SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs Gophers

AZSIOUX

he took a shot after the whistle up high from stephen johns from notre dame, but he seemed to be fine after that. Weird his injury occurred the week following that game.

thanks, i just couldnt remember the game

The key this weekend is all about intensity. Can the Gophers match what the Sioux will surely bring. Watching the games this weekend against Robert Morris and how the Sioux brought it without the fans really into it, you know its going be a good weekend. This rivalry the past 2-3 seasons has been basically one sided on intensity, so I look for the Sioux to continue the trend.

I think we'll see a 6-2 win Friday night for the Sioux in white and a 3-2 win for the Sioux in BLACK! Dell of course both nights. As long as the Sioux can put home 3+ its a win for the Sioux at home with Dell. He's just so consistent. Gophers have had issues matching our energy and I'd be really surprised to see them match it this weekend.

The key this weekend is all about intensity. Can the Gophers match what the Sioux will surely bring. Watching the games this weekend against Robert Morris and how the Sioux brought it without the fans really into it, you know its going be a good weekend. This rivalry the past 2-3 seasons has been basically one sided on intensity, so I look for the Sioux to continue the trend.

I think we'll see a 6-2 win Friday night for the Sioux in white and a 3-2 win for the Sioux in BLACK! Dell of course both nights. As long as the Sioux can put home 3+ its a win for the Sioux at home with Dell. He's just so consistent. Gophers have had issues matching our energy and I'd be really surprised to see them match it this weekend.

I think if the Sioux come out from the drop of the pick and run them out of the building they will fold... Hit everything that moves, get a body on them... Gophers are pathetic on special teams this season and are 10th on the PP and 11th on the power play that means UND can capitalize on their brutal PK... I would also recommending putting that body on C-Piss every chance he gets, make it hurt, I am not saying run head into the end boards but don't give him an inch... His antics bore me, drama queen and diver... The Gophers are a Euro type finesse team and they don't wants nothing to do with UND. The Gophers are something 1-3-2 their last 6 games...

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

I can see us coming out flying and the Goophers flat on Friday and then us struggling while the Goophers play for what pride they can muster on Saturday night. I still see us winning but it will not be easy.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree...when he plays, he is the "it" factor in most the games. Without him, the 4th line has been almost no existent. The kid, with Rodwell and Mario, was a terrific line on Friday.

Glad to see that someone else has had the perception as well.

I realize how much of a stretch it is to make this assertion regarding the effect a 4th line, part-time, walk-on, role player like Davidson has on the Sioux.

I just think his size and physical talent are a game changer. Here is why:

If you breakdown our forward lines and consider how our opponents must struggle with the size and strength of the Malone and Fratten's, then if you add in a Davidson with Lammy on the ice when they are not, you pretty much take away any chance there might be to get a few painless minutes with the puck.

ie, Davidson is a guy that will make sure there is no opportunity for a momentum shift to happen while the Fratten, Malone and Trupp line is off the ice. And that role should not be underestimated.

• Upvote 1

Having Gregoire with Knight and Kristo on the second line gives the sioux two number one lines. No offense to Marto, who has been sensational for the sioux skating up front, but you don't replace a guy like Gregoire.

I like how people are discussing the importance of the fourth line. IMHO this is the best lineup the sioux have:

Trupp-Malone-Frattin

Gregoire-Knight-Kristo

Rodwell-Lamoureax-Davidson

Hextall-Nelson-Rowney

Blood-Genoway

Forbort-MacWilliam

LaPoint-Marto

I lot of people like Cichy with the Hextall line, but I think Rowney has proved that he can contribute with those guys. Simpson is young, he'll grow and contribute as he gets older.

He must've gotten some good news from the M.D.s then...that would be great!!

Gregoire and Knight together are so effective together...I've wondered about putting Rodwell with them in the Malone role

Not that I don't love Hexy, but Rodwell's size and speed are pretty top end.

