SiouxSports.com Forum

House Bill Passes Senate 28-15

Predator

Is there anything in the bill regardig the effecitve date? If not, then it is August 1, 2011, assuming the Govenator signs it. The "retirement" date for the nickname is August 15, 2011, right?????? The timing of this kinda mucks things up, but we will definetely be hearing more about all of this in the days, weeks, and months ahead.

Anybody know any "good" attorneys? :(

This, my friend, is the million dollar question. Dalrymple signs this, it opens several cans of worms, but he also assures, IMO, a hefty support in his future campaigns. SIGN IT GOVERNOR!!!! SIOUX FOREVER!

Both the Senate and the House votes show enough support to override any Governor veto.

The Bill will become law.

There may be constitutional questions, but who will have standing to bring those issues to court?

Both the Senate and the House votes show enough support to override any Governor veto.

The Bill will become law.

There may be constitutional questions, but who will have standing to bring those issues to court?

Now nickname supporters need to focus on the proposed legislative referendum to amend the ND Constitution to essentially eliminate the SBoHE. If that bill passes (not even sure where it stands right now), then the question becomes whether there is a June primary election this year. Don't know that personally right now either. If so, then will the question be put on that ballot, or will it or does it HAVE to be a question for the general election ballot because it could amend the ND Constitution--again, not sure on that. Even if a June ballot question, and assuming it passes, when does that measure become effective? Again, not sure. But, for know, the SBoHE would have standing because of its constitutional stature and power to control ND colleges and universities. Like I said earlier, this is is long from over--ya, I know Sicatoka--major understatement.

Anybody got time to do some research this weekend?!

North Dakota, the only area in the country that doesn't bow to Political Correctness Zealots, Take that Ron His Horse Is Thunder, Robert Kelley, Brian Faison, Jesse Taken Alive, Max Schneider and the

rest of you nay sayers. Majority rules, Fighting Sioux forever.

• Upvote 1

He would be committing political suicide if he doesn't sign it.

Pretty sure he doesn't have to sign it and I doubt he will if he doesn't have to. The bill is just way too divisive and has the potential to create some nasty debates when it comes to the legislature vs the SBoHE. It also sticks UND with the nickname and does nothing to solve the problem with the NCAA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not trying to fan the flame but I have a few questions:

1. This does not require the AG to sioux the NCAA. What happens if the AG refuses to do this.

2. If the AG did sue the NCAA, what happens if when the AG loses the lawsuit (like before)

Is it possible that this vote will keep the nickname but in return UND loses all home playoff games from here on out?

Now nickname supporters need to focus on the proposed legislative referendum to amend the ND Constitution to essentially eliminate the SBoHE. If that bill passes (not even sure where it stands right now), then the question becomes whether there is a June primary election this year. Don't know that personally right now either. If so, then will the question be put on that ballot, or will it or does it HAVE to be a question for the general election ballot because it could amend the ND Constitution--again, not sure on that. Even if a June ballot question, and assuming it passes, when does that measure become effective? Again, not sure. But, for know, the SBoHE would have standing because of its constitutional stature and power to control ND colleges and universities. Like I said earlier, this is is long from over--ya, I know Sicatoka--major understatement.

Anybody got time to do some research this weekend?!

The question wouldn't be put on the ballot until the next general election in November 2012. You can find the text of the bill here: http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/62-2011/documents/11-3095-01000.pdf

The info about the date is on line 16. Also, the constitutional change would not go into effect until January 1. 2015. This info is in section 6 at the end of the bill.

The AG's lawsuit against the NCAA will be in Federal Court and will include Intellectual property infringements, Gordie Caldis, GF Attorney was right all along,

the original action should have been in Federal Court, with the precedent of the Central Michigan Chippewas being followed. Bring a constitutional claim if you

dare SBoHE, those individuals know the overwhelming tide of distain that they will be forced to endure if they make that move. What a great day in Fighting Sioux

History, what a great day for North Dakotans, and even more so, what a great vindication for the people of the Spirit Lake tribe.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure he doesn't have to sign it and I doubt he will if he doesn't have to. The bill is just way too divisive and has the potential to create some nasty debates when it comes to the legislature vs the SBoHE. It also sticks UND with the nickname and does nothing to solve the problem with the NCAA.

Vote breakdown and a quote from the Gov saying he plans to sign the bill

http://northdakota.areavoices.com/

Not trying to fan the flame but I have a few questions:

1. This does not require the AG to sioux the NCAA. What happens if the AG refuses to do this.

2. If the AG did sue the NCAA, what happens if when the AG loses the lawsuit (like before)

Is it possible that this vote will keep the nickname but in return UND loses all home playoff games from here on out?

1. You are right. The bill only requires the AG to consider suing the NCAA. He does not have to sue the NCAA. The AG has hinted that beacuse of his role in the previous lawsuit on behalf of the SBoHE and because of the constitutional questions this bill raises, he may have a conflict of interest and recuse himself from making that consideration. I'm not exactly srue how that works, but I think outside counsel would be retained to act as a Deputy AG . But I could be wrong on this.

2. The AG did not lose the previous lawsuit. It was settled. If the NCAA places UND back on the sanctions list and the State sues the NCAA and loses, presumably UND would simply stay on the sanctions list (i.e. wouldn't be able to host playoff games).

As to your final point, it's possible but not certain. Lots of variables left to be sorted out.

The AG's lawsuit against the NCAA will be in Federal Court and will include Intellectual property infringements, Gordie Caldis, GF Attorney was right all along,

the original action should have been in Federal Court, with the precedent of the Central Michigan Chippewas being followed. Bring a constitutional claim if you

dare SBoHE, those individuals know the overwhelming tide of distain that they will be forced to endure if they make that move. What a great day in Fighting Sioux

History, what a great day for North Dakotans, and even more so, what a great vindication for the people of the Spirit Lake tribe.

I know next to nothing about IP Law. If someone knows something about it and sees a path toward successful litigation, please share.

North Dakota, the only area in the country that doesn't bow to Political Correctness Zealots, Take that Ron His Horse Is Thunder, Robert Kelley, Brian Faison, Jesse Taken Alive, Max Schneider and the

rest of you nay sayers. Majority rules, Fighting Sioux forever.

This is a multidimensional situation, with many question marks remaining...but i LOVE your statement. I'm proud to be a North Dakotan!!!