SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

The Mollberg kid from Detroit Lakes is making visits to Northern Illinois and Iowa this month. Off Coord from Iowa thinks he has big time arm and may be good find on a kid under the radar.

Not good - he appears to be at the top of our list of QB prospects!

Not good - he appears to be at the top of our list of QB prospects!

The Big Sky fiasco may have doomed our chances. This kid would have been an ideal fit if he doesn't go to Iowa or N. Illinois. No way any kids commit if we don't have a conference and some stability with very few exceptions. The delay in our practice faciltiy is also a hinderance. NDSU will be sending a big thank you to the state legislators who screwed up the name issue for UND. I would guess they are giddy down in the cow pasture.

The Big Sky fiasco may have doomed our chances. This kid would have been an ideal fit if he doesn't go to Iowa or N. Illinois. No way any kids commit if we don't have a conference and some stability with very few exceptions. The delay in our practice faciltiy is also a hinderance. NDSU will be sending a big thank you to the state legislators who screwed up the name issue for UND. I would guess they are giddy down in the cow pasture.

Fully agree - this will be bad. Hopefully, not a disaster!

Can someone update/refresh my knowledge on the practice facility? I thought that was a done deal and underway. Obviously I am not informed.

I think I'm out of the loop a bit, what Big Sky fiasco?

According to a tweet by Dom Izzo of WDAY (citing something called goldensports.net), Joe Mollberg will commit to NDSU if an Iowa offer doesn't happen.

Damn - another tough one to lose! I wonder how much the FS issue is hurting us in recruiting.

Damn - another tough one to lose! I wonder how much the FS issue is hurting us in recruiting.

Does not matter, we have hockey and get to play UM and UW for two more years. After that UND could be another Northern Tech State college of Irrelevant Independence, but we could still be the Fighting Stupids. What is the status of the FB practice facility? I thought this was a done deal 2 years ago?

Seriously, I am really disappointed if this is true. If it is the name and the BSC jeopardy then it is really a sad situation. If it is some other reason then so be it. Move on. I just hope this name issue goes away and soon.

No, hockey will be directly affected when Minnesota and Wisconsin leave the WCHA for the Big Ten and their "moniker policies" stop them from scheduling the Fighting Sioux. Remember, the only reason UMn and UWi play UND today is that they are in the same conference. When that's no longer true they won't play us. I do not believe they are bluffing as their liberal presidents and boards set the school policy.

I agree with that. What I meant by indirectly is that the collapse of the other sports (due to loss of the Big Sky) would cause deprivation to the entire athletic program in terms of national reputation. This would slightly hurt the hockey program, but there is no question losing Minnesota and Wisconsin due to conference changes would more directly and devastatingly hurt the hockey program. Also, the only reason I mentioned NDSU in my previous post is due to recruiting

Also, SFI tweeted that UND is NOT out of the running for Mollberg.

Here is what we still have going. First of all ,I think we will be in the Big Sky. Either the NCAA will change their mind (I don't see that happening) or we will drop the name.

Mollberg and his family aren't stupid. He wants to work with special needs kids. UND has a minor in special ed. NDSU has nothing in special ed. Usually one would major in either early childhood ed, elementary ed, or secondary ed with with a minor in Special Ed., UND offers a masters in special ed also. At NDSU if he wants to major in elementary ed. he gets his degree through Valley City State. His parents are teachers. Unless they and Joe have lost their minds or he has decided to major in Agriculture, Pharmacy or Engineering (I didn't cover everything) they don't have much else to compare with the quality of academics UND offers, especially business and accounting, nursing, Physical therapy, athletic training, medicine law, geography, aviation, etc. and clearly UND offers more to a future educator. His parents are two hard working innovative educators and although they all are likely attracted to the thought of only having to go to Fargo for games, I am sure his Dad (who played at Minn Duluth) sees the opportunity at UND of playing as a redshirt freshman or Soph vs playing behind Brock Johnson, then the Bismarck High kid then Wentz the 6' 5" QB coming in this fall from Bismarck Century. I have been told Bohl talks to the kid frequently (which is a violation of NCAA recruiting policy , unless the kids calls him) and I am sure hasn't discussed much about academics with the kid. They will likely tell him they can offer more than UND can academically and expect him to adjust his major to fit their programming. If he and his folks believe that then they aren't as smart as I thought.

I would bet that Bohl has also pointed out to him and all recruits that are considering UND that UND won't have a conference and will be sanctioned by the NCAA. I would too if I were in their camp. That won't happen by the time Joe plays at UND so it is a non-issue for him. He has a great opportunity to step in at QB and lead UND into the D1AA or FCS division and that should be pretty exciting. The tradition of UND QB's is long and storied. He can be one of them and have a special place in the history of UND FB.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure but you can not question that kids desire and love for the game. Those are not bad guys to have on any team as they lead by example. I hope he gets his chance and enjoys every minute of it.

Regarding us needing a DE I was thinking yesterday hopefully the DE out of Waphaton is one of the added recruits to last years class. We are thin and young at that spot and getting someone with some game experience to provide some reps and competition would not hurt. While I think a few of our young guys are very capable, our DL play is so important to the success of our 3-4 scheme.

Wiki has been updated with all info I have found or others have posted, I think. Quite a few of the kids we have offered have received other offers. If anyone knows of any additions, revisions, etc., please post it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyler Fahey, OLB from Park Ridge, has been offered. Google search has tape

Thanks for the update. That kid plays with a great motor. He'd look very good playing in the 3-4 as he fits the mold of the very athletic LB's we have had in the past and have recruited the last few seasons.