finals went unnoticed.

After watching Gregoire the last month or so, I'd be very pleasantly surprised if he was back next season.

I'd love to see it, but I'm not sure...

3rd round pick...if he goes pro, he goes to the AHL...why bother...play college one more year, then go to the AHL

BTW...love JG...ridiculous two-way forward...could play in the NHL one day...having a 30 goal, 50 point 2012 would help...

Well, it wasn't unnoticed, I just ignored it.

Do you really think that faulk will be one and done...I think he is an uber-talent and will be a pro player, its just that dmen usually take 2 years minimum to develop, even the excellent ones...

Forwards develop faster, and even Jonny Toews and ZPar stayed at UND for 2 a piece.

I think Faulk should call Taylor Chorney and talk about college vs the minors....

Do you really think that faulk will be one and done...I think he is an uber-talent and will be a pro player, its just that dmen usually take 2 years minimum to develop, even the excellent ones...

Forwards develop faster, and even Jonny Toews and ZPar stayed at UND for 2 a piece.

I think Faulk should call Taylor Chorney and talk about college vs the minors....

He's quit attending class. I think you are right and I would kill to have him for another year. But...