What if we rolled:

Malone with Frattin and Trupp

Knight with Rodwell and Gregoire

Lammy with Davidson and Rowney

Nelson with Hexy and Kristo

That is some serious depth and scoring potential...Nelson with Hexy and Kristo is more talented that most team's first lines...

Having Gregoire with Knight and Kristo on the second line gives the sioux two number one lines. No offense to Marto, who has been sensational for the sioux skating up front, but you don't replace a guy like Gregoire.

I like how people are discussing the importance of the fourth line. IMHO this is the best lineup the sioux have:

Trupp-Malone-Frattin

Gregoire-Knight-Kristo

Rodwell-Lamoureax-Davidson

Hextall-Nelson-Rowney

Blood-Genoway

Forbort-MacWilliam

LaPoint-Marto

I lot of people like Cichy with the Hextall line, but I think Rowney has proved that he can contribute with those guys. Simpson is young, he'll grow and contribute as he gets older.

Were close to the same page, with Kristo, Rodwell and Rowney just being juggled...same 12 forwards in...I'd also play the 6 d you have and pair them identically to what you've shown

The Gophers play a finesse game.

The Gophers have one of the best divers in DI Hockey in Jacob Cepis. Yup.

I'm predicting a split.

When and where? Ya gotta admit, that was a long time ago. Remember when they used to play good hockey? I hope they bring their A+ game to the Ralph. As much as I like the big W on our side of the board, I enjoy a good hockey game more.

Saying they play a finesse game and pointing out they have one of the best divers in D1 hockey is a bit of an oxymoron, doncha think? :lol:

Given the history between these teams a sweep is plausible but is it reality? Has anyone on this team played a winning season? Maybe, the seniors?

When and where? Ya gotta admit, that was a long time ago. Remember when they used to play good hockey? I hope they bring their A+ game to the Ralph. As much as I like the big W on our side of the board, I enjoy a good hockey game more.

Saying they play a finesse game and pointing out they have one of the best divers in D1 hockey is a bit of an oxymoron, doncha think? :lol:

Given the history between these teams a sweep is plausible but is it reality? Has anyone on this team played a winning season? Maybe, the seniors?

On the Gophers? Well, Jay Barriball is a 5th year senior so he was on the Gophers team that we beat in OT in Denver to go to the Frozen Four when it was in St Louis. Wasn't that Gophers team ranked number one a lot of that season? The rest of the seniors had a winning season the following year, but they sneaked into the NCAAs that year with a good performance at the Final Five, and I don't know if that necessarily qualifies as a good season. Perhaps, but not by Gopher standards. I'd say Barriball is the only guy on the Gopher team that knows winning.

On the Gophers? Well, Jay Barriball is a 5th year senior so he was on the Gophers team that we beat in OT in Denver to go to the Frozen Four when it was in St Louis. Wasn't that Gophers team ranked number one a lot of that season? The rest of the seniors had a winning season the following year, but they sneaked into the NCAAs that year with a good performance at the Final Five, and I don't know if that necessarily qualifies as a good season. Perhaps, but not by Gopher standards. I'd say Barriball is the only guy on the Gopher team that knows winning.

Yes, I meant the Gophers. :blush: I also meant to type that a 'split' is plausible but unlikely given that the Gooph's just aren't playing well. I wonder what happened to their 'Pride On Ice'? Sad to see a program with as much history and tradition as ours fall so far........what am I saying!!!! :lol:

Interested in people's perspectives whether its better for Dell to come into the rink Friday with a scoreless streak of 19 seconds or 225 minutes.

I was thinking it would have been a distraction ... on a weekend when we don't need other distractions.

Stats like this are great for the record books and the stat people.

I care about wins and losses.

If that's the case do you know what the difference between winning 1-0 in OT and winning 8-0?

The answer is simple: Nothing. Both are wins. A pretty win, to me, is great, but an ugly win is just as good.

I just want UND to win. Period.

• Upvote 1