SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Softball

supersioux

Just noticed the schedule....http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SPID=6392&SPSID=58593

This makes the 2011 football schedule look like gold. I have to ask why do we sponsor a sport that has four homes games (2 Double Headers)...Against Valley City and Jamestown. Why no USD, SDSU, NDSU, UNI? I know that the transition is tough but we have to be able to manage a better schedule than this. Every other sport does...even baseball manages a few decent DI home games.

Just noticed the schedule....http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SPID=6392&SPSID=58593

This makes the 2011 football schedule look like gold. I have to ask why do we sponsor a sport that has four homes games (2 Double Headers)...Against Valley City and Jamestown. Why no USD, SDSU, NDSU, UNI? I know that the transition is tough but we have to be able to manage a better schedule than this. Every other sport does...even baseball manages a few decent DI home games.

Has there ever been any thought to playing softball in the Alerus Center? It could probably shoe horn in with a shorter right field fence and a taller wall. I think UNI plays some in the Unidome.

That season opening 46-game road trip will be tough. ;)

Seriously, this is the result of not having a viable conference. Hopefully things will look better when we are in the Sky, and we can get some conference home games. The weather is also an issue, but the Alerus is an option that should be looked at if it's doable.

That season opening 46-game road trip will be tough. ;)

Seriously, this is the result of not having a viable conference. Hopefully things will look better when we are in the Sky, and we can get some conference home games. The weather is also an issue, but the Alerus is an option that should be looked at if it's doable.

The Big Sky does not sponsor softball (or baseball). Will the addition of UND and SUU give them enough teams to sponsor those two sports? Right now, teams like Sac State play ball-and-glove sports in other leagues.

The Big Sky does not sponsor softball (or baseball). Will the addition of UND and SUU give them enough teams to sponsor those two sports? Right now, teams like Sac State play ball-and-glove sports in other leagues.

Faison said at the Big Sky announcement that the conference would start sponsoring softball.

I have no idea why there is not at least a home series with USD......................

Faison said at the Big Sky announcement that the conference would start sponsoring softball.

I have no idea why there is not at least a home series with USD......................

Looks like the following BSC schools sponsor softball: Sacramento State, Portland State, Idaho State, Weber State, UNC, Southern Utah and UND, for a total new league of 7. Could also pick up Utah Valley for just this sport to make it an even 8. Wonder if Sac State will prefer to go the UC Davis/Cal Poly route and keep their other sports out West....maybe joining Big West for non-football...rather than venturing to Grand Forks, Greeley, Pocatello and Ogden?

Things look much leaner when it comes to baseball -- Sacramento State, UNC, SUU and UND. Utah Valley also fields a team. Club sport everywhere else.

Also, NDSU's is not much better (ok, just a little), even with a conference affiliation. Four three-game softball homestands against IUPUI, Oakland, SDSU and Centenary. 33 road games before they play at home, and 42 of their 54 games on the road.

http://www.gobison.c...707&SPSID=12130

While future Sioux schedules will no doubt be better, I think our Feb-April climate will work against all of us Dakota schools in our new leagues.

Softball and baseball are just not ever going to be viable sports at the DI level in this region. Softball is needed for Title IX reasons, and with an actual conference on the horizon will be in better shape...................but I can't even imagine what a huge financial drag baseball is becoming since the move to DI.

I know the Alerus option for softball has been discussed by the administration in the past.............perhaps it is just not feasible, but one would think some sort of configuration could be used.

As far as Sac St. moving sports to the Big West.................I doubt the Big Sky will give them that option.

Will be interesting to see how the Big Sky conference softball is formed. The current 5 members that sponsor it play in the 12 member Pacific Coast Softball Conference, a softball only conference, and 3 of those 5 members only recently joined. Sac St. would certainly be opposed to Big Sky softball, as there are 6 California schools in the PCSC. I wonder if there are talks between the Big Sky and the PCSC about merging?

Softball and baseball are just not ever going to be viable sports at the DI level in this region.

NDSU won their NCAA regional in 2009 and finished in the final top 25 and also made the NCAA tourney last year. NDSU does play softball games in the FargoDome- so they could probably do it at the Alerus unless the roof is too low.

• 2 months later...

UND beat Ohio State 7-4 this morning in Tulsa. I have no idea how good OSU is or is not but this is probably the SB team's top win since moving to D1!

**** I just checked - OSU is 5-13 after just beating Iowa St. 8-0 right after the loss to the Sioux.

UND beat Ohio State 7-4 this morning in Tulsa. I have no idea how good OSU is or is not but this is probably the SB team's top win since moving to D1!

**** I just checked - OSU is 5-13 after just beating Iowa St. 8-0 right after the loss to the Sioux.

I would have to agree that it's probably the softball team's best win since moving to D1. A year ago Ohio State finished 39-14 and advanced to the regionals for the fourth time in five seasons, according to the Buckeye website. Furthermore, it was ranked No. 22 in one pre-season poll for the current season and something like 24th in another. And, after all, Ohio State is Big Ten and, I believe, reportedly has the highest athletic budget of any school in the nation. That in itself, I think, is saying something.

• 2 months later...

Great West Softball Tournament

Opening Round:

Houston Baptist 3

South Dakota 0

Utah Valley 5

North Dakota 0

Second Round:

North Dakota 6

South Dakota 2 (eliminated)

Houston Baptist 7 (advances to championship)

Utah Valley 2

Today's action:

North Dakota 3 (advances to championship)

Utah Valley 2 (eliminated)

Championship Game:

North Dakota vs. Houston Baptist

Sioux hit walk-off single to advance past UVU

The University of North Dakota softball team came from behind and hit a walk-off single in the seventh in today at Nygaard Field to advance past Utah Valley 3-2.

The Sioux will now face Houston Baptist as the final two teams in the Great West Conference Tournament at 12:30 p.m. If the Sioux beat HBU, who is undefeated in the tournament, they will play in a decisive final game 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.

• 2 months later...

Softball: UND hires EMU assistant

Eric Oakley, who has served as an assistant at Eastern Michigan University for the last five seasons, was hired to lead the Sioux program on Thursday. He will replace Sami Strinz, who resigned at the end of last season.

While at EMU, Oakley helped the Eagles reach the NCAA tournament once. He also served as the interim coach last year, leading the Eagles to their second-best record in program history.