SiouxSports.com Forum

Thought Hiring Idalski Was A Bad Idea?

lomackman

PROUDSIOUX -if im wrong about idalskis, i will write a public apology in the heard in teh voices section... April13, 2007

A lot of people were on Idalski's butt before he even got to UND, and haven't been willing to admit he is turning the program around.

One season with twins any team could win at doesn't make a coaching career.

Who's to say Steve Johnson wouldn't be further along by now and ranked #1 in the country with the twins.

If he wins a championship in three years this might not be such a stupid topic.

Who's to say the twins would be at UND if Johnson was coach?

Exactly. And whos to say they would have never went to Minnesota had Johnson been coach.

I didn't care who was really hired back then. Still don't have a dog in the fight.

But lomackman seems to hold a grudge/chip on shoulder/ or something. He/she brought the topic up back in October of this year.

It seems like many here thought Idalski was the wrong pick and Steve should have gotten the job. I don't think at the time Steve had finished his degree yet. Looks like the right pick was made.

You would have thought they would have won something. I just like pointing out the fact that they really haven't done anything. Make history yes, but these things should have been done way long time ago. They made history many times this year but still only finished fourth in the league out of eight. In their 9th year of existance?

Could you imagine cheering the Mens team if we finished 6th out of twelve? :lol:

Last year in Idalski's third season the Sioux women were picked to finish third to last in the preseason WCHA poll. But actually finished in last place with a 4-16-2 record!

The year before that: third to last in the conference.

And before that: Second to last in the conference.

The fact is to the average person looking in Idalski doesn't deserve praise (yet?), yet let along argue what hypothetical coach might have been better.

To put this season in prospective - He had the two best players in the country walk in unsolicited. We still don't have the supporting cast to be a top contender. This team is still a work in progress - evaluate this team if he didn't have the twins. That is what he has managed to recruit in the past 4 years. What we have now is a work in progress. I hope we can finish putting the pieces together. We have a nice team this year, but I'm not sure it is because of Idalski. Still some work to do.

Actually, the team played noticeably better and was noticeably more competitive as soon as Idalski took over...versus when Ms. Rivard was at the helm, despite their unfavorable finishes in the WCHA standings. Even before the twins took the ice in the Sioux uniform. I know some will probably comment it's not saying much regarding my reference to Rivard. You've got a pretty significant group of impact players on the way for 2011-2012. I'm not a huge fan of Idalski but I believe with the talent he can meet Sioux fan expectations.

Considering the recruits we have committed it takes time to turn around a program. Granted the commitment of the Lamoureux twins expedited the program. Now we are getting commitments from the top recruits in MN and ND. In 2011 and 2012 we are going to be a top 5 team.

Idalski has the right girls on the bus for the future now. Thats all that matters.

You're forgetting that the three in front of us in the WCHA have won every conference championship, tournament and NCAA championship. Ever.

You're forgetting there is only something like 34 teams in D1 womens hockey. Based on that its easier for a program to win a national championship than say Men's basketball (and the reason you will never see UND win one).

UND should already be one of those programs to win a conference chamionpion, tournament, or NCAA championship.

This is the programs 9th years (I believe). It ain't no infant.

Here's a crazy stat for you UMD won a NCAA championship in the Second year of its existance! :ohmy:

I call that a good coach.

You have to give Idalski some credit. They went 3-1 against the Gophers, a team they had never beaten before.

UND should have already beaten the Gophers more then zero times before this season. 0-28 is pretty despicable. The mens team started out better against ever team they faced.

If you had seen the team play 4-5 years ago, you would know the improvements that Idalski has made simply by the players he has recruited. (outside of the Twins!)

Gah.

Very easy to make improvements when the last coach was god awful. The program regressed during her time. Players not only quit on her mentally but physically.

The face remains that Idalskis teams has placed lower in the WCHA standings ever year than the preseason polls predicted since becoming the head coach of the Fighting Sioux except this one (which they got 4th instead of the predicted 5th) with last, second, and third to last place ever since he has been here.

Everyone knew the twins could basically take over any team and make them an instant winner.

