SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Playoffs Opening Round

dakotadan

Sioux host Bemidji State in WCHA first round

The eighth-ranked Fighting Sioux host Bemidji State in the first round of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs. The first round is a best-of-three series with the winners advancing to the Final Face-Off at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis, Minn. Games are being held at Purper Arena and are scheduled for Friday and Saturday at 7:37 p.m. and Sunday at 7:07 p.m. if necessary.

Not only are the ladies ranked #8 in the nation right now, but they sit in the #8 spot in the pairwise. Barring any big upsets in the conference tournaments, UND would be the eighth and final team into the NCAA tournament. But the ladies still need a good showing in the WCHA tourney to help hold that spot.

The ladies are 2-1-1 against BSU this season. The first meeting of the season was back in November in Bemidji. The ladies lost 1-2 and tied 1-1 without the Lamoureux sisters in the lineup. The Sioux swept the Beavers in Roseau/Grand Forks in January 5-2 and 6-2.

Of note, BSU finished in 5th place last year also and went to fourth place SCSU and upset them to make it to the WCHA's Final Face-Off. Let's make sure that doesn't happen again.

Not only are the ladies ranked #8 in the nation right now, but they sit in the #8 spot in the pairwise. Barring any big upsets in the conference tournaments, UND would be the eighth and final team into the NCAA tournament. But the ladies still need a good showing in the WCHA tourney to help hold that spot.

Ok, just trying to figure out this women's tournament stuff (frankly, it's never come up before!)

I see that the RPI ratios for women's more favor the team's performance than SOS [thumb's up] and that there are at most 12 TUCs (if any TUC is <.500, they're dropped, seemingly without replacement).

You say it's an 8 team tournament, what's the format? I assume it's a final four in a pre-determined spot, so there must be one opening game? Is that on-campus or pre-determined?

Ok, just trying to figure out this women's tournament stuff (frankly, it's never come up before!)

I see that the RPI ratios for women's more favor the team's performance than SOS [thumb's up] and that there are at most 12 TUCs (if any TUC is <.500, they're dropped, seemingly without replacement).

You say it's an 8 team tournament, what's the format? I assume it's a final four in a pre-determined spot, so there must be one opening game? Is that on-campus or pre-determined?

Based on last years bracket...it appears that the quarterfinals are played on-campus (higher seed).

The other women's game today is huge for UND. Game 3 of the ECAC quarters, Dartmouth versus Clarkson. Dartmouth is just behind UND in the pairwise and the only team that can still flip a comparison and move into the top 8.

As long as UND wins tonight, it should make the NCAAs if Cornell wins the ECAC tourney and either BU or BC wins the Hockey East tourney. UND can't really move up from 8th, so it would have to win the autobid to be assured of making the NCAAs. If that doesn't happen, then it's a matter of pulling for the favorites in the other leagues.

Hopefully the team gives a more inspired performance than last night, and with the season on the line I would expect it. It would also be nice to see a decent crowd at Purpur. I'd guess there were only about 500-600 last night, with about 50-100 of them Bemidji fans.

Dartmouth won their game over Clarkson today (and momentarily jumped UND in the Pairwise), so the season rides on tonight's game. That should be all the motivation the team needs.

Shoot....and Clarkson had the lead in the third period. Its all in their hands tonight. Win and keep playing hockey, lose and stay home.

They're going to win tonight though!