SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky or Summit/Valley?

Blue

aye aye cap'n

Make iit " River Pirates" and you can tie it to the area. Tough to have a name that long so it would be shortened to Pirates.

Thanks to all for the votes of confidence. Didn't wish to tie up this Conference blog with whether or not the NDSU guys thinks someone here has credibility. I'm to old to be offended and he has a point in that I am probably full of hot air. He could have made fun of me for spelling cite with an s in a previous blog but only my former UND roommate sent me a text pointing out my spelling error. I would state he is a District Judge in North Dalota but my friend from NDSU might "call me" on that too.

Anyway, this should get back to the Big Sky blog. Thanks again to the Fighting Sioux family.

Make iit " River Pirates" and you can tie it to the area. Tough to have a name that long so it would be shortened to Pirates.

Thanks to all for the votes of confidence. Didn't wish to tie up this Conference blog with whether or not the NDSU guys thinks someone here has credibility. I'm to old to be offended and he has a point in that I am probably full of hot air. He could have made fun of me for spelling cite with an s in a previous blog but only my former UND roommate sent me a text pointing out my spelling error. I would state he is a District Judge in North Dalota but my friend from NDSU might "call me" on that too.

Anyway, this should get back to the Big Sky blog. Thanks again to the Fighting Sioux family.

Doesn't that describe a lot of us?

Let's try get back on topic....

Other than geography, which may or may not be a valid reason, is there any good reason that the Summit/MVFC would be better than the Big Sky?

I remember being very disappointed when NDSU and SDSU were turned down for the Big Sky back in 2004. [edit: also was disappointed when Cal Poly & UC Davis were invited in September but UND was not] I don't think it was just me, but a general feeling across the whole region. The Big Sky was the destination conference everyone wanted for D-I and now it looked like that door was closed and would not open for the Sioux when the time came for UND to find a D-I conference home. The Big Sky is the golden ring that all four schools wanted when they moved to D-I, and UND being the only one who ultimately got the invitation makes the move even better.

The perception of the Mid-Con was raised considerably when NDSU & SDSU joined them. The irony of that is that D-II upgrades raised the way the conference was looked at before they had even been D-I long enough to qualify for the post season. Cudos to the SU's for doing that for the Summit, but the fact remains that D-II schools were an upgrade for an existing D-I conference. As for the MVFC, it is a solid conference that has a very stable history as the Gateway, maybe even better than the Big Sky, since Big Sky schools tend to move up to the WAC, but IMHO the Big Sky has more recognition and esteem than the MVFC. On top of that, the Big Sky offers opportunities to develop rivalries with the same schools across football and basketball, that consistency will also help fan interest.

Recruiting athletes to play in Big Sky destinations should be easier than Summit/MVFC locations. There are no Summit or MVFC schools in Minnesota or Wisconsin, so there should not be a disadvantage for the Sioux to recruit in the traditional Sioux recruiting grounds. Then add the western US to the UND recruiting footprint and things should only get better. As for the argument that families will not be able to follow their student athletes in the Big Sky, especially in the winter, would you rather go watch your son/daughter in a warm weather or ski destination; or in Detroit, Kansas City or Tulsa?

The size of the conference may be an issue, but I do not think it is a disqualifier, either. The Big Sky is already too spread out to be a bus trip conference, as is the Great West. Other than the old NCC schools, the Summit/MVFC is not a bus conference for UND either. Whether you are traveling 5 hours by bus or by plane, the difference in the time on the road is probably not significant. The Sioux can still schedule out of conference games with NDSU, SDSU, USD and even Northern Iowa. This may be a blessing in disguise, since OOC games may not have to be scheduled against Stony Brook or Northeastern State. OOC games will have more fan appeal against the Dakota schools and potential rivalries in the Big Sky are very appealing.

So, a long winded answer to your question, but yes, IMHO the Big Sky move for UND is indeed a really good thing and it is even better when a school like Montana chooses to remain in the Big Sky. I would rather see Montana, Montana State, Idaho State, et al on the schedule every year than South, East, West Illinois on one schedule and Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW on another. NDSU, SDSU, USD can still be scheduled as OOC games, if it works out, and it more than likely will as the athletic departments of all the schools get an opportunity to look forward and plan for upcoming seasons.

Let's try get back on topic....

Other than geography, which may or may not be a valid reason, is there any good reason that the Summit/MVFC would be better than the Big Sky?

Yes, you would have your rival back. After all of the comments on this site about the manufactured rivalry between NDSU and SDSU, I don't think you will be able to convince too many people about how your rivalry with Montana will be any better. There is a continued multiple decade association with NDSU and SDSU and both schools claimed (believable or not) that each other was now their biggest rival. I don't imagine you will get much talk from U of Mont that UND is their biggest rival. It would be a one sided rivalry. I'm not saying NDSU replaced UND with SDSU, UND will always be NDSU's biggest rival, and I'm not saying the Summit/MVFC is better or worse than the BSC, I actually think both are fairly equal competitively, I'm just saying UND would have their biggest rival and 2 other opponents they have recent history with in the Summit/MVFC that they won't have in the BSC. Not to mention they would resume an old rivalry with UNI in football. and they are rather easy to hate with thier current group of coaches and players.

I hope this isn't taken as smack, it certainly is not meant to be, just my honest opinion.