Getting the Lamoreaux sisters to come here could pay immediate dividends and legitimize our program instantly. If not, it could be years and years before it happens. ;)

You don't think Steve Johnsons fourth year and with the Twins he could have at least finished in 4th out of 8th place? The basic topic of this thread. A hypothetical coach of sioux womens vs the real coach. :silly: (again I have nothing for or against Idalski or Johnson).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Exactly. And whos to say they would have never went to Minnesota had Johnson been coach.

I didn't care who was really hired back then. Still don't have a dog in the fight.

But lomackman seems to hold a grudge/chip on shoulder/ or something. He/she brought the topic up back in October of this year.

You would have thought they would have won something. I just like pointing out the fact that they really haven't done anything. Make history yes, but these things should have been done way long time ago. They made history many times this year but still only finished fourth in the league out of eight. In their 9th year of existance?

Could you imagine cheering the Mens team if we finished 6th out of twelve? :lol:

The fact is to the average person looking in Idalski doesn't deserve praise (yet?), yet let along argue what hypothetical coach might have been better.

Since you use a hypothetical... I will too .....I could imagine cheering the Mens team if we finished 6th of 12, if prior to that, we had been perennial cellar dwellers like Michigan Tech, which is pretty much what the Sioux Women's team was during the pre-Idalski years. So, I think in that context, it is call for some celebration among Sioux fans. You will never hear Idalski or his team saying that, though. In their minds, they've done squat and have their eyes set on bigger prizes.

I wasn't aware people were as much against hiring Idalski as they wanted Steve Johnson. I believe he is doing a good job but we still have a ways to go. I think Steve Johnson would have done a good job as well. IF he didn't have his degree then he should not have be hired but at this point they are getting better.

Yes I can imagine cheering for the mens team if they finished 6th. We cheered for them when they were a lot worse than that. Sat and Sun the crowds weren't that good and that includes the student section. If I dont' use my tickets I give them away to someone who will use them. Can't the students do the same? The turnout at Sat basketball from the students was pathetic.

We seem to be the self proclaimed best fans in college hockey. If that is the case we will support the team if they are 6th. I read comments on this board is that some won't cheer if we lose the name and logo. Now some won't cheer if we don't win enough games. I believe that would be called a fair weather fan. I think it also confirms my point that the logo and name (which I like and would like to keep) really is not as important as winning. The college athletic events are a great part of the college experience. You won't look back on your college experience and wish you hadn't attended these events. Cheering and (when appropriate) booing your own team and harrassing the opposition and the refs was always a blast. We did it at hockey MBB, WBB, and baseball games. Don't forget the Animal House reference to going through life drunk, dumb and fat.

Have fun, go Sioux!

Here's a crazy stat for you UMD won a NCAA championship in the Second year of its existance! :ohmy:

I call that a good coach.

Ah...that had a little something to do with having a European Olympic All Star team. Miller is a good coach. Other than that she sucks.

Considering the recruits we have committed it takes time to turn around a program. Granted the commitment of the Lamoureux twins expedited the program. Now we are getting commitments from the top recruits in MN and ND. In 2011 and 2012 we are going to be a top 5 team.

Idalski has the right girls on the bus for the future now. Thats all that matters.

From Brad's blog we have these kids coming in:

Michelle Karvinen, F (Olympian and will immediately be a top-20 player in all of NCAA, IMHO, next season)

Leah Jensen, F (Had 49 goals, Class A All-State team from EGF)

Layla Marvin, F (29-35-64 regular season, 2010&11 state champion Warroad, 7-2-9 in this year's tournament, Class A All-State team)

Lisa Marvin, F (25-44-69 led 2011 state champs as a sophomore, Class A All-State team)

Kayla Gardner, F (Also had 62 points for Warroad, Class A All-State team)

Shannon Kaiser, F (Had 39-19-58 for Crookston, Class A All-State team)

Cecilia Ostberg, F

Josefine Jakobsen, F (I saw on the television broadcast UND/UM that she was leading the swedish elite league in goals and points)

Marissa Salo, F (NAHA)

Klara Myren, F/D

Andrea Dalen, F/D

Sam Lashomb, D (Lost to Warroad in championship game, led her team as a defender with 25-28-53, Class A All-State team)

Shelby Amsley-Benzie, G (Still in the running for Ms. Goalie I believe, outstanding career numbers, Class A All-State team)

I don't feel like hunting the numbers down for the other euros but would be willing to bet that because of Idalski and Elander that they have stolen a few from Shannon Miller and Minnesota Duluth.

