SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2010-2011

jimdahl

• 1 month later...

The Flyers just traded Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek and 2 draft picks. They also traded Mike Richards, their captain, to LA for Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn. I know the Flyers organization is...well...not the brightest, but is it April 1st today?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=566902&navid=mod-rr-headlines

The Philadelphia Flyers traded captain Mike Richards and forward Rob Bordson to the Los Angeles Kings on Thursday in exchange for winger Wayne Simmonds, center Brayden Schenn and a second-round pick in the 2012 Entry Draft.

The move marks the second massive trade of the day by the Flyers, who have also dealt Jeff Carter to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Jakub Voracek and two 2011 draft picks -- the No. 8 pick in the first round and a third-round pick.

Philly comes away with:

• Wayne Simmonds
  • Brayden Schenn
  • Jakub Voracek
  • CBJ's first round 2011 pick (#8 overall)
  • LAK's second round 2012 pick
  • CBJ's third round 2011 pick

Philly unloads:

• Mike Richards' and Jeff Carter's contracts.
    • I'd say Philly got themselves a decent replacement line and is going to use those picks and solidify their goaltending situation.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=566902&navid=mod-rr-headlines

Philly comes away with:

• Wayne Simmonds
  • Brayden Schenn
  • Jakub Voracek
  • CBJ's first round 2011 pick (#8 overall)
  • LAK's second round 2012 pick
  • CBJ's third round 2011 pick

Philly unloads:

• Mike Richards' and Jeff Carter's contracts.

I'd say Philly got themselves a decent replacement line and is going to use those picks and solidify their goaltending situation.

I can see trading Carter (and his salary). I cannot see letting go of Richards. The Flyers had goaltending issues, but I cannot see signing Bryzgalov to a 9 year, $51M contract ($5.66M/year, although I'm not sure how the cap hit breaks down yearly). Bad move. Overreaction.

I think Philly came out on top in that move.

Carter was meh last year. Richards was good, but replaceable.

As for Bryzgalov, who else was out there? They could have traded Richards for a #1 goaltender I suppose but who would be willing to do so?

I know hindsight was 20/20 but... Boston wanted to trade Thomas before this last season began. I know there was no way of knowing that he'd play as well as he did this year, but... if Philly wanted a tried and decent #1, that was probably the best option they had other than Antti Niemi... and even he has (still has) question marks.

Great goaltending is hard to come by. Bryzgalov has talent. He has shown an upward trend in play in recent years. And you cannot look me straight in the eyes and tell me that Bryzgalov is a step down from Boucher, Bobabobsky (whoever), and Leighton (and whoever else).

In any case, they've at least addressed their concerns in some manner. Now they need to address their jerseys. It looks as though they simply taped their names on the back of their jerseys so if they get rid of a player they can simply peel off the tape, wash, and reuse. Talk about cheap.