SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Library

gfhockey

Grand Forks Library  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Are you supporiting the May vote of increasing Grand Forks Sales Tax up 1 percent to 7.75%?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Downtown is very "vibrant." A lot more than it was 30 years ago. It keep becoming more vibrant all the time as developers keep building down there.

City leaders don't want a library in a mall. They want a Library they can show off. They should build it on 42nd near the Alerus, another building they like to show off.

Instead of looking an hour south, look an hourish to the West of Grand Forks. It might turn your frown upside down.

and with that said, here is a thread I started over a decade ago on SiouxSports, that I'm sure you'll find interesting.

? Go on please 

8 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

? Go on please 

Get out your google maps. Set the destination 1.2 hours west of GF. Drop a pin. Draw a radius from that point to include 50 miles. Look at any or all towns.

I would guess Grand Forks is growing faster. And I would guess that is what moser's metric is above all else. Population growth. 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Downtown is very "vibrant." A lot more than it was 30 years ago. It keep becoming more vibrant all the time as developers keep building down there.

City leaders don't want a library in a mall. They want a Library they can show off. They should build it on 42nd near the Alerus, another building they like to show off.

Instead of looking an hour south, look an hourish to the West of Grand Forks. It might turn your frown upside down.

and with that said, here is a thread I started over a decade ago on SiouxSports, that I'm sure you'll find interesting.

Fargo just took FedEx air away from Grand Forks: Put that down in the "Hurt" column.

Census numbers from the 2005 thread. Metro

2000 GF 97000. Bismarck 94000. Fargo 174000

2015 GF 102000  Bismarck 131000. Fargo 238000

GF has had the poorest growth of any city over 50000 I believe in the Dakotas, Minnesota, Manitoba, Saskatchewan

Weather like cities

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Construction jobs down by 24% in Grand Forks in the last 12 months. More than all other 358 similar cities in the US.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/news/4399751-grand-forks-metro-lost-most-construction-jobs-us-last-year

Cratter  what nfo is the restaurants industry looking at to come to GF?  24% down would scare me.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Construction jobs down by 24% in Grand Forks in the last 12 months. More than all other 358 similar cities in the US.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/news/4399751-grand-forks-metro-lost-most-construction-jobs-us-last-year

Would be more interesting to see a 5-10 year trend. A lot of these companies were having a string of record years, benefiting from a handful of things, including the boom out in western ND. I'd be more curious how this year's number relates to historical baselines, though there is no doubt construction was down overall in Grand Forks last year. However the pace it was going at wasn't sustainable, so a drop isn't a surprise, though that amount might be more than expected.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Would be more interesting to see a 5-10 year trend. A lot of these companies were having a string of record years, benefiting from a handful of things, including the boom out in western ND. I'd be more curious how this year's number relates to historical baselines, though there is no doubt construction was down overall in Grand Forks last year. However the pace it was going at wasn't sustainable, so a drop isn't a surprise, though that amount might be more than expected.

GF has spent the last 20 years rebuilding from a flood.  We've rebuilt. Only 5000  growth in population in that time catching up to us. No growth no  build.

On February 7, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Cratter said:

Jamestown paper eh there's state leaders from there. .Year 1971 playing BB for the GFC Redskins we played against a couple of really good  players from Jim Town. Doug Beaudoin and Dale Krueger. Me and my good friend Steve Vodden ND State Legion Player of the year in 1972 were off the team the first time we played Jim Town and our team lost there. 

We got picked up for minor in possession open bottle on our way to see Alice Cooper in Crookston Mn. It wasn't my idea to go to that concert!  We were off the team for 6 weeks.  Jim Town came to GF and played us with me and Steve back on the team we played them at Red Rivers gym' back then we Central played some of our home games there. We beat them by about ten points.

We were the defending state champs and our best player from the year before Glen Hansen was off to Utah State with Dale Brown and then to LSU. Anyway we thought we could win state again. In the Northeast Region tourney to qualify for state we had to beat Red River again we had beat them the 2 times we played earlier that year. We were ahead by 27 points and lost the game. Season over. We had 4 guys foul out me first. Bob Eaglestaff  and Don Gunhus were good players that year.

Jamestown played for the state championship that year and they lost to Minot on a last second shot by Wayne Whitty 65-64.Earlier that we beat  Minot by 20 at Red Rivers gym. Stuff you. Never forget.

On February 8, 2018 at 10:08 PM, moser53 said:

Jamestown paper eh there's state leaders from there. .Year 1971 playing BB for the GFC Redskins we played against a couple of really good  players from Jim Town. Doug Beaudoin and Dale Krueger. Me and my good friend Steve Vodden ND State Legion Player of the year in 1972 were off the team the first time we played Jim Town and our team lost there. 

We got picked up for minor in possession open bottle on our way to see Alice Cooper in Crookston Mn. It wasn't my idea to go to that concert!  We were off the team for 6 weeks.  Jim Town came to GF and played us with me and Steve back on the team we played them at Red Rivers gym' back then we Central played some of our home games there. We beat them by about ten points.

We were the defending state champs and our best player from the year before Glen Hansen was off to Utah State with Dale Brown and then to LSU. Anyway we thought we could win state again. In the Northeast Region tourney to qualify for state we had to beat Red River again we had beat them the 2 times we played earlier that year. We were ahead by 27 points and lost the game. Season over. We had 4 guys foul out me first. Bob Eaglestaff  and Don Gunhus were good players that year.

Jamestown played for the state championship that year and they lost to Minot on a last second shot by Wayne Whitty 65-64.Earlier that we beat  Minot by 20 at Red Rivers gym. Stuff you. Never forget.

I had to go into my scrapbook to fact check myself  Sportswriter and the man who made the Red Pepper famous Bruce Tellman wrote the article. If Bruce had lived to see what has gone on with UND my voice would be a whisper compared to.his.People would have paid attention to him. The excuses made to justify the cuts at UND  would have been challenged in my opinion.

i'm talking about GFCs my teams loss to Red River to go to state. 3 starters fouled out not 4. The biggest lead we had was 25 not 27. Steve Vodden was Legion player of the year in 71 not 72.

Louie Bogan former player and head Basket Ball Coach was the inaugural Coach when the Hislop opened up in 1951.he coached for 11 years then Bill Fitch came to UND and we know about his great career. 

Louies son Dan Bogan played for Red River in that game he shot 18 free throws.. Every time we got close to him they called a foul on us. Dan went on to play QB at Mayville State. He lived his life in Oklahoma City. He had his own pest control company. He passed away about 5 years ago. A good guy.   

m

On 2/7/2018 at 12:28 PM, moser53 said:

GF has spent the last 20 years rebuilding from a flood.  We've rebuilt. Only 5000  growth in population in that time catching up to us. No growth no  build.

Grand Forks' problem is that it doesn't have a significant corporate presence.  Fargo is the distribution center for the state, has major ag and wind related manufacturing, and had a major corporate breakthrough with Great Plains Software.  Bismarck doesn't have much corporate presence either, except MonDak and Basin Electric, but state government has grown much over 40 years.  Grand Forks badly needs a homegrown Polaris, Arctic Cat, Marvin Windows, or DigiKey.

Part Timer Mayor Brown still pushing for a new library:

"For the next few months, don't talk about location or whether to rehab or build new," he said. "Instead, discuss one question: How can the library inspire the next generations of our community?"

He quoted philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who said "A library outranks any other one thing a community can do to benefit its people. It is a never failing spring in the desert."

Did Carnegie says this before the popularity of a school system was a thing.

• 1 month later...

Here’s a thought

for all the people that want or use the library make em payfor it fundraise for it

lpok at what gf hockey association did. Two new arenas built and payed for by fundraising. Also the teams that use it have to pay quite a bit to use it!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Here’s a thought

for all the people that want or use the library make em payfor it fundraise for it

lpok at what gf hockey association did. Two new arenas built and payed for by fundraising. Also the teams that use it have to pay quite a bit to use it!!!

but is a library a right or a privilege....?