Yes, you would have your rival back. After all of the comments on this site about the manufactured rivalry between NDSU and SDSU, I don't think you will be able to convince too many people about how your rivalry with Montana will be any better. There is a continued multiple decade association with NDSU and SDSU and both schools claimed (believable or not) that each other was now their biggest rival. I don't imagine you will get much talk from U of Mont that UND is their biggest rival. It would be a one sided rivalry. I'm not saying NDSU replaced UND with SDSU, UND will always be NDSU's biggest rival, and I'm not saying the Summit/MVFC is better or worse than the BSC, I actually think both are fairly equal competitively, I'm just saying UND would have their biggest rival and 2 other opponents they have recent history with in the Summit/MVFC that they won't have in the BSC. Not to mention they would resume an old rivalry with UNI in football. and they are rather easy to hate with thier current group of coaches and players.

I hope this isn't taken as smack, it certainly is not meant to be, just my honest opinion.

I would agree with this. UND and NDSU will always be each others biggest rivals just as SDSU and USD will be each others biggest rivals (especially now that they are back in the same conference and will play yearly). Montana and Montana State are each others biggest rivals but like NDSU has a rivalry with SDSU, UND can have a rivalry with Montana and Montana State. These rivalries are just not as intense as the ones between NDSU and UND or USD and SDSU.

UND and NDSU can still play yearly if they choose to but they must balance what they gain with what they lose. Personally, I think they both lose more than they gain by not playing each other as there is more than just monetary factors to consider.

The best part of joining the Big Sky is UND can still join the Summit/Valley later if they are invited and they see it worthy.

And the only reason to join the Valley Summit is cause of the other Dakota schools.

The only scenario that UND should look to the Midwest for a conference is in the very unlikely event that the Big 12 not only dissipates, but Iowa State and Kansas State are left out of the BCS - causing a major shakeup in Midwestern conferences.

If we only have one non-conference game in such a scenario then I'd prefer it be NDSU. There is a lot of talk about the SD schools but I can tell you that as a former player games the build up for games against USD and SDSU was a lot more like the build up for games against Mankato and St. Cloud than it ever was for a game against NDSU. NDSU hates to admit but they need the rivalry game just as much as we do. The game elevated interest in the fans of both programs and judging by the 8,000 empty seat you'll see in Fargo tomorrow they could use that kind of interest.

You couldn't be more wrong. For those who want to beleive that Oh so many people want to see this happen there are Oh so many who are glad it's not happening and also glad you are not in the same conference as NDSU. Good lord people move on you are in the BSC. Be happy with that and stop obsessing over NDSU. Besides this thread title is about just that isn't it? I think you will be glad you have the flexibility in scheduling now rather than being locked into a yearly affair with one school. I'm sure your AD will be to.

You couldn't be more wrong. For those who want to beleive that Oh so many people want to see this happen there are Oh so many who are glad it's not happening and also glad you are not in the same conference as NDSU. Good lord people move on you are in the BSC. Be happy with that and stop obsessing over NDSU. Besides this thread title is about just that isn't it? I think you will be glad you have the flexibility in scheduling now rather than being locked into a yearly affair with one school. I'm sure your AD will be to.

wonder why NDSU is "so glad" they don't have to play the Sioux? especially after the Sioux have had a chance to catch up in recruiting and with the Big Sky on their schedule!

wonder why NDSU is "so glad" they don't have to play the Sioux? especially after the Sioux have had a chance to catch up in recruiting and with the Big Sky on their schedule!

Yeah right nice try. I don't think you would want to see the results of a NDSU UND football game this year or next or for that matter any time during over the last 7 years. The UND mens Basketball team will find out soon enough on Saturday. The reality is as much as some of your fans would like to think NDSU needs this game NDSU doesn't. You guys really needed it and still do to try to get und's football team back in the spotlight. Face it you are a hockey school first. Have been for the last 40 or so years and always will be. I'm going to enjoy seeing Montana, Montana State and EWU along with Davis and Poly wipe you guys off the field. You can compete with the Idaho's and the UNC's of the Big Sky.

Yeah right nice try. I don't think you would want to see the results of a NDSU UND football game this year or next or for that matter any time during over the last 7 years. The UND mens Basketball team will find out soon enough on Saturday. The reality is as much as some of your fans would like to think NDSU needs this game NDSU doesn't. You guys really needed it and still do to try to get und's football team back in the spotlight. Face it you are a hockey school first. Have been for the last 40 or so years and always will be. I'm going to enjoy seeing Montana, Montana State and EWU along with Davis and Poly wipe you guys off the field. You can compete with the Idaho's and the UNC's of the Big Sky.

You Bison fans sure do bring up hockey alot......................... ;)

The Big Sky conference will put UND in the spotlight. Now that the Sioux have a conference home of the quality of the Big Sky, the recruits will come and the wins will too. UND is able to win championships against the Minnesota's, Wisconsin's and Michigan's of the hockey world. They will also learn to win in the world of Montana, Montana State, and the rest of the BSC.

:lol:

Always nice when the neighbors stop by for a visit.

Glad I could help you out with the visit :D Oh and Merry Christmas to all of you even if you are fans of the wrong school! Or if you prefer Happy Hanukkah or fill in the the blank.... Happy ____________

DI:

You've mellowed over the years. First you congratulated us on the Big Sky, now a Merry Christmas. Nice. You must not be hanging out at Bisonsports.net anymore?

Glad I could help you out with the visit :D Oh and Merry Christmas to all of you even if you are fans of the wrong school! Or if you prefer Happy Hanukkah or fill in the the blank.... Happy ____________

DI:

You've mellowed over the years. First you congratulated us on the Big Sky, now wishing us a Merry Christmas. Nice. You must not be hanging out at Bisonsports.net anymore?