SiouxSports.com Forum

Will SiouxSports.com change names?

GeauxSioux

Previous discussion on the topic:

What happens to SiouxSports?

SiouxSports.com Name

In the long run, we want a name that associates itself with UND athletics. There would be no point to running a site named SiouxSports.com when the (e.g.) UND RoughRiders were out there; only old-timers would associate the two.

That said, as mentioned in one of the linked threads, I don't think we're under any particular obligation to discontinue use of the name at the same time as UND (I did not participate in the settlement agreement). Joining UND in going to an interim name has its pros and cons, all of which may not be apparent yet, so we'll see.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the task force group whatever will ask you to change the name of the site like they plan on doing to Siouxland Buffalo or whatever? :D

As I pointed out on another thread, they don't plan to ask Siouxland Buffalo or any other private business to change their name. It was brought up, discussed, and they realized that they had no right to do that. A lot of things get brought up at meetings that have no chance of ever being acted upon.

• 1 year later...

True, it's an old thread, but a newly hot topic.

My answer is 90% the same -- the whole point of the site is to be associated with UND athletics, so if that's not Sioux anymore, then the name needs to change. However, my timeline has changed just a little since these year-old posts... a more recent response. We're still in no hurry, but if UND is really going to hold out for 4 years, I can't imagine staying SiouxSports.com that long.

My answer is 90% the same -- the whole point of the site is to be associated with UND athletics, so if that's not Sioux anymore, then the name needs to change. However, my timeline has changed just a little since these year-old posts... a more recent response. We're still in no hurry, but if UND is really going to hold out for 4 years, I can't imagine staying SiouxSports.com that long.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Bump.

Damn near made it those 4 years, too.  :) 

Have any domain names been 'provisionally' locked down yet?

This announcement may well be the least controversial and most anticipated nickname-related development around here in a long time.  Maybe we can even rally around it.

Bump.

Damn near made it those 4 years, too.  :) 

Have any domain names been 'provisionally' locked down yet?

This announcement may well be the least controversial and most anticipated nickname-related development around here in a long time.  Maybe we can even rally around it.

Only due to me being really slow. I had an interim name (just related to UND, not any of the five finalists) ready to go, but was trying to time it to coincide with some redesign work. When I still wasn't ready to go a year or so ago, I decided there was no point moving to interim name for just one year, so we're now officially waiting for a new nickname.

But the broad principle is still the same -- I want the site to be recognizably associated with UND athletics, so we won't stick with Sioux for long once a new name is chosen. Four more years at the most :D

Edited by jimdahl
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I say keep it siouxsports.com since its historical, just like the logos at the REA.

I actually disagree with this.  I am most definitely was a supporter of the Sioux name (hence my login name), but by keeping the site Siouxsports.com, you could lose any future fans who are wanting to talk about UND sports but wouldn't think to look for siouxsports.com.  Instead, they could be searching for roughriderchat.com or fightinghawktalk.com (or whatever.  :)) and completely miss out.

I actually disagree with this.  I am most definitely was a supporter of the Sioux name (hence my login name), but by keeping the site Siouxsports.com, you could lose any future fans who are wanting to talk about UND sports but wouldn't think to look for siouxsports.com.  Instead, they could be searching for roughriderchat.com or fightinghawktalk.com (or whatever.  :)) and completely miss out.

Yeah, but I have typed siouxsports.com into my web browser so many time, that their is no changing my muscle memory. I'm just not sure I could overcome the change.

Edited by siouxfan512

Yeah, but I have typed siouxsports.com into my web browser so many time, that their is no changing my muscle memory. I'm just not sure I could overcome the change.

Just keep the siouxsports.com domain name and then have it forward to hawksports.com or ridersports.com or whatever it ends up being. Over time, it will become known to everyone and you won't lose anyone.

I'll just throw this out there as a suggestion, for anyone who may be listening. Regardless of what happens with the name of the site, it would be cool to have the top of the website have all of the UND logos, from anything relating to flickertails, to the ND, to the Sioux logos, to Hawk/Roughriders. Just a though.

• Upvote 2

Just keep the siouxsports.com domain name and then have it forward to hawksports.com or ridersports.com or whatever it ends up being. Over time, it will become known to everyone and you won't lose anyone.

Yeah, typing "siouxsports.com" will definitely work for a long time, even after the primary URL changes.

Regardless of what happens with the name of the site, it would be cool to have the top of the website have all of the UND logos, from anything relating to flickertails, to the ND, to the Sioux logos, to Hawk/Roughriders. Just a though.

Unfortunately, there are copyright/trademark problems with that. SiouxSports' lawyer has had some good conversations with UND licensing company's lawyer, in which the ground rules were generally agreed upon that using UND logos in a news capacity (e.g. in scoreboards, adjacent to stories) is acceptable, but putting UND's marks in the masthead (as if this were a UND site) is not. That's why I commissioned the less popular SiouxSports logo.

Unfortunately, there are trademark problems with that. SiouxSports' lawyer has had some nice conversations with UND licensing company's lawyer, in which the ground rules were generally agreed upon that using UND logos to refer to the team (e.g. in scoreboards, adjacent to stories) is acceptable, but putting them in the masthead (as if this were a UND site) is not.

good to know. Thanks for the follow up!