Shelby Amsley-Benzie, G (Still in the running for Ms. Goalie I believe, outstanding career numbers, Class A All-State team)

I don't feel like hunting the numbers down for the other euros but would be willing to bet that because of Idalski and Elander that they have stolen a few from Shannon Miller and Minnesota Duluth.

Nope...Minnetonka's Julie Friend was chosen "Senior Goalie of the Year."

Miller no longer has a stranglehold on top Euros. Quite a few have gone to other programs the last few years. A good thing. She still gets a good number of Canada's best though.

I think everyone has to take into consideration that not only was Rivard a bad coach, she put the UND women's program in a hole for years to come. During her tenure a poor team culture set in that had to be overcome. For those that don't remember, this involved dumping a few players that had been on the team under Rivard but did not make the cut under Idalski. Whoever the new coach was coming in they were in a hole. You just don't bring in players to fill a roster and then reject them or withdraw their scholarship later like a certain WI coach. So they were short until they could start rebuilding. Rivard put the women's program in a negative position to potential players. That momentum had to be overcome before forward progress could be made. I believe the twins have said as much. They wanted to come to UND but chose to go to MN until the coaching situation had settled down. It probably would have been easier starting from scratch than repairing the program.

Idalski has proven himself in a very short period of time after taking over a program that was beyond rock-bottom thanks to Shantel "I can't get any Olympians" Rivard. All she did was whine and moan and complain about how bad her team was and how she couldn't get "The Olympians" like Minnesota and Minn-Duluth did. Idalski has gone out and hired assistant coaches that have recruiting connections and that is starting to pay some big dividends for us. We have locked up a majority of the top recruits in Minnesota's Section 8 and that will help establish a talent pipeline that will continue to supply our program with talent for years to come. And people forget, this is a very young team and will only get better. I can see a year when both of our hockey teams win NCAA titles. That seemed impossible just a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Michelle Karvinen, F (Olympian and will immediately be a top-20 player in all of NCAA, IMHO, next season)

Leah Jensen, F (Had 49 goals, Class A All-State team from EGF)

Layla Marvin, F (29-35-64 regular season, 2010&11 state champion Warroad, 7-2-9 in this year's tournament, Class A All-State team)

Lisa Marvin, F (25-44-69 led 2011 state champs as a sophomore, Class A All-State team)

Kayla Gardner, F (Also had 62 points for Warroad, Class A All-State team)

Shannon Kaiser, F (Had 39-19-58 for Crookston, Class A All-State team)

Cecilia Ostberg, F

Josefine Jakobsen, F (I saw on the television broadcast UND/UM that she was leading the swedish elite league in goals and points)

Marissa Salo, F (NAHA)

Klara Myren, F/D

Andrea Dalen, F/D

Sam Lashomb, D (Lost to Warroad in championship game, led her team as a defender with 25-28-53, Class A All-State team)

I know some of the girls that have played against some of these girls and I gotta tell ya that they are good.....but not great. I have seen them play. Every time they have played them they have either beat them or tied them. Shelby Amsley-Benzi is the real deal though. Tough goaltender. Leah Jensen is the real deal too. She goes not-stop. The Marvin girls I am not so sure.Good players but not outstanding. Kayla Gardner can be good and has an absolutley wicked wrist shot. The Salo kid I really haven't seen play. The Kaiser girl too is good but not great. In my opinion, since we have gotten the twins, you have to compare any recruits coming in to them because they have set the standard. IMHO, these girls are not even close to the Lamarouux's. Now that is not to say that they won'thave great careers at